FALSETTOS Previews

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#225FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/27/16 at 3:33pm

Saw Falsetto's Wednesday night after seeing the added matinee of Sunday In The Park With George and came away disappointed by the bland casting of Marvin and Whizzer.  I am a huge fan of the piece and have seen numerous productions including the original Playwrights runs and the Broadway mash up.  I went up to Hartford to see a glorious staging by Graciela Daniele with the most spectacular coup de theater ending which should have been borrowed for this production. I even travelled to Trinity College to see an all day cycle of In Trousers, March of the Falsettos and Falsettoland. I loved something about all of those productions but came away from this revival with just a great appreciation for a few of the actors - there was no cathartic reaction for a piece which always has me reaching for tissues.  Those very much appreciated actors were Brandon Urbanowitz as Mendel, young Anthony Rosenthal as Jason  and the always spot on Betsy Wolfe as Cordelia.

As I continue to try to understand my reaction to what I saw at the Kerr last night I start to circle around two major elements - the two leading men and the staging. The building block set piece concept and stingy scenery design that has been heaped on the show continually draws attention to itself. The sophisticated simplicity of the original staging and design placed the show where it belongs - between the actors and the audience. I got the feeling here that the returning original director tried to add flourishes where none were needed and kept drifting back to the original staging during the more important scenes. Going to very literal hospital room furniture for the penultimate scenes and then back to the Fred Flintstone Styrofoam Boulders  (am I showing my age?) was jarring, distancing and anti-climatic. The final set piece felt like a nod to Graciela and would not have been necessary if the two male leads had really brought the material home.

Andrew Rannells took to heart and literally gives us a smarmy unlikeable Whizzer whose only saving grace is his feigned alignment with Jason. Rannells voice came off as grating and his 11 o'clock number "You Gotta Die Sometime" had me agreeing with the lyrics overt literal sentiment because that's all Andrew played. Character actor Christian Borle was all wrong for Marvin. His take on the character seemed to be of someone superior to his situation and very much in control rather than someone finding himself in the situation and being swept up in passion and love. The two actors together made for a very unsympathetic pair which bled out and over the other characters. Why would anyone love Marvin or Whizzer for that matter? Why would the lesbians from next door be friends with them and poor Mendel the most likeable of the bunch how could he not run from everyone involved?

What years ago seemed like a very real and quirky  -from a character and lyric perspective  -show now felt like a series of musical comedy skits with literal blackouts performed by grown up chorus boys rather than an examination of a specific disastrous time of our lives with true heart felt performers inhabiting fantastically neurotic characters who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I did not see any benefit from the writer/director James Lapine revisiting the material.

At the other end of the spectrum was James Lapine's niece Sara Lapine's direction of her uncle's Sunday In The Park with George which was so character specific that it brought new life to another cathartic inducing musical and created goose bumps and tears that her uncle could not find in Falsettos the second time around. Sunday's casting made the afternoon soar while Falsettos casting made it thread water. Sara didn't need to let her direction get in the way of the piece where James seem to think the piece and some new staging would be enough. It was a day of exhilaration and disappointment.

PS: Stephanie Block was fine as Trina - of course she would knock "I'm Breaking Down" out of the park - the casting of a musical comedy behemoth insures that. I would have rather the knowingness of a Barbara Walsh type or the eccentricities of a Faith Prince type - the revival went with safe.

Up In One
Updated On: 10/27/16 at 03:33 PM

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#226FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/27/16 at 6:10pm

Up In One, I saw the show on Wednesday too ( I won the lottery). I also have seen all of the other productions of this show that you have, except the recent one at trinity. I found your review well written and thoughtful and I completely disagree with almost everything you said - except for the praises of ms Bloch  and Mr Uranowitz, they were great. I loved it. I'll write more when I get home. I'm heading back to D.C. and am writing this on my iPad.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#227FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/27/16 at 6:21pm

So you dint cry Up In One?

Stephanatic

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#228FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/27/16 at 6:59pm

South Fl Marc the Trinity College production was in 1992 under the banner "Marvin Trilogy"

South Florida no this production did not draw tears. Sunday in the Park did because it was all encompassing for me, material, performance, production. This iteration of Falsettos was lacking that special quality that could bring all the elements together for me. And Falsettos had a leg up on my favorites list going in.

Up In One

South Fl Marc
#229FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/27/16 at 7:43pm

It's on my list of favorites too and this production had me in tears again.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#230FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/27/16 at 8:23pm

"I went up to Hartford to see a glorious staging by Graciela Daniele with the mosspectacular coup de theater ending which should have been borrowed for this production.

"

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on Graciella's coup de theatre ending? I'm not being snarky - I'm seriously curious and I imagine others are too.

thanks in advance!

