pixeltracker

CINDERELLA Previews Thread.- Page 11

CINDERELLA Previews Thread.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#250CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 8:14pm

I'm most disappointed to read about the barren set design. Same thing with Annie. These are huge shows in huge theatres. When both shows were announced I was excited to see what these top notch designers would do with design. Both Korins and Louizos produced some pretty bare bones designs it sounds like which is saddening considering everything you can do with these shows... The scenic designer in me is pretty sad. CINDERELLA Previews Thread.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

SamIAm2
#251CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 8:21pm

"I honestly can't imagine anyone truly enjoying this show except for extremist liberals and people who do not know or care about the original story of Cinderella."

My lord, Belle9. Have we come to such a point where a belief in social justice makes one an "extreme liberal"? I believe that this may be the crux of why you did not care for the show.

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#252CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 8:34pm

In Belle's defense, I joined Yelp to give an amazing review at a restaurant near my work. I've also read reviews where people have joined to give nasty reviews. Belle isn't the first one to do this.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#253CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 8:40pm

Is anyone else shocked by how mixed early word of mouth is?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#254CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 8:41pm

^Nope. You can't top Eartha Kitt.

Belle9 Profile Photo
Belle9
#255CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 9:27pm

The show specifically calls Jean Michele a liberal. His goal is to cause violence against the palace, which at first is glorified. Eventually things die down a bit. My point in that statement is that the level of political tension in this show is not enjoyable, no matter what side of the fence you are on. Nobody goes into a fairy tale expecting it to be about politics. It's not just about social justice. There are a lot of specific political issues that are displayed in this show that are about much more than that. You can read some of the reviews on the show's facebook page to get more of a taste of why this comes across badly.

Mattbrain
#256CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 9:35pm

How do we know you didn't write one of those reviews, hmmm?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

sterna01
#257CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 9:40pm

It looks like the Fox News Demographic is in a snit.

Updated On: 1/29/13 at 09:40 PM

Belle9 Profile Photo
Belle9
#258CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 9:40pm

I didn't. It's not that it really matters considering there are quite a number of people who wrote similar reviews. I find it strange that I can't post an honest review on this board without everyone being suspicious.

SamIAm2
#259CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 10:17pm

Belle9, I'm not questioning your motives and do appreciate your clarification re your perspective. I totally agree with your point about the show not meeting audiences' expectations and posted on that above (5:59pm tonight).

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#260CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 10:30pm

Apparantly some cuts have already been made and went in tonight. I think they're trying here.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

chrisampm2
#261CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 10:31pm

Belle, add me to the list of folks who think it's great you chimed in. There's got to be a first post for a chatterer and this was yours. Personally, I'm more excited to see the show knowing it doesn't ape what I've already seen, but I understand how that will disappoint others.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#262CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 10:32pm

How do you have Cinderella take her shoe back? WHO THOUGHT OF THIS?! I'm angry.

Lol, sorry but this show sounds awful.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

wonkit
#263CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 10:37pm

I appreciate Belle's review. I was hoping to see something resembling the R&H show I saw in its three TV incarnations but it sounds like the fairy tale has been turned into a social commentary. Liberal or conservative, that isn't really consistent with the nature of fairy tales which are generally about individual happiness and goodness and not the inequities of the world at large.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#264CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 10:44pm

Okay, just to set it straight once more.
They take out the whole "slipper hunt"?
How in the world is that a good idea? Isn't that the biggest plot point of the classic Cinderella story?
That is like making Dorothy not even have the Slippers in "The Wizard of Oz."
Which I know the MUNY production pretty much did that to OZ but look what a mess that show is.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

Belle9 Profile Photo
Belle9
#265CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 10:48pm

Thank you wonkit. It really isn't about being liberal or conservative. The point is the political messages just don't fit into the story. It wasn't done subtly either. Even my friend, who doesn't follow politics at all, was shocked at the content.

The slipper hunt takes place at the very end, after the banquet. However it makes much less sense considering the prince and Cinderella have already spent so much time together at that point. Plus the fact that she literally handed him her shoe was very strange. If she wanted him to find out who she was, why not just tell him?

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#266CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 11:06pm

According to what I read here earlier, the shoes are crystal. They better be used more than once!

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#267CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 11:07pm

I wouldn't be shocked if they're going to be changing some things.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#268CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 11:10pm

It's funny Cinderella handing the prince her shoe was brought up. I assumed it was a costume malfunction and the shoe was supposed to stick to the steps, but didn't, so Laura had to run back and hand him the shoe! I didn't actually think that was planned, but if it was, ha.

The prince does recognize Cinderella in her rags before he puts the shoe on her. He only does that to prove to the rest of the kingdom that she is indeed the girl from the ball. (The whole kingdom is present for this as they are holding the elections at the palace.)

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Belle9 Profile Photo
Belle9
#269CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 11:22pm

Huh. I never thought it might be a malfunction. Did you see it last night also?

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#270CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 11:26pm

Yes, I saw it Monday evening.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Belle9 Profile Photo
Belle9
#271CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 11:30pm

I'd like to hear what others say about that. It would make a lot more sense as a malfunction. I figured she handed it to him for laughs.

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#272CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 11:36pm

The BWW plot thickens. I can't wait to hear more!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#273CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 11:38pm

Now Is the Time is sung by Jean-Michel because he is supposed to be a revolutionary rebel

Oh, for crap's sake.

Did they F*CK up Cinderella by trying to make it Les Miserables?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#274CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 1/29/13 at 11:47pm

I'm kind of dying to see this for myself now... If only I didn't live so far away :-/

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Videos