pixeltracker

89th Academy Awards Thread- Page 5

89th Academy Awards Thread

hork Profile Photo
hork
#10089th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/23/17 at 11:40am

Garfield is a very uneven actor. He can be very good (like in Silence), and then there are performances like in Hacksaw Ridge, where he unintentionally comes off as a psychopath.

But I thought Gibson's direction in the war scenes was great. That's at least one thing he's good at.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#10189th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/24/17 at 11:56pm

I know it's a lost cause, but I'm rooting for Arrival for the top prize Sunday night. I love every single aspect of the film. I truly believe Amy Adams was robbed of a nomination and win. Her performance and that story was just so riveting and poignant. I will never get over the fact Meryl was only nominated for her political rant. Meryl's performance in Florence was simply subpar and can't compare to the other contenders.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#10289th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/25/17 at 1:04am

Meryl's performance in Florence was simply subpar and can't compare to the other contenders.

I disagree 100%.  I thought her performance was absolutely brilliant and probably one of my favorites of her career.  Every comedic moment, every emotional touch and the way she had to sing...all perfect (and very difficult to accomplish). 

I just finished watching Loving and I think it's a story that deserves to be told, but it was so SLOW and monotonous and I really didn't think Negga's performance was nomination-worthy.  I'll be watching Elle tomorrow.  So far, I think Amy Adams and Taraji Henson deserved the spots given to Ruth Negga and Natalie Portman.  Emma Stone will probably win, so it doesn't even really matter.  I'm totally fine with Stone winning and given the recent state of affairs, let La La Land get as many awards as it wants. Not my pick. but I wouldn't be mad about it.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

bear88
#10389th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/25/17 at 4:08am

A string of opinions to annoy various people...

- I not only liked La La Land. I think it's the best of the nominated films I've seen (which now includes everything but Lion and Hacksaw Ridge). It's got flaws that have been beaten into the ground by now. But if it wasn't the Academy Award favorite, the movie wouldn't draw so much resentment. I flat-out enjoyed it more than the other films, and I don't think any of them are masterpieces.

- It won't win anything, but my second-favorite of the nominated films is the underappreciated Hell or High Water. It's not as unique as La La Land, but the film does pack some surprises and some subtle character work along the way. It's a small, tightly-written story that touches on some bigger issues. It would be my choice for Best Original Screenplay.

- A lot of people I respect just love Moonlight, and I didn't. It's a sincere, heartfelt film, and its middle section is very strong. But I didn't really find the ending as moving as others have, in part because I really didn't buy that entire section with "Black." Shoot, that early scene in which the drug dealer delivers a moving speech to "Little" about anti-gay talk is apparently based on real life, but it didn't feel real on the screen. 

- If Hidden Figures was the Academy Award favorite, that film would get the annoyance that everyone throws at La La Land. The source material was fascinating, but it's the sort of movie with black characters who are written so white people aren't uncomfortable at all. And those tiresome, feisty speeches that would never have happened in that environment, along with a nice white supervisor... It's a crowd-pleaser, and tells a nice story that feels like a fairy tale even though it's based on real people.

- The only problem with Viola Davis' performance in Fences is that she's really the lead female character. Otherwise, I have no problem with her winning, and she was the best thing about what was basically a filmed play. I thought Denzel Washington chewed a little too much scenery.

- I respected Manchester by the Sea but didn't particularly like it. I think I like Arrival now more than when I saw it, and I didn't dislike it at the time.

Updated On: 2/25/17 at 04:08 AM

Sam2
#10489th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/25/17 at 10:14am

This is my ranking of the Best Picture nominees. I personally thought Silence was better than every other nominee this year and I still don't understand why it didn't get the awards love it deserves. I have yet to see Fences and Hell or High Water, so I won't include them in my ranking. 

1. Hacksaw Ridge
2. Moonlight
3. La La Land
4. Arrival
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. Arrival
7. Hidden Figures. (This one felt like an awful Lifetime movie to me. I understand that the Academy wanted to nominate some more movies with colored actors during this entire #OscarsSoWhite controverse, but the writing, acting and directing in Hidden Figures was absolutely nothing to write home about.)

hork Profile Photo
hork
#10589th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/25/17 at 11:47am

"Colored actors"?

