pixeltracker

The Late Joan Rivers: 'Does this urn make my ash look fat?'- Page 24

The Late Joan Rivers: 'Does this urn make my ash look fat?'

FindingNamo
#575God to Joan Rivers: Whose face are you wearing?
Posted: 9/5/14 at 4:59pm

And I would say that her jokes about her own looks were PARTICULARLY feminist because they were criticizing the unrealistic standards that our culture held women to, and still holds women to.

I would say her going after other women, particularly the super-cruel stuff and even more particularly (as even many of her admirers have said in tributes) people she perceived as younger, prettier and more successful than she, was the antithesis of feminism. And when some of the women telling her they were hurt by her and she responded "Oh they aren't HURT" that's a complete reflection of mainstream culture telling women that their honest reactions don't matter.

The main thing that happened in the years when Joan started doing more of the latter than the former was the Reaganization of America and her campaign to redo her face, which I still don't know whether that was her white flag moment or a statement of some sort I will never understand.

I want to say, in the clip of her interviewing theatrical rockers GWAR on one of her shows, the first question she asked was "What is the philosophy behind what you do?"

I do not think looking at Joan's work and asking questions like that is a bad thing, and a testament to its sheer volume and longevity.

With that, i want you to know that I love you but I am off to a rock and roll show so I will be thinking about these things only in my own head for the next few hours.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#576God to Joan Rivers: Whose face are you wearing?
Posted: 9/5/14 at 5:04pm

people she perceived as younger, prettier and more successful than she

That's false.

That's a lie.

That's an untruth you made up.

She was GENEROUS toward younger talent. Everyone knows that.

Ask Sarah Silverman.

FindingNamo
#577God to Joan Rivers: Whose face are you wearing?
Posted: 9/5/14 at 5:24pm

I was paraphrasing Rob Sheffield's appreciation of her in Rolling Stone.

And again, I am talking about the act.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#578God to Joan Rivers: Whose face are you wearing?
Posted: 9/5/14 at 5:37pm

Well, he was WRONG.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#579God to Joan Rivers: Whose face are you wearing?
Posted: 9/5/14 at 8:49pm

Just re-watching Piece of Work on Netflix. Her line about her career "ask a nun why she's a nun,,, she has no choice." If I had one iota of her chutzpah.

FindingNamo
#580God to Joan Rivers: Whose face are you wearing?
Posted: 9/6/14 at 12:07am

Jesus feckin Christ. Rob Sheffield was WRONG. I was WRONG. Joan Rivers, onstage and off, made Mother Teresa look like a slattern. Joan was the first to discover HIV, Luc Montagnier stole it from HER. Anthony Fauci stole it from her. Joan was Patient Zero. Melissa Rivers is DRIPPING with talent. Joan was a second wave feminist. Rabbit Test was a good movie. The boom microphones swinging through the frame were META. Every single contradictory word Joan ever uttered was the plain honest truth including but not limited to "gay men are stupid." I have seen the error of my ways and joined the ranks of the Joan Rivers Fundamentalists and will herewith begin speaking in tongues. Vicious tongues. Oh, look. A TASSLE.

Updated On: 9/6/14 at 12:07 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#581God to Joan Rivers: Whose face are you wearing?
Posted: 9/6/14 at 12:11am

Well, it's about time.

Now let's get some Chinese.

FindingNamo
#582God to Joan Rivers: Whose face are you wearing?
Posted: 9/6/14 at 12:17am

I got indigestion. I'd need several bromos.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
A Director
#584God to Joan Rivers: Whose face are you wearing?
Posted: 9/6/14 at 3:37am

PalJoey - I understand you are mourning, but I'm confused by your statement. "I'm sitting shiva for someone who who meant a lot to me. Carry on, but please be cognizant of my grief."

Are you a member of her family? Are you Jewish? If your answer to both questions is NO, I ask why are you calling your mourning sitting shivah?

It's the family who sits shivah. Joan Rivers' funeral will take place on Sunday. Sitting shivah begins ATFER a funeral.

While you are sitting shivah are you bathing, shaving, going to work, getting your hair cut, or doing your laundry? All are forbidden during shivah. Today, posting on a Broadway World Message Board would also be forbidden.

I've read their will be a red carpet outside Temple Emanu-El on Sunday. Okay. I hope it isn't true, but I've read the carpet will be buried with her. If this is going to happen, I find this tasteless and tacky.

FindingNamo
#585God, why didn't you take Namo instead?
Posted: 9/6/14 at 3:56am

Ok. Enough. Stop.

It doesn't matter who's Jewish or not or who is a family member or a member of a family by choice or not.

It doesn't matter.