Updated On: 10/27/16 at 08:23 PM

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#231FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/27/16 at 8:58pm

On the back wall of the stage - a Names Project quilt was revealed for Whizzer. After several beats of that image sinking in the black panels/curtains that surround it begin to pull away revealing more quilts until the entire back wall is revealed with Whizzers panel being one among hundreds.

Up In One

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#232FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/27/16 at 9:12pm

Up In One said: "On the back wall of the stage - a Names Project quilt was revealed for Whizzer. After several beats of that image sinking in the black panels/curtains that surround it begin to pull away revealing more quilts until the entire back wall is revealed with Whizzers panel being one among hundreds.

"

I actually love that. Thanks for the response. 

South Fl Marc
#233FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/27/16 at 9:27pm

That moment was truly breathtaking and, even though I knew the show backwards by that point, left me stunned.

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#234FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 11/5/16 at 5:11pm

Just got out of the matinee today, and I have to say I was completely bowled over by this. 

First of all, the casting is just so right and the way this ensemble rings meaning, heart, and humor from every word is extremely special. 

The piece just lands and the score feels as refreshingly melodic, quirky, and heart-breaking as ever.

Block is doing her best work yet. Who knew she had this actress in her?? Rannels is shockingly good, shading all of Whizzers bravado with pride, hurt, and uncertainty just as Borle, tightly constricted, shines when he allows his Marvin to let his emotion loose. Uranowitz is a sheer delight.

Huge props to Lapine and Bergasse for keeping the staging inventive, lively, kinetic, and for always keeping it grounded in the characters. 

Excellent work all around and so thrilled this beautiful show has been treated with such care. It paid off, and well. 

"...and in a bed."

Crazy NooNooHead Profile Photo
Crazy NooNooHead
#235FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 11/6/16 at 10:43am

Up In One said: "On the back wall of the stage - a Names Project quilt was revealed for Whizzer. After several beats of that image sinking in the black panels/curtains that surround it begin to pull away revealing more quilts until the entire back wall is revealed with Whizzers panel being one among hundreds."

I teared up a little just reading that.

"I have maggots in my scrotum!"

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#236FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 11/7/16 at 5:23pm

Is there a new discount code, anyone?

Stephanatic

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#237FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 11/7/16 at 5:30pm

Didn't the show open like 2 weeks ago? Kinda surprised that the previews thread is still going strong :)

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#238FALSETTOS Cast Recording
Posted: 11/7/16 at 5:33pm

So happy to read that they started the cast recording yesterday and continue to work on it today

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

And Peggy Profile Photo
And Peggy
#239FALSETTOS Cast Recording
Posted: 11/8/16 at 12:20am

Crazy NooNooHead said: "Up In One said: "On the back wall of the stage - a Names Project quilt was revealed for Whizzer. After several beats of that image sinking in the black panels/curtains that surround it begin to pull away revealing more quilts until the entire back wall is revealed with Whizzers panel being one among hundreds."

I teared up a little just reading that.

"

I first heard about the Hartford production in this article and had a similar reaction. I can't believe future productions WOULDN'T want to incorporate that moment. 

https://www.americantheatre.org/2016/10/27/before-broadway-hartford-stages-falsettos-changed-lives/ 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#240FALSETTOS Cast Recording
Posted: 11/12/16 at 10:04am

Finally saw it last night, and I really liked it overall, but I was so disappointed by Borle's performance.  The man has multiple Tonys, so I can't wrap my head around how boring he was.  My friend, with whom I attended, had no idea he was a successful Broadway actor and said he wasn't very good even before I could state my own opinion.  His frustration, confusion, etc. at the end of Act I was non-existent.  

As everyone else has stated, Block stole the show.  Uranowitz was adorable, the son was good, and even Rannells, who can seem to be one-note, gave me some shades of a performance.  I didn't 100% buy him as weaat the end (physically or vocally), but there were definitely moments of it.  And his swagger was great at the beginning. The lesbians next door didn't have enough to do, so they were good but nothing that stood out.  That's a shame because Betsy Wolfe is pretty incredible, and I am waiting for the role that lets her show all of her capabilities off.  Maybe Frozen...

I knew of the show previously but didn't know it well.  I feel like there are so many Jewish jokes that I didn't know how an audience unfamiliar with things like traif and a Bar Mitzvah would feel about it.  I laughed my behind off at it all.  And to people who said they hated the blocks, I found myself fascinated by everything they did with them.  Before my eyes, the set became a house or a living room.  It happened in front of me but I kind of never noticed it happening.  Perhaps that says a lot about the characters themselves - Trina not realizing/acknowledging that her husband was gay, Marvin not realizing/acknowleding that Whizzer was sick, etc. when all of these things are right in front of them.  Just a thought.