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#10689th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/25/17 at 3:41pm

Based on what I saw, here are my personal rankings:

1. Hidden Figures 

2. Moonlight

3. Lion

4. Manchester By The Sea

5. La La Land

6. Arrival

7. Fences

(I didn't see Hacksaw Ridge or Hell Or High Water.)

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#10789th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 7:25pm

Ruth Negga looks great, especially with the ACLU ribbon. 

I know she has zero chance, but I would love to see her win. I totally disagree with Mister Matt's assessment...I know the performance was more subtle than showy, but to me, her portrayal of Mildred Loving glowed with warmth and dignity and she absolutely deserves her spot on the shortlist.

Emma Stone is great and all, but it seems like I've seen her play this same performance before in her other movies. I don't see why she's especially deserving this time.

I'd love to see Isabelle Huppert's reaction if she won. Also totally deserving.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$
Updated On: 2/26/17 at 07:25 PM

Mister Matt
#10889th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 8:59pm

And with Best Makeup, we have our first upset.  Are the Russians hacking the Oscars as well?

Mister Matt
#10989th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 9:19pm

That Moana performance was GORGEOUS!  And only 16 years old!

hamiltonboys
#11089th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 9:36pm

Lol I'm 2 for 6 so far, but I'm just glad Arrival got an Oscar.

For Best Picture I'd rank the ones I've seen as

1. Arrival
  2. La La Land
  3. Hidden Figures
  4. Lion
  5. Moonlight
  6. Hacksaw Ridge

I'd be fine with any of them winning- I enjoyed aspects of them all (but La La Land is going to win)

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#11189th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 9:41pm

I screamed when Arrival one! So happy it was awknowledge since I don't think it will take the top prize, which it deserves.

Also, did Auli'i get in the head by one of the waves? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#11289th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 9:45pm

VIOLA!!!

Mister Matt
#11389th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 9:55pm

Also, did Auli'i get in the head by one of the waves?

I think the fabric just swiped the back of her head, but that was it.

Jay Lerner-Z
#11489th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 9:56pm

It's hard to begrudge Viola, but it was clearly a leading role, so really Naomie Harris has just been cheated. Category fraud!

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$
Updated On: 2/26/17 at 09:56 PM

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#11589th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 10:07pm

The move to Supporting for Viola was calculated. If there was any faith for her performance and it's strength then why the move? Her role was clearly leading and should have been placed there. The move robbed a more deserving actress from winning the award in their rightful category. 

This is why I don't put too much stock into award shows. 

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

Mister Matt
#11689th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 10:08pm

It's hard to begrudge Viola, but it was clearly a leading role, so really Naomie Harris has just been cheated. Category fraud!

It's never been that clear.  It was Supporting for Golden Globes as well.  The Tonys categorized it as Featured in 1987 and Leading in 2010.  Drama Desk considered it Featured in both 1987 and 2010.

Updated On: 2/26/17 at 10:08 PM

Jay Lerner-Z
#11789th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 10:12pm

Fair enough, but in terms of this particular movie, I would say Viola was every bit Denzel's equal (at least) and so deserved equal recognition. Still, an Oscar's an Oscar!

Mister Matt
#11889th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 10:24pm

Okay, the tour bus people thing was quite charming.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#11989th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 10:24pm

I'm good w Viola regardless if it was done by maneuvering the category.

Suicide Squad for makeup ( hell for ANY thing) is sticking in my craw tho. 

Jay Lerner-Z
#12089th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 10:27pm

La La Land can't equal the record 11 wins anymore, right?

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#12189th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 10:41pm

I only care about two awards: Best Actress (Portman deserves it, "Jackie" should be a best picture nominee), and Best Picture (come on, "Moonlight", come on!)

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#12289th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 10:44pm

Sorry Sally, I don't think it's her turn- but she's still a contender!

BroadwayConcierge
#12389th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 10:47pm

Is it me, or is this telecast super boring and just not that good? I keep easily drifting away from the screen and onto other things when they're not announcing the winners.

BroadwayConcierge
#12489th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/26/17 at 10:49pm

Sally Durant Plummer said: "I only care about two awards: Best Actress (Portman deserves it, "Jackie" should be a best picture nominee), and Best Picture (come on, "Moonlight", come on!)"

Just to sympathize with this... I thought Portman was extraordinary and award-deserving, too. Her performance really, really stuck with me. It's unfortunate that Stone's performance (which stuck with me just ever so slightly more) came the same season as hers 89th Academy Awards Thread

Videos