pixeltracker

The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill- Page 10

The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#225The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 2:26pm

"Well, who would you like to have direct instead, Bob Crowley after his 'magnificent' work on Tarzan? (sarcasm alert)"

In the event they returned to the Lapine version (which, btw, is not bound to its production design, for those who remember how unwieldy and one-dimensional that was in Berlin), I'd either let Lapine direct it himself as he did in Berlin, or I'd go with a commercial choice like Diane Paulus. For some reason, I also think Susan Stroman might have an interesting take on this material, or at least contribute some great choreography if she elects not to direct it.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#226The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 2:31pm

Diane Paulus would be great for this.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#227The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 2:37pm

I did just have some ideas of who should direct.

Bill Condon
Laurence Connor
Stephen Daldry
John Doyle
Des McAnuff
Sam Mendes
Trevor Nunn
Harold Prince
Bartlett Sher
Alex Timbers

Updated On: 4/4/15 at 02:37 PM

TheatreKid3
#228The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 2:37pm

As much as I love HUNCHBACK and want to see it on Broadway, and as much as I thought this production had a lot of potential, I think this is VERY smart producing on Disney and Schumacher's part.  The show still needs a lot of work, and I would really like to see it with an epic treatment to compare the two (and no, not the DER GLOCKNER one - still don't understand what people see in that production.  The design full of projections and rising cubes was so terrible).

I do not think we will see this on Broadway next season.  If it is indeed going to Chicago to be reworked, I don't think they could do it as quickly as this summer.  I'm assuming it would be summer 2016.  Not only does Disney realize that HUNCHBACK is special, they know it has more potential than many of their shows to gain serious awards attention.  With HAMILTON coming in, there is no way HUNCHBACK (as good as it is) could survive the (deserving) hype Lin's show is getting right now.

I look forward to what they come up with.

Updated On: 4/4/15 at 02:37 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#229The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 2:40pm

Oh, I don't think anyone is too nostalgic for the big cubes, but the book itself was really pretty solid There was an original English version floating around for years.

Updated On: 4/4/15 at 02:40 PM

TheatreKid3
#230The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 2:44pm

Ah, I see.  I do, though, wonder what the futures of the gargoyles will be.  I kind of like how this new production reinterpreted them - and I think it worked to the overall seriousness of the material.  It just depends if Disney thinks it needs some humor to balance out the darkness - kind of like how the Thenardiers' worked for LES MIS.  From what I've heard, it could use a few more light-hearted and/or crowd pleasing moment to have wider appeal.  

Scarywarhol
#231The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 2:50pm

*Although it's worth noting that at least the cubes allowed the actors to be on multiple levels and make some strong images and spacial relationships. There was all that architecture at the Paper Mill, but nothing but a bunch of actors milling around on the floor. I almost wanted to yell during "Out There." It doesn't have to be a huge production to let Quasimodo do ANY of the ugly-graceful movement and acrobatics that are actually DESCRIBED in that frustrating narration. (And that James Baxter's animation pulled off so memorably in the film.)

Updated On: 4/4/15 at 02:50 PM

Scarywarhol
#232The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 2:53pm

TheatreKid, I think it could use that.

The new conception of the Gargoyles didn't necessarily feel wrong to me, but the actors need some kind of physical and vocal work (and personality) to make it interesting and clear--there was nothing to indicate the "congregants" were becoming Gargoyles except, again, the text literally TELLING you.

Updated On: 4/4/15 at 02:53 PM

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#233The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 2:55pm

What frustrates me most about the Paper Mill production is that they didn't bother to change what wasn't working. Unless I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. The excessive narration was panned by pretty much every professional review and many posters on here. Yet it's still in.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Scarywarhol
#234The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 3:00pm

I did notice that one example of narration-describing-what-you-are-looking-at text that Whizzer pointed out was at trimmed when I saw it.

I guess its a big train to turn around once in performances. Hopefully it's looked at very critically before the next step.

Updated On: 4/4/15 at 03:00 PM

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#235The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 3:39pm

I agree that Hunchback has the potential to earn Disney some credibility.  Yes, their shows sell well (usually), but since Lion King, many of them have been pretty stale when compared to the animated movies (in my humble opinion).  The live action ones have fared better.  The depth of this one makes it different, and I sincerely hope they recognize its potential.  And Arden's.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#236The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 4:39pm

"I went on Thursday night and really enjoyed the show. Arden and Page were fantastic and the score was very good and the choir was excellent.  There were flaws but overall it was very good. Regarding next run, I heard that they are planning a run in Chicago in the summer and Broadway in the fall."

Of this year? Wouldn't the Chicago run be announced a long ago? What's your source?

This is great if it's true. I really want this to be on Broadway and like I said, this needs a heavy overhaul for this to be on Broadway. This could have been another LITTLE MERMAID/TARZAN if this version transferred. I especially want to see Arden win a Tony for this. One of the best performances I've seen in my life. If the Chicago run doesn't come true, I hope he at least gets recognition somehow.

