Trannygate!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#25Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 12:29am

Except Paris is Burning is probably transphobic now.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#26Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 12:38am

Nah, Paris is Burning would probably just be a battleground on who the film **really** **belongs** to even when it is about both the drag and trans subcultures and many smaller pockets of subcultures.

Oh, but I have seen criticism of PiB chiefly being Jennie Livingston's greatest crime is being a privileged white woman and **eyeroll**.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#27Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 12:44am

The guys in drag at Stonewall would probably be considered transphobic now, even though they braved the riot cops by forming a kickline and singing

We are the Stonewall girls!
We wear our hair in curls!
We wear no underwear--
We show our pubic hair!

That takes guts. And a sense of humor.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#28Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 1:55am

"That takes guts. And a sense of humor."

Two things that no longer have a home for many in the LGBTQQIA* community.

Of course, histrionic Tumblr rants are now considered activism.

Or is it herstrionic? cistrionic? *trionic?

FindingNamo
#29Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 10:26am

I'm grateful my tumblr feed consists entirely of photos.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#30Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 1:03pm

I get the occasional "I may lose followers for this, but This blog supports LGBT rights!" And they treat it like this badge of honor despite announcing that on Tumblr is like announcing it in The Castro. Don't pretens like it's some profound statement.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#31Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 1:14pm

I'll see things pop up from time to time amongst the Broadway stuff, Amy Poehler gifs, cat gifs, food images, and hot guys on my dashboard. But usually I'll stumble onto it while searching tags for something specific. No matter what you're looking for, someone will be offended by it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#32Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 7:40pm

Easier to watch Jerry Springer and use that as a guide. "Transgender" is preferred, but "Trangenders" is not??

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#33Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 7:54pm

It's because transgender is an adjective not a noun. I knew that without reading the page, but it's also on that page, too.

strummergirl
#34Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 8:35pm

^^^^
Yup

TheatreFan4
#35Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 9:17pm

It's because transgender is an adjective not a noun. I knew that without reading the page, but it's also on that page, too.

Well if we're going to bring grammar into the situation that page should be a hell of a lot longer.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#36Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 9:42pm

Shrug. I hate GLAAD as much as the next person but it's not like they are the originator of these language notions.

Why are gay men so fond of the word tranny, anyway?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#37Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 9:59pm

I blame this tranny -

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#38Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 10:21pm

I miss the days when a man could say, "I love my tranny" and you knew he was talking about his car.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#39Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 10:30pm

That's a trans*am to you, Phyllis.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#40Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 10:42pm

I thought about using the asterisk, but I dumbed it down for bww.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#41Trannygate!
Posted: 4/20/14 at 11:16pm

Dammit. I went down the yourfaveisproblematic/callingoutbigotry wormhole and now I feel incredibly guilty for everything I've ever done. Most of the posts culminate in "Shut the fvck up and sit down, you piece of sh!t." Gonna take a few days to scrub the paranoia that everything I do offends everyone on the planet out of my brain.

But then I wonder if they have a point. I know they do, to some extent - gypsy is indeed an ethnic slur, etc, but it's just hard to take them seriously when they post lists of celebrities they are compiling lists of "problematic" things about. It goes beyond Mel Gibson, Alec Baldwin, Sean Penn. It's Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Benedict Cumberbatch, and the list goes on. To me that's clearly a case of people LOOKING for things to be offended by.

For the record, my all-time favorite thing is "Amy Poehler's problematic depiction of E****** on a Saturday Night Live Sketch." Sat there for ten minutes before I finally got it.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#42Trannygate!
Posted: 4/22/14 at 2:55pm

gypsy is indeed an ethnic slur

Well, but only when she was a Toreadorable.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#43Trannygate!
Posted: 4/23/14 at 10:15pm

Jayne County was banned from Facebook for using the word "tranny"

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

strummergirl
#44Trannygate!
Posted: 4/23/14 at 11:14pm

^^^^^^
Now that's ridiculous. She's an icon of the community.

Against Me!'s brilliant Transgender Dysphoria Blues proves that these labels are neither sacrosanct nor terms to police. They are what we make of it, and both Jayne County and Laura Jane Grace play with the labels, probably because they are more thoughtful because of their experiences.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#45Trannygate!
Posted: 6/14/14 at 8:24pm

Remember everyone: The world was specifically designed to be comfortable to Your Feelings.
You gotta be kidding me with this...

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

TheatreFan4
#46Trannygate!
Posted: 6/14/14 at 9:16pm

Honestly, they can f*** right off. These are the same people who would parade against slut shaming, but kink shaming is A-O-K for them. It's hypocrisy in the highest regard.

FindingNamo
#47Trannygate!
Posted: 6/14/14 at 10:54pm

It's great when people can learn that both things can be true. Incarceration rates are horrible, and prison fantasies can be hot. And the world goes 'round.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#48Trannygate!
Posted: 6/15/14 at 12:24am

Whatever gets you to cum, that's what I say.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#49Trannygate!
Posted: 6/15/14 at 1:36am

Remember the good old days when activists, actually, you know, did things. Searching for bigotry and posting about it on social media isn't activism. I shudder to think what world we'd be living in if Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Larry Kramer, Gandhi, and the like posted about discrimination from the comfort of their homes and never, you know, did anything.

In a country where you can legally be fired in 33 states for being outed as a transgender individual, where there are almost no legal protections or approval for medical treatment and care most transgender people require, where there are chronic problems of unjust and unfair treatment in prisons, where something as routine as going to the bathroom could land a transgender individual in prison in many pockets of the country, calling out a stupid joke Ellen Degeneris made and feeling good about being an activist doesn't sit well with me. I also have no clue where this purging of allies movement came from. Like it or not, the world isn't being run by the transgender community and refusing to acknowledge or accept the importance of help from others in legal spheres and through, you know, actual activism, the movement is intentionally pushing itself further to the fringes of American life.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

Videos