Hedwig's future

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#250Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/25/14 at 6:30pm

You're probably right and I hope so, but I was just explaining that in general, those dates don't mean much.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#251Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/26/14 at 5:08pm

Looks like the schedule has changed again: No more 10:00 Saturday-night shows as of 9/20. The only Saturday shows listed from that point on are at 7:00. So the schedule will go back to seven shows a week at that point, but a different seven-show schedule than was used during NPH's run. (Then there's still that shift to five shows a week (for now) that starts in mid-October.)

I'm planning on going on Saturday 9/27, the next weekend I'll be in New York, so I've been checking on ticket availability for that day over the past couple weeks. I used to be able to buy tickets for the 10:00 show on that day, then I went back to check again a couple times in the last few days and Telecharge only listed the 7:00 show on the 27th, even though the 10:00 show was still listed on the show's website. I thought it could just be a Telecharge glitch, but I guess not....

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#252Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/26/14 at 6:29pm

I'm as confused as the person who I just talked to at telecharge! They don't seem to have any knowledge of the ten o'clock show changes, they even talked to the box office who also has no knowledge. It is listed on the telecharge and hedwig website as 7pm performances only- I'm ticked because I literally got my sept. 20 tickets a month ago and they are great seats, I'll be bummed to lose them!

Updated On: 8/26/14 at 06:29 PM

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#253Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/26/14 at 7:55pm

Hmm... I'm very curious about this. Let us know what you find out, Phillytheatreguy10. And sorry if you do lose your good seats!

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#254Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/28/14 at 3:25pm

UPDATE:
Despite the fact it is not listed on their website, after persistently calling Telecharge, I finally got someone who put in the leg work to help me- the result was the Supervisor calling me back and telling me the show is still planned for a 10PM performance on Sept. 20. I still haven't seen a refund posted to my account to suggest contrary. I'm still unsure, but I'm out of town and cannot physically go to the Belasco to check out the situation. Any suggestions? Has anyone else been notified of cancelled 10PM performances on different dates being cancelled?

#255Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/28/14 at 3:35pm

The show for that night (9/20) will go on; but the rest of the 10PM shows for Rannells's run after that date have been canceled and their ticket buyers shifted to other performances. The story I have (from an impeccable source) is that the producers came to the conclusion that an 8 show week is not in the best interests of the Hedwig performer. And despite its raucous, amazing audience (always the most fun to perform for, according to the cast and band), the 10PM show was not a big seller (as measured by premium seating prices) even at the height of NPH-mania.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#256Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/28/14 at 3:40pm

I agree the 10pm show was not a big seller but most likely because most people didn't know it's possible to have a Bway show at 10pm!

From checking tickets during NPH, I noticed the Wed and Thu eve performances were almost always sold out. This makes sense since a lot of people who buy premium seats tend to be corporate (and they normally entertain clients during the week versus Fri-Sun.)

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#257Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/28/14 at 3:50pm

"I agree the 10pm show was not a big seller but most likely because most people didn't know it's possible to have a Bway show at 10pm!"

Are you talking about when Neil Patrick Harris was in the role? If so, I believe the 10pm time sold out quite often.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#258Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/28/14 at 4:35pm

IMO, the 10 PM was the best performance. It had the best energy. If anything, I'd scrap the Sunday matinee. That crowd was deader than a doornail.

(IMO, they should do a 2 show Sat. with the 7 and 10 and get rid of that Sunday mat. This is not a matinee crowd. I think they'd benefit from a Monday night.)

So what are they going to do? A 2 PM on Sat.-that's a BAD idea. The matinees for this show are just not as energetic (the only time I witnessed a walk out was at a matinee). They can't think a six performance a week schedule will benefit them. If they're going to trade the 10 PM for anything, I'd say put in a Monday-there are less shows with Monday nights so they can provide that as an option. Updated On: 8/28/14 at 04:35 PM

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#259Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/28/14 at 4:41pm

It does seem rather odd that the only Saturday performance will now be over by 8:45--and that it'll be earlier than the weeknight shows. I loved the energy of the 10:00 show when I went, but if they want to do away with it I wish the Saturday show would at least be moved to 8:00!

averagebwaynut Profile Photo
averagebwaynut
#260Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/28/14 at 8:48pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see them move to an 8pm show on Saturday after Andrew leaves. But if they're canceling the last few late shows on Saturday night, I don't know that they'd also want to potentially inconvenience a second group of ticketholders by changing the performance time for them as well. Yes, there might be little harm done -- making a show later is easier than making it earlier. But as odd as it might be for 3 or 4 weeks (unsure how many they are canceling), they might just decide to leave it alone if they have a lot of tickets sold for the earlier show already.

