Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2550SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:33pm

Yeah......

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2551SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:40pm

Well, you only count toward ratings if you are a Nielsen family.

broadwaytbay Profile Photo
broadwaytbay
#2552SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:46pm

I don't even pretend to understand ratings... but I know I enjoy this show... and clearly as much as everyone likes to complain about it they keep watching... maybe they enjoy it... maybe they enjoy the sense of overwhelming superiority they derive from dissecting and smarming about it. and no smarming may not in fact be a real word.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#2553SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:48pm

So we only got 15 seconds of "At Your Feet" and now since Hit List is going to Broadway Karen is going to steal the Tony from Ivy. I know it is all fake but I have to much invested in this hot mess of a show.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#2554SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:53pm

"I mean, on one hand it was almost twenty years ago, but on the other, it's still kind of icky."

Yeah. I don't blame them for going along with it because it's above their pay grade and Jesse really only knew him for a few weeks. But it's definitely icky and the fact that none of the show creatives saw that is more shocking to me.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2555SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 11:18pm

"Well, you only count toward ratings if you are a Nielsen family. "

And since Kristine Nielsen isn't watching the show, it's ****ed.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano
#2556SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 11:21pm

For the season 3 Christmas episode, will Kyle come back and show Jimmy what broadway would be like if he never wrote music?

Gothampc
#2557SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 11:22pm

Ivy's going to get her butt brought up on charges at Equity. Calling in sick a week after they open when she's not sick?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Gothampc
#2558SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 11:37pm

Did I miss something or was this episode only 30 minutes?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

SporkGoddess
#2559SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 11:51pm

AV Club giving this episode an "F" made me a little too happy.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

JohnyBroadway
#2560SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 11:52pm

When do we get Kyle's Don't forget me?

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2561SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 12:15am

So who covered for Ivy in Bombshell?

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Jordan Catalano
#2562SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 12:21am

Her mother.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#2563SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 1:30am

I'll admit, I teared up at Jimmy's song when he started to choke a bit. But after watching it, I said out loud (to myself) "That was RENT...." and it did feel...tacky.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2564SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 2:35am

It was exploitative and disgusting and I'm livid. All-time low for something that I didn't think could sink any lower.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

peachesr82 Profile Photo
peachesr82
#2565SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 5:16am

That was a really uncomfortable watch. I kept thinking 'oh they're not actually going to..oh they are.' Something felt quite inappropriate about it and especially with two original Rent cast members on the show.

They'd mentioned Johnathan Larson in an earlier episode and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there some kind of Rent poster in Jesse's office? So it even exists in Smash land. I just found the whole thing a little baffling on all levels.

SporkGoddess
#2566SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 5:33am

I just remembered something that was bugging me during the episode. Wasn't Jimmy fired, meaning that he wouldn't be allowed to perform?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#2567SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 7:36am

Peachesr82 - Yes, there was "Rent" poster in office. Everybody has known since the start of the season that "Hit List" was basically another "Rent". Does anybody really think two young guys in their early twenties are going to write a show like "Bombshell"? I don't think having Kyle die was a 100% attempt at being just like Rent (maybe 95% - lol). I believe they wrote it as a way of shaking Jimmy up and turning his life around.
Like almost anyone who liks Broadway, I know the story behind Rent and how similar the episode was to real life. That being said, it really did not bother me. I guess I would leave it up to people who were involved in the original production of Rent to determine if it was "tacky" or "offensive".

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#2568SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 7:59am

broadwaytbay - I am like you, just enjoy the show. I know it is not perfect or totally realistic but it entertains me. I like Hilty and the songs from "Bombshell". Given the right song, McPhee sings well also. Story line got better once they started concentrating on shows going to Broadway instead of the personal issues from Season one.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2569SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 8:41am

So how many gay stereotypes did they manage to wring out of Kyle? He's a sensitive musical theatre writer, possibly promiscuous, with an unrequited love for his straight friend who dies so his straight friend can clean up his act.

Progress!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#2570SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 8:44am

The attempt to shoehorn Hit List into Rent Redux didn't work for me, but I was moved by Jeremy Jordan's last song. Karen as muse to Derek and inspiration to Jimmy and all-around megastar has never worked for me, but I listened to the Bombshell album the other day and I realized I don't mind her voice at all. The golden-toned Kyle flashbacks would have worked better for me if we'd seen parts of those scenes before, because the way they were shown just felt like some kind of Touched By an Angel mishmash.

At the end of the show, I want Ivy to be happy however she defines happy. And I want Derek to throw Karen over that bridge.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2571SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 8:49am

You forgot the 'sissy' stereotype -- that he needed big ole straight Jimmy to protect him.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2572SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 8:51am

Thanks dramamama, you're right. So I'm counting 6 gay cliche/stereotypes.

I guess that's what's bothering more than the Rent connection.

JohnyBroadway
#2573SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 10:06am

Where was the Kyle that we saw last night, the whole season?

Jordan Catalano
#2574SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 10:08am

In heaven. Duh.

Videos