Let people mourn as they will mourn. Let them have whatever connection they have. Let them feel whatever they feel. (Unless they're me, of course, because my feelings are wrong.)

When I started this thread I didn't think it would go a week before somebody else started other Joan threads. Instead, this somehow came to be the repository for everything instead of just the place where I said all the things about Joan and her comedy that I've always said about Joan and her comedy, at least for the last 25 years and sometimes on this board and a lot of it in person with people posting on this thread. And all of it, every idea, thought, opinion and especially feeling I have: WRONG. Because all of those things can be wrong and mine were.

Then Joan actually died and then there were all the other assorted threads I assumed would start in the wake of this one. But still this thread became the one, somehow.

I hope everybody gets what they want. Dimmed theater lights. A Guinness World Record for First Known Person to Care About AIDS, hell a THEATER named after Joan Rivers if that's what it will take. A Joan Rivers Memorial Museum in Lower Manhattan with a Windows On The Ground restaurant. A Joan Rivers theme park. A Joan Rivers mink farm with souvenir steel traps.

Whatever it takes. Whatever it takes for people to get through this difficult time and return to some level of happiness. You know, not HAPPY, but happy.

I don't regret starting this thread. I don't regret thinking about comedy and women in comedy (which is kind of my thing, I have seen many more live comedy performances by women than I have ever seen musicals, note to Headband). I do regret trying to gauge the temperature of the community and giving in to peer pressure and trying to pretend I care about Joan Rivers dying, because obviously I couldn't pull it off. Which is a shame, but only reinforces how wrong I am.

So, let people grieve. It's a healing process. Just because I can not relate does not mean that others aren't having very real feelings. Feelings aren't right or wrong (unless they're mine). So let people have them.

This thread is their thread.

Updated On: 9/6/14 at 03:56 AM

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#586God, why didn't you take Namo instead?
Posted: 9/6/14 at 11:17am

Ok. Enough. Stop.

YES. Finally! I feel like this thread has become an Escher print constantly looping back on itself, going no where, technically interesting but ultimately a closed trap.

Death comes for us all some sooner some later. She had a better run than most. She did good she did bad she made the most of what she had and devil take the hindmost.

so it's the laughter we will remember whenever we remember-
RIP Joan Rosenberg.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#587It's About Joan...Well, That's At Least What I Thought
Posted: 9/6/14 at 12:07pm

"I do regret trying to gauge the temperature of the community and giving in to peer pressure and trying to pretend I care about Joan Rivers dying, because obviously I couldn't pull it off."

I'd add creating yet another thread to bookend a self-aggrandizing tome about yourself which was the aim all along. Succinct enough?

I admired Joan's longevity in the business and much of her earlier work.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

FindingNamo
#588It's About Joan...Well, That's At Least What I Thought
Posted: 9/6/14 at 1:33pm

This thread is your thread. It means only what you want it to mean.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#589It's About Joan...Well, That's At Least What I Thought
Posted: 9/6/14 at 1:50pm

This thread is your thread, this thread is my thread
From Joan and Melissa to the Red Carpet arrivals
From the Fashion Police, to the Oxygen Network
This thread was made for you and me.

FindingNamo
#590It's About Joan...Well, That's At Least What I Thought
Posted: 9/6/14 at 2:00pm

Nope this thread is your thread.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#591It's About Joan...Well, That's At Least What I Thought
Posted: 9/6/14 at 2:13pm

For the past week, I have felt like a goose being prepared to be a Joan Rivers pate.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

FindingNamo
#592It's About Joan...Well, That's At Least What I Thought
Posted: 9/6/14 at 2:26pm

Your feelings are you feelings. They are yours to feel.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#593It's About Joan...Well, That's At Least What I Thought
Posted: 9/6/14 at 2:27pm

Just some dried-out toast in a sliver
On the top a...a little chopped liver.

OHHHH

I drink it all day!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#594It's About Joan...Well, That's At Least What I Thought
Posted: 9/6/14 at 11:31pm

Who is going to play Joan in the inevitable Lifetime original movie?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#596It's About Joan...Well, That's At Least What I Thought
Posted: 9/7/14 at 12:00am

"What about the victims?" someone asked.

Apparently, according to this New York Times blog, they loved it.

NY TIMES: Joan Rivers's Fashion Victims Remember Her Sharpest Zingers

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#597It's About Joan...Well, That's At Least What I Thought
Posted: 9/7/14 at 12:17am

I think it's great that there are so many threads about Joan Rivers. I hope for a few more..

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#599It's About Joan...Well, That's At Least What I Thought
Posted: 9/7/14 at 5:37am

Red carpet funeral

....but the world goes 'round

Videos