pixeltracker

Unpopular theatre opinions- Page 10

Unpopular theatre opinions

WestEndGal
#225Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/22/21 at 5:10am

Plannietink08 said: "Marisha Wallace is an incredible singer but a bad, bad actor. I saw her in WAITRESS and she was completely checked out of the performance, she’d say her line and move on. When she sang it was like magic! I saw a Tuesday matinee so I put it down to low energy.

Then I saw her in HAIRSPRAY and the same thing happened except I saw the show early in the run and on an evening show. She said her line with no acting behind it whatsoever and just stood there waiting for her next line. Then when she opened her mouth to sing it was a completely different story!

I’d listen to her sing the phonebook but her acting leaves a lot to be desired. I’m suddenly understanding why she says in interviews “I auditioned for this role on Broadway but didn’t get it but now I’m playing it in London”
"

I loved Marisha’s super sassy Becky lol! But didn’t get the chance to see her in Hairspray though so can’t comment on that. I agree she’s a fab singer and I just love her personality. She’s been such a bright positive spirit during the pandemic and has such a get up and go attitude, it’s infectious! She’s playing at the Green Room 42 on 7th Nov in NYC (9.30 I think), so if anyone is stuck for someone to see then I’d definitely recommend a Marisha gig (from personal experience).

hearthemsing22
#226Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/23/21 at 12:58am

I’m sorry, but I’m just NOT a fan of Great Comet (which I saw twice, so I definitely gave it a chance!) or The Bands Visit. I appreciate what each show did, but I couldn’t get into it.

VintageSnarker
#227Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/23/21 at 2:20am

wsondheim94 said: "I truly don't get the hype around Come From Away. The score was serviceable but not memorable. There was no real scene-work - it was all just monologues delivered to us. More explaining, than showing. I was bored. Theperformanceswere good. Just hated the show as a show."

I found so many of the jokes cheesy and tiresome. The only part I enjoyed was Jenn Colella's solo. I was baffled when people around me were actually crying. And Ashley did not deserve the Tony for direction.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#228Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/23/21 at 2:28am

ArtMan said: "wsondheim94 said: "I truly don't get the hype around Come From Away. The score was serviceable but not memorable. There was no real scene-work - it was all just monologues delivered to us. More explaining, than showing. I was bored. Theperformanceswere good. Just hated the show as a show."

Thought the same for the most part. Didn't hate it...but didn't love it either. I am giving it a second chance on tour in December.
"

I was underwhelmed when I saw it on Broadway, but saw it on tour pre-pandemic and loved it. It helped that I could sit front row orchestra for less than I paid for further back on Broadway.  

adotburr
#229Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/23/21 at 6:21am

hearthemsing22 said: "I’m sorry, but I’m just NOT a fan of Great Comet (which I saw twice, so I definitely gave it a chance!) or The Bands Visit. I appreciate what each show did, but I couldn’t get into it. "

I haven’t seen either so I can’t agree but that’s how I feel with Waitress. Sat through it twice and felt like torture each time. 

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#230Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/23/21 at 6:26am

I hated that show so much I sat through it twice!  

adotburr
#231Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/23/21 at 6:29am

Impeach2017 said: "I hated that show so much I sat through it twice!"

If this is to me, I definitely did sit through Waitress twice. Not that I need to explain why but clearly I do. I had two different friends wanting to see the show. Went the first time and though it couldn’t be that awful, so gave it a second try with friend two. Already had tickets so I couldn’t back out. Left thinking I couldn’t believe I sat through that torture twice and couldn’t understand why people go crazy for it. To each their own. 

Updated On: 10/23/21 at 06:29 AM

ArtMan
#232Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/23/21 at 8:20am

It makes perfect sense to give something a second chance, whether it is a show, movie, etc to see if you will enjoy it more the second time around.  You may still have that negative opinion, you may not.  But that's how it goes.  As Bobby Brown says "It's My Prerogative"

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#233Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/23/21 at 8:34am

I also typically give shows a second chance if I had a negative reaction the first time around. Especially if I was in a weird frame of mind the first time. I have found that sometimes if my mood was not great or I had something hanging over my head/on my mind at the time of the first viewing, it could have an impact on my overall enjoyment of the show. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

hearthemsing22
#234Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/23/21 at 9:37am

Yeah I think the first time it was because I got a special ticket deal, and then the second time was because this person I was friends with wanted to see Josh Groban. I still didn’t like it. And I almost sort of fell asleep during TBV. To each their own. I’m not going to come after you if you say you don’t like Waitress-you gave it a chance and that’s all people can ask! :) but people shouldn’t act like it’s awful if people don’t like shows like Great Comet or TBV. It’s not a problem. It’s personal preference. You didn’t like Waitress? Okay! I hope you have found a show you truly love though. And we’ll respect each other’s preferences

As a side note though, I did love the SpongeBob musical! A friend won free tickets and took me :)

adotburr
#235Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/23/21 at 10:08am

SpongeBob was an odd musical. I saw it the weekend before it closed. I wish I had seen it earlier in its run because I wanted to see it a second time but couldn’t get back to NYC the next weekend.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#236Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/23/21 at 12:38pm

matt1982 said: "I found Shuffle Along to be one of the most brilliant and thrilling pieces of musical theatre I have ever seen and it should have won best musical in 2016.

