pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 100

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2475Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/17/22 at 9:19am

On St. Patrick's Day 2011, I saw "Chicago" for the first time.  Over the years, I have met many of the cast members at the Ambassador and on tour.  28  shows and counting... By the way, happy birthday to Jason Patrick Sands.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Papi2013
#2476Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/17/22 at 1:34pm

JBradshaw said: "celeb Velma’s are rare.
you’re forgetting Sharon Lawrence

mya who rehearsed like crazy had promos but due to an injury. I still consider her a Velma

xena Lucy only did Hollywood.

i wouldn’t expect Terra back we’re friendly and she said precovid no more Miss Kelly

BrodyFosse123 said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Does anyone remember who would be considered the last "celebrity" Velma? The only name that comes to mind is Jasmine Guy. Now that would be inspired casting if the Weisslers would contact her. I know I would LOVE to see Lynda Carter or Lucy Lawless as Mama."

Lynda Carter played Mama Morton in London in 2005. Scroll up as I posted a photo and her singing “When You’re Good to Mama” (I’m not reposting it again).

And yeah, looks like Jasmine Guy was the last “celebrity” to play Velma Kelly (in 2000). There have been other notables like Vicki Lewis, Caroline O’Connor, and Deidre Goodwin, but no one as recognizable as Jasmine. All the stunt casting of the female principals were done with Roxie and Mama Morton.
"

"

I saw Patti Labelle as Morton in the West.  I wish they would do more of that type of stunt casting and leave Roxie and Velma to ones that could really carry the show. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2477Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/17/22 at 2:08pm

The show website shows BRENDA BRAXTON as Mama Morton! 

Is this actually happening? That site definitely isn't always accurate timing-wise. If it's true, WOW! She was one of my favorite Velmas.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#2478Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/17/22 at 2:22pm

She posted an alley way video on her Insta- former cast members have commented they know where she is, but she doesn't say what role or show- she's not on Telecharge as of yet, but it's safe to say it's probably true! She's only 3 years older than Amrya- I'd love to see her Velma again, but I'll take this!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2479Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/17/22 at 2:49pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "On St. Patrick's Day 2011, I saw "Chicago" for the first time."

Bummers you weren’t able to see the show during its glorious heyday: from its explosive start at the Richard Rodgers Theatre in 1996 to its move to the Shubert Theatre a few months later, where it truly was glorious.  The rotating stars doing the show at that time in the late 90s to the early 2000s kept the show one to keep revisiting.  Bebe stayed with the show for 2 years so it was magical seeing all these stars playing Roxie opposite her Velma.  Ute Lemper then replaced her and started the Roxie/Velma star casting period of that time.  

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#2480Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/17/22 at 6:18pm

Brendra Braxton announced she is back in Chicago as Mama Morton

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2481Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/17/22 at 6:20pm

I only started traveling to NYC in 2006.  At the time, I didn't give "Chicago" much of a thought.  The same thing with "Phantom" (which was one of the shows I had planned on seeing in June 2020...sigh.)  Next time I travel to NYC, I want to see "Phantom", "Moulin Rouge", "Company" (if Patti is still in it) and "Chicago".  If the Weisslers cannot cultivate one or two new Velmas, then perhaps it's time to bring in an overseas Velma? 

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2482Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/17/22 at 7:50pm

Brenda Braxton just announced on Facebook that she's joining the company of "Chicago" as Matron Mama Morton!   What I'm not sure is when she begins.  Hayley Swindal is scheduled to be Mama until the 20th of March.  Still, it's fantastic news!

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2483Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/18/22 at 10:56am

Is it possible that Lana Gordon will be the next Velma beginning April 11th?  The reason is that her run as Persephone in "Hadestown" will end April 4th (as Jewelle Blackman will begin her run as Persephone starting April 5th).  Lana Gordon is an awesome Velma.  I've seen her in the role several times on the Cellblock Tour, over the years.  She would be a tremendous mentor to incoming Roxie...Pamela Anderson.  

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#2484Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/18/22 at 11:26am

If I was a betting man, I'd bet on Lana returning to Chicago- I know nothing about that possibility, but judging by the information we do have, it seems more likely than not. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2485Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/18/22 at 11:45am

Lana is an amazing Velma. She'd be a great pair with Pam Anderson. That would get me back to see the show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2486Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/18/22 at 4:19pm

everythingtaboo said: "The show website shows BRENDA BRAXTON as Mama Morton!

Is this actually happening? That site definitely isn't always accurate timing-wise. If it's true, WOW! She was one of my favorite Velmas.
"   https://chicagothemusical.com/cast/   This shows Haley Swindal as Mama.  

Updated On: 3/18/22 at 04:19 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2487Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/18/22 at 5:26pm

The cast of "Chicago" shares a musical tribute to John Kander on his 95th birthday!   https://fb.watch/bQIyr_Zrn7/

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2488Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/22/22 at 11:52pm

This is from Brenda Braxton's Facebook page:  "Seeing #chicagothemusical for the last time before my #mammamorton debut on Thursday!! This cast and orchestra are on 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 Thank you everyone for my put in today. ❤️ David Hyslop, David Bushman and Rob Bowman… YOU ROCK!!💋💋💋

MemorableUserName
#2489Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/23/22 at 12:44pm

I've never seen Chicago. In terms of seating, is House Left or House Right better for this show?

Updated On: 3/23/22 at 12:44 PM

Nolan LuPone
#2490Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/23/22 at 1:55pm

MemorableUserName said: "I've never seen Chicago. In terms of seating, is House Left or House Right better for this show?"

I would recommend house right, HOWEVER: Don't sit in the furthest 5 seats to either side of the house. Viewing will be restricted there.

MemorableUserName
#2491Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/23/22 at 2:09pm

Nolan LuPone said:
I would recommend house right, HOWEVER: Don't sit in the furthest 5 seats to either side of the house. Viewing will be restricted there."

Thank you!

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2492Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/23/22 at 7:01pm

Brenda Braxton's run as Matron Mama Morton is from March 24th --- June 5th (2022).  

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2493Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/25/22 at 2:08pm

Booked my first row ticket for 4/26. Yes I've seen the show 5-7 dozen times, and I risk missing Pam if her attendance falters, but honestly, Brenda back as Mama and potentially Lara back as Velma is worth the price of the ticket. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2494Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/25/22 at 4:48pm

If Lana is Velma w/Anderson as Roxie, I'm willing to try their rush/lotto to see the show again.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2495Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/31/22 at 12:15am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8wE3bLUtZrc

Marilu come back you were prefection

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2496Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/31/22 at 6:58am

She is wonderful indeed.  https://youtu.be/8wE3bLUtZrc

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2497Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/31/22 at 7:08am

JBradshaw said: "https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8wE3bLUtZrc

Marilu come back you were prefection
"

You ARE aware she did CHICAGO in 1997: 25 years ago!  She replaced Ann Reinking.  Marilu is 70 now.  That video you’re watching is a 45 year old Marilu.  

Updated On: 3/31/22 at 07:08 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2498Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 4/1/22 at 7:59pm

https://www.playbill.com/article/kinky-boots-j-harrison-ghee-returns-as-velma-kelly-in-the-munys-chicago-opposite-sarah-bowden-as-roxie-hart?fbclid=IwAR2P2n3BgyRW0h7h2yRtCNxaYM6jbFGb-2sYqkIK8AA4RB7FCqSPujUVtKs

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#2499Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 4/1/22 at 10:11pm

Are we ever going to know who Velma and Billy are starting next week? lol

Videos