And honestly, they should restore the German soundtrack. I listened to it, and the high notes are much more appealing than the lower notes in the US premiere. And out of all musical changes, they need to restore Someday back to its former glory. I had goosebumps for the rest of the song after the ensemble enters. Really bad mistake of cutting most of it and making it a duet between Esmerelda and Phoebus.

Scarywarhol
#237The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 5:44pm

Also, darlings are always going to be killed, but with the really protracted (and thematically unfocused) coda, why did they choose to cut this verse? Quasimodo sings (I may have this a bit wrong, as I haven't read the English lyrics in a long time):

Out there,

Waiting there for me:

Hope and fear and heartbreak

Still, we're born to be

Out there

I thought this was a better distillation of his arc than anything in the film or this new version. He's lost his innocence since first leaving the tower, and lost a lot else, but what other way is there for a person to really live? A lot of Schwartz's lyrics can feel unintentionally on-the-nose or simplistic, but that quiet stanza always struck me as just spare and beautifully simple.

Updated On: 4/4/15 at 05:44 PM

Mattbrain
#238The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 5:44pm

Well, as much as I disagree with a lot of what's been said on this thread, I certainly hope we hear some news of future productions soon.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#239The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 5:51pm

I doubt it would ever happen, but I think this would be mind-blowing if it were to be produced by Lincoln Center and play the Vivian Beaumont. Just imagining how full the orchestra would be, is chill inducing. But I do deeply wish for this to get a Broadway life someday, with the proper lavish and grand treatment it truly deserves! 

JohnyBroadway
#240The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 6:51pm

Kudos to Tom and team for realizing that the show still needs more work before a Broadway bow. I recently saw some footage of the show (pm me if you want details.)  While I  think the entire score and most of the book are solid, the productions storytelling concept needs a complete overhaul. Bring back the Gargoyles!!!! Having the ensemble in their place felt very disjointed at times and completely taken out of the moment. Same goes for the narration! What was flawed about Clopin? The one element that gave me goosebumps though was Arden's entrance. And Frollo's new arc is moving. You actually are emotionally connected with him. Tom Schumacher has been very careful lately on sending projects straight to Broadway, Newsies was the exception. I think the team realizes that they could have a hit on their hands, but extra care is still needed for the piece. I just hope they don't loose Arden and Page.

Mattbrain
#241The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 7:03pm

"Bring back the Gargoyles!!!!"

The gargoyles have been the number one flaw that even people who are fans of the movie have honed in on. I doubt they'll be back any time soon. 

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#242The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 7:08pm

The Lapine book resolved that problem nicely, and even made "A Guy Like You" work. No one is campaigning for the cubes to come back. We want a sensible, working version of the show, and that script and score is it.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Mattbrain
#243The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 7:21pm

Your entitlement is just adorable.

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#244The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 7:35pm

Have you compared the two? I've offered elsewhere on this thread to provide the relevant material necessary.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

nycgogetter
#245The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/4/15 at 11:34pm

I wonder how much of the Lapine script could be used without Lapine directing?

Updated On: 4/4/15 at 11:34 PM

sctrojan65
#246The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/5/15 at 12:30am

As much as I loved the show and was able to look beyond the narration, I can admit that pulling the obvious narratives out of it would be something I would have no problem with.  That was really one of the few standouts I can remember from the show.

Otherwise I loved the music, and the performances (sans one performer earlier in the La Jolla run who wasn't in the action for very long anyway) were excellent in my opinion.  

Could some things like the battles have been staged more realistically? Perhaps.  Could "Topsy Turvy" have been staged with a little more verve and show?  Yes.

Overall though I still enjoyed it, and was much more moved by Arden's performance than a couple of posters who have expressed their opinions on his performance. I thought it was quite an emotional performance, and I think he's a very good actor.  

I do hope this finds its feet and makes the move to Broadway. It has such gorgeous music, and such a meaningful story.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#247The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/5/15 at 1:06am

From Facebook.

Patrick Page

Hey folks--"The Hunchback of Notre Dame" is not transferring to Broadway. If you want to see Michael Arden give a performance for the ages there are two performances Easter Sunday and that's it. Don't miss it.

Guess the mixed reviews killed this one. 

Updated On: 4/5/15 at 01:06 AM

Buddy Plummer2
#248The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/5/15 at 1:08am

I will say this though: transferring a season after this current season not only gives them time to tinker with the show a bit more, but it avoids competing against "Hamilton" (which, like it or not, is the juggernaut of next season).

also, if this production proved anything, it was that an audience responds to this material. Even with a somewhat flawed direction, the score has never sounded better, and from the amount of people I've seen openly weeping during the finale, this show could find an audience.

Mattbrain
#249The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/5/15 at 8:23am

Well, looks like we all wasted our time talkin' about future productions. Lovely.

Videos