Dear Evan Hansen did not make me cry once. In fact I rolled my eyes.

I found Cynthia Erivo to be very average in The Color Purple.

I enjoyed the Sally Field Glass Menagerie more than the Cherry Jones production. In fact, Joe Mantello was the greatest Tom I've seen onstage.

"

THIS. I miss Shuffle Along and it deserves to be revived. 

ArtMan
#237Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/23/21 at 1:58pm

As a side note though, I did love the SpongeBob musical! A friend won free tickets and took me :)"

I LOVED SpongeBob.  It was my favorite show of a eight show trip.  Ironically, I went in thinking I would hate it.  

KathyNYC2
#238Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/23/21 at 3:41pm

I really disliked To Kill A Mockingbird. They just trashed the book IMO.

adotburr
#239Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/23/21 at 3:52pm

KathyNYC2 said: "I really disliked To Kill A Mockingbird. They just trashed the book IMO. "

Tell me more! It’s on my to see list so And I’ve only seen positive things. Id like to hear why you disliked it!

KathyNYC2
#240Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/24/21 at 2:42am

adotburr said: "KathyNYC2 said: "I really disliked To Kill A Mockingbird. They just trashed the book IMO. "

Tell me more! It’s on my to see list so And I’ve only seen positive things. Id like to hear why you disliked it!
"

I’ll def respond to this but super busy at the moment. Give me a day or two. I have seen mostly positive things but not all. 

hearthemsing22
#241Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/24/21 at 8:52am

ArtMan said: "

As a side note though, I did love the SpongeBob musical! A friend won free tickets and took me :)"

I LOVED SpongeBob. It was my favorite show of a eight show trip. Ironically, I went in thinking I would hate it.
"

To be honest I didn’t goin thinking I’d hate it or anything like that. The only thought I had before was-this is a show that takes place underwater. It’s animated. How will they do that? YES IM AWARE OF THE LITTLE MERMAID before anyone points that out. I’m just saying for this particular show that was my only thought beforehand.

I did end up seeing it again! I loved it too :) 

ArtMan
#242Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/24/21 at 10:36am

To be honest I didn’t goin thinking I’d hate it or anything like that. The only thought I had before was-this is a show that takes place underwater. It’s animated. How will they do that? YES IM AWARE OF THE LITTLE MERMAID before anyone points that out. I’m just saying for this particular show that was my only thought beforehand.

I did end up seeing it again! I loved it too :)
"

I had that feeling because I knew absolutely zero about SpongeBob.  Had never watched it.  I also thought, (incorrectly) that it would be too juvenile and childish for me to enjoy.  Was I ever wrong.  Just had a big smile on my face the entire show.

BroadwayNoob
#243Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/25/21 at 1:41am

KathyNYC2 said: "I really disliked To Kill A Mockingbird. They just trashed the book IMO."

I just saw it today for the first time (and thought it honestly was phenomenal) and I haven't read the book in 5 years. I remembered the major plot points so nothing was a surprise, but I think I need to reread the book now haha. 

As for my unpopular opinions - I never liked Dear Evan Hansen in the first place, and the movie was horrible as well, but I think the movie's story is better since they at least exposed Evan's lies to everyone at the end.

Farmer Refuted is my favorite track off of Hamilton

Groundhog Day has been my favorite show I've ever seen

ArtMan
#244Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/25/21 at 9:44am

Laugh for today.  I was reading the comments on our venue's Facebook page  from some who attended Hamilton.  One woman was complaining about the language in it and was very upset.  She stated she would NEVER see it again.  I responded to her that the Broadway cast recording has an explicit language sticker on it and that should have given her a clue, to some of the language in the show.  She responded back to me that she only knew of the show from Disney and youtube.  She stated that HAMILTON IS A FAMILY SHOW AND NOT ADULT ENTERTAINMENT.  THAT IS WHY FAMILIES BRING THEIR CHILDREN.  Can you believe this nub's opinion?  And she is not from Jacksonville but...wait for it...New York.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#245Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/25/21 at 10:12am

You should ask her where she got that perspective.   They didn't "clean up" too much of the language for the filming, so someone wasn't paying attention - my guess is, she didn't take the time to watch it at all, and simply decided since Disney+ carried it, it must be family approved.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ArtMan
#246Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/25/21 at 10:21am

I mean....it has themes of imperialism, war, adultery, death ....Everything a family show should have(?)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#247Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/25/21 at 10:27am

But AMERICAN history should only deal with the good stuff.....right?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ArtMan
#248Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/25/21 at 2:04pm

The themes I mentioned are why Hamilton is not a show for small children.

adotburr
#249Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/25/21 at 2:10pm

I can almost guarantee that lady’s kids have heard curse words before seeing Hamilton.

Videos