Jimmyb1969
#241FALSETTOS Cast Recording
Posted: 11/13/16 at 10:18am

As someone who sees a lot of theatre...at least 3-4 shows a month, I was extremely disappointed i this production. Christian Borle was like the walking dead. I've seen him in so many other productions and he's great...boy was he miscast. I cannot believe the NYTimes gave this production a good review. They're losing it for me. There was zero chemistry between he and Andrew. And that set! A highschool blackbox production. This is broadway. It completely weighted down a show which should have been so fluid...instead it was like the cast was stuck in cement boots. Stephanie Block was good...look she did what she had to do but there was no chemistry with her and Christian either. The only time Christian connected for me was towards the end with Tracie. Also this is too small a show for such a big house. Circle in the square in a 3/4 formation would have given us the intimacy it needs...killing those blocks and recasting Christian. I kept thinking Cheyenne Jackson would have nailed it. Wow this was a big miss for me. 

aj88
#242FALSETTOS Cast Recording
Posted: 11/13/16 at 7:28pm

I went into FALSETTOS with some concern as many seemed to be criticizing the production, but I held out hope that I would end up on the positive side of the reviews. It also is a show that is very near and dear to my heart because I played Jason over 15 years ago and the guy that played Whizzer in that production was like an older brother to me and shortly thereafter, he coincidentally (and sadly) contracted AIDS and died not long thereafter.

While I was certainly in agreement that Christian Borle kind of blended in and didn't really strike much of a chord with me, I really did like the show....and I feel the standouts were Stephanie J. Block (who seemed to be maybe still battling a cold but her voice kept intensifying the entire show), Brandon Uranowitz, and young Anthony Rosenthal. 

The minimalistic set grew on me because I was unsure what to make of it at first and I also really enjoyed the  tiny little band....for a small orchestra, I thought they served the score well.

I took my boyfriend to the show and he is NOT a musical theatre person in the slightest (although he tends to like darker works and not surprisingly Sondheim). He appreciated the eccentricites of William Finn's score and then near the end of the show, started tearing up (whereas I was nearly sobbing for multiple reasons). He left the show feeling very emotional and that he hadn't felt that way in some time. It was a moment I was happy to share with him. 

It wasn't necessarily perfect, but I was definitely pleased with the production.

Scott Rosson
#243FALSETTOS Cast Recording
Posted: 11/13/16 at 9:04pm

Discount code anybody?

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#244FALSETTOS Cast Recording
Posted: 11/13/16 at 9:37pm

Scott Rosson said: "Discount code anybody?"

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/discount-tickets/falsettos_313649/

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#245FALSETTOS Cast Recording
Posted: 12/11/16 at 1:08am

I'm a bit "eh" about this show. On one hand I LOVE the music. Just love the score! The first act felt a bit long to me and felt like it could use some trimmings. There also wasn't much forward momentum - where was it all heading? And with Borle being pretty bland and unexciting, the whole thing felt a bit bizarre. I mean, who were we suppose to be rooting for? I found I angled more with Trina. I was rooting for her. Block was sensational. Gorgeous voice, beautiful choices. Brandon U was also very good in his role. The two of them stole the show. The second act hooked me a bit more. But, for me, I didn't care for the Marvin/Whizzer romance. Andrew R never made me root for him or care for him, and yes, his vocals were grating. He sings in such an Avenue Q style character voice that doesn't work at all in a realistic drama. And Borle, as noted, looked bored and uninterested and everything was met with a smirk and a shoulder shrug. 

The staging was awful. The building blocks dated the piece. And the backdrop was awful. And why would they use that billowing white parachute material? Could they have at least ironed it? It was so tacky and uninspired. I don't need a grand set, but I mean, give me something beautiful. 

I just felt no emotional impact in this at all. 

Glad I saw it. And I look forward to seeing a better production of it. I can't even listen to this recording because save for Block and the other ladies, I don't care for the men's voices at all.

Margo319
#246FALSETTOS Cast Recording
Posted: 12/12/16 at 2:36am

I absolutely loved this show. I was not familiar with the show at all, but wanted to see this incredible group of actors perform, so I got a front row ticket.  The set was wonderful, as the NYT review said "David Rockwell’s set resembles a child’s building blocks, which are manipulated by the actors. Placed against a shifting Manhattan skyscape, it’s an ingenious illustration of what we are watching: people laboring to arrange a comfortable life for themselves and their loved ones, and continually having to readjust it.".  

Everyone was incredible, Christian Borle was brilliant as Marvin.  I have no idea why anyone would say he was miscast in the part.   The rest of the cast was wonderful, and brought so much emotion to all of their roles.  The music was perfect and I cannot wait for the cast album.  See this while you can guys!!

Margo319
#247FALSETTOS Cast Recording
Posted: 12/12/16 at 2:39am

Cupid Boy2 said: "Scott Rosson said: "Discount code anybody?"

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/discount-tickets/falsettos_313649/

Must use by 11/6 to save so ..... yeah.

"

Videos