pixeltracker

Darlene Love retires "Christmas Baby Please Come Home" from Letterman- Page 2

Darlene Love retires "Christmas Baby Please Come Home" from Letterman

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#25Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/18/14 at 8:51pm

Well, I feel like I've done all I can for you, Hater. This counted as your Christmas gift.

ArtMan
#26Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/18/14 at 9:39pm

HorseTears, Well, you did know who Res was ...and Grace is your avatar. But check out that song I mentioned. It was really her only hit during the disco years. But the other cuts on the album were equally good.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#27Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/18/14 at 10:20pm

Arty - have we talked about Res on here? I have no recollection of that. Though, yes, I love Res and think its a shame that her career seemed to have petered out after her first very good (if not great) album. Perhaps Res' problem was that she was a bit too "arty" for mainstream R&B success and a bit too "populist" for alternative/indie success. All those walls have broken down now, though. I think she might have been more successful if she was starting out now. I didn't think much of her 2013 EP, though. It was a bit beige for my taste. As for Tata, I actually do know "I Just Keep..." and, yes, I really like it as well. I hope this doesn't sound unkind, but from what I've seen, she never seemed to quite have that magnetic star power that demands to be center stage, background probably is where she was meant to thrive.

So, while we're waiting for Darlene's final Christmas performance on Letterman, how about we enjoy this performance from her Hairspray days? "River Deep, Mountain High" might be my favorite Phil Spector recording of all time. The incredible rawness of Tina Turner's voice, the crack rhythm section, the massive wall-of-sound of the orchestra, chorus and band in unison, and the way it just builds and builds and builds. It's heaven. But every available live rendition of this song has failed to capture the majesty and the intensity of that original recording - including every Ike & Tina performance I've seen. But, when Darlene performed the number on Letterman with full orchestra and chorus, I got chills. The original will never be equaled, but this comes pretty damn close. Wish there was a higher quality version of this available...

Updated On: 12/18/14 at 10:20 PM

FindingNamo
#28Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/20/14 at 12:58am

Tonight's was one of the best in the show's history.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#29Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/20/14 at 12:59am

Darlene brought it tonight!! SOO glad Letterman had her sit down before the performance for a little talk. Working it in that floor length dress and sky scraper heels, getting on top a piano at 73!!! Cool to see Lisa Fischer singing backup too! Such an amazing night, but i was mad they cut her off at the end- the last few years they have gone over and not cut her off, so i would have thought they would have done the same tonight- especially with it being her final. if they had only gone for tiny bit longer...

Darreyl with an L!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#30Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/20/14 at 1:11am

Two words: FLAW. LESS.

Friends who were there at the taping Thursday night were still high from it Friday afternoon.

FindingNamo
#31Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/20/14 at 1:15am

"Darlene brought it tonight!!"

Oooh! Let's think up more canned phrases!

Darlene had it going on! Darlene raised the roooooooof! Darlene was fetch! Darlene serrrrrrrrrrved the children! Could Darlene be any more amazing?!?!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#32Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/20/14 at 1:20am

Darlene kept it real!

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#33Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/20/14 at 1:25am

^ Yes she did- She was giving me life on top of that piano!

Darreyl with an L!
Updated On: 12/20/14 at 01:25 AM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#34Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/20/14 at 1:26am

That heifer can SING!

FindingNamo
#35Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/20/14 at 1:42am

Oh. She. Werrrrrrrrrrked.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#36Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/20/14 at 1:43am

She werqued, bitch.

Updated On: 12/20/14 at 01:43 AM

FindingNamo
#37Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/20/14 at 1:49am

Darlene took them ALL to church.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#38Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/20/14 at 5:18am

For Those Who Missed It

Darreyl with an L!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#39Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/20/14 at 9:27am

She werqued, bitch...and she SANG!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#40Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/20/14 at 9:00pm

For years I watched her sing this on Letterman. It has become a tradition for ,e to watch. Last night was the perfect final performance of it. She looked flawless standing on that piano. I almost cried.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 12/20/14 at 09:00 PM

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#41Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/22/14 at 1:40pm

I didn't get to watch this until yesterday - wanted to watch it with really good speakers. Man, what a terrific way to end it all. Darlene's voice is still so sensational and, YES, what a treat to see Lisa Fischer in the background.

I want Colbert to make it a Valentine's Day tradition to have Darlene on his show each year singing "River Deep, Mountain High".

FindingNamo
#42Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/22/14 at 1:45pm

^^^ Is someone writing this down?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#43Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/22/14 at 11:09pm

Darlene Love's

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#44Darlene Love retires
Posted: 10/12/15 at 4:14pm

Darlene is on Colbert tonight, for those interested.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#45Darlene Love retires
Posted: 10/12/15 at 8:54pm

Oh, fab!  Thanks for the heads up, Tag.  

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#46Darlene Love retires
Posted: 10/13/15 at 1:20am

When I worked at 54 Below I didn't know who she was, but she quickly became the highlight. Girl can sing and put on a show and she's just awesome. I'm glad she's in the spotlight !

FindingNamo
#47Darlene Love retires
Posted: 10/13/15 at 12:41pm

You didn't know the gym teacher from the original cast of Carrie?

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#48Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/22/15 at 2:03am

Well, this is depressing.  Made even worse when you see who her "background singers" are.  

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#49Darlene Love retires
Posted: 12/22/15 at 10:00am

HorseTears said: "Well, this is depressing.  Made even worse when you see who her "background singers" are.  

" Poor Miss Love, No legend should be subjected to that. I bet they made it a condition for her to perform.

When They Go Low, I Go High

Videos