As for "energy", I agree that the Saturday 10pm show had an awesome vibe. But energy and vibe isn't going to keep the show running. If they've decided that they should only play seven, it behooves them to pick the show to cancel that is selling the most poorly.

Also, I don't think we can underestimate the exhaustion factor. As it is, playing two evening shows within five hours was pretty unusual and -- I can only imagine -- draining for all concerned. Yes, NPH did it. Others might be able to do it too. But like NPH, Andrew doesn't have an understudy. If they decided that 8 was too many and they wanted to do seven that also wouldn't be unduly taxing, canceling one of those Saturday night shows helps a lot to make that weekend schedule more bearable -- more so, in my opinion, than the Sunday matinee.

"No matter how much you want the part, never let 'em see you sweat." -- Old Dry Idea commercial

Renthead1980
#261Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/28/14 at 10:43pm

Has this show been selling sro lately , if so what is the line like ? I'm coming to ny for the flea and trying to plan in advance

nightnic001 Profile Photo
nightnic001
#262Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/28/14 at 11:06pm

The crowd was super dead last Sunday! It was my first time seeing the show as well. Still loved the show, but the crowd was definitely weak!

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#263Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/28/14 at 11:41pm

Anyone think Billy Porter could make an interesting next Hedwig?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#264Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/28/14 at 11:48pm

Most if not all the shows were sold out. When I was looking at tickets before and immediately after the Tony awards for performances in July/August, I noticed there were always seats available on Sat 10pm evenings whereas Wed/Thu/Fri were almost always sold out. You're right though that by performance time the 10pm shows were indeed sold out.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#265Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/28/14 at 11:50pm

Sadly no. They did sell SRO on Andrew's first night but the next day they did not. Hedwig is on TKTS 40% off though and you can buy $49 balcony seats.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#266Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/28/14 at 11:54pm

I loved the energy of the 10pm show as well! I was at NPH's last 10pm show on Aug 16th and his jokes were hilarious!!! There was a portly man in the box seat who Hedwig picked on and literally told him to show his man-tits! Unbelievable but the entire audience was definitely laughing (and so did the guy!) There was an empty seat in the 3rd row and so Hedwig invited a standing room person to come down and sit on it ---- but she had big tits and Hedwig could not help but comment on her big tits. Note no one looked like they were offended.

MidnightRadio Profile Photo
MidnightRadio
#267Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/30/14 at 1:19am

No SRO since Andrews opening night and the box office said they don't see themselves selling it any time soon. Lotto is still quite busy but the 49 dollar balcony seats do just fine if you're pinched for cash like me!

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#268Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/30/14 at 12:41pm

SirNot, I think Porter would be a great choice, but if they try color-blind casting my choice would be Colman Domingo. I know it would never happen, but I can just imagine how amazing he would be in that role.

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#269Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/30/14 at 12:46pm

I'd love to see Laverne Cox, I don't know if she can sing, but it would be cool to see an actual transvestite play Hedwig.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#270Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/30/14 at 12:51pm

She said she won't publicly sing.

Frankly, I don't care who plays the role as long as they do it justice.

I prefer the Broadway types to the A-listers myself.

FindingNamo
#271Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/30/14 at 12:57pm

And actual transvestite, eh?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Reillyhickey Profile Photo
Reillyhickey
#272Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/30/14 at 2:33pm

Has anyone purchased seats for this through TKTS? If so, how good were the seats?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#273Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/30/14 at 2:42pm

"but it would be cool to see an actual transvestite play Hedwig."

"An actual transvestite?" Why does that matter?

brdway411
#274Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/30/14 at 5:24pm

I went to TKTS last week to see what they were offering. They had Orchestra seats all the way over...Partial view for $99.. No thank you.

Videos