pixeltracker

Official "Beauty & the Beast" Film Adaptation Thread- Page 11

Official "Beauty & the Beast" Film Adaptation Thread

Theatrefan2
#250Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/6/15 at 1:19am

I hate being politically correct or incorrect but personally I find that certain casting I cannot wrap my head around. And Le Miz has just done it again. Sorry but I do not believe a black Eponine or Enjorlas. They did it the first time fine, but they could have gone back to normal casting for te cast change. As I have said just one person's opinion.

Starship
#251Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/6/15 at 2:52am

I think there's a lot of bits and pieces that go with casting film/stage roles. The name, talent, and availability of an actor are obviously all factors in casting roles that I feel people forget about commonly. I'm sure that some directors are silly and only want to cast white actors in their roles, but I don't think casting directors purposely "white wash" films nor do I think having minorities as extras is saying that they don't trust them for lead roles. I honestly find it far more offensive when movies/shows cast minorities in random roles just to please people's complaints. Half the time it doesn't even make sense with the storyline and is just something thrown in.

Race doesn't matter to me and although racism exists everywhere, I don't think it's fair to hate on films just because there isn't a minority as a lead.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#252Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/6/15 at 10:24am

"Timothy Spall is a little too young for Maurice. I expected older or older-looking"

Timothy Spall is 58 years old. His actual age is appropriate for the part, and I'm sure they could do a little make-up job to make him look older if they needed to.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#253Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/6/15 at 10:26am

They had a couple black people as extras during Cinderella's wedding.

WELL THAT SOLVES EVERYTHING

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#254Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/6/15 at 10:35am

^ Slow. Mutherf*cking. Clap.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#255Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/6/15 at 12:23pm

I hate being politically correct or incorrect but personally I find that certain casting I cannot wrap my head around. And Le Miz has just done it again. Sorry but I do not believe a black Eponine or Enjorlas. They did it the first time fine, but they could have gone back to normal casting for te cast change. As I have said just one person's opinion.

"Normal" casting? Sweet Jesus.

I wish to God this was just "one person's opinion."

We all know black people weren't invented until the civil war, and they didn't show up again until the 1930s as maids in movies. We all know that.

How could there be black people in the French Revolution or in Germany while the Grimm brothers were writing their stories. It's just not true! We all know that.

Black people weren't allowed to exist until we wrote them out of our history books, then complained about it and wrote them in. Now we're working hard to write them out again.

And there's no such thing as Asians.

Oh! ... and "Sweet Jesus" was white. We all know that, too.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 3/6/15 at 12:23 PM

degrassifan
#256Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/6/15 at 12:44pm

"Someone else mentioned that the upcoming live-action Cinderella also has multiracial extras and found it "neat." Well, I think it's insulting and just pandering to minorities. They're pretty much saying, we don't trust you for the major roles, but you can be one of the silent extras. They're just throwing in a few people of color to seem diverse. Otherwise, why even have black townspeople?"

Well, they don't have black, Hispanic, and Asian people as the major characters because the film is based on the animated version, so the major characters resemble their animated counterparts. However, they cast minorities in other roles. The Captain of the Guard/Prince Charming's best friend was black; there was an African princess (I think her name was Imani) that was presented at the ball; (SPOILER) a major but minor character was Chelina, a Spanish princess that the Prince was to have an arranged marriage with (END SPOILER); the slipper was brought to the home of a wealthy and noble family that happened to be black and they had some dialogue, etc.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#257Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/6/15 at 12:54pm

But they really don't resemble their animated counterparts in the new "Cinderella."

None of the animated cast spoke with British accents. The fairy godmother looks nothing like the one from the animated movie (not even close), and neither do the stepsisters.

In fact, the only thing they have in common is they're white.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 3/6/15 at 12:54 PM

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#258Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/6/15 at 2:04pm

Incidentally, Hugh Grant was on Watch What Happens Live last week, and Andy Cohen asks him about his early movie, Maurice, except Cohen pronounced it as "Maw-REESE," but in the movie they say it like "Morris."

Anyway, the mention of Timothy Spall as Maurice made me wonder, how will they pronounce it, since the cast will be entirely British?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

StageManager2
#259Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/6/15 at 2:04pm

Incidentally, Hugh Grant was on Watch What Happens Live last week, and Andy Cohen asks him about his early movie, Maurice, except Cohen pronounced it as "Maw-REESE," but in the movie they say it like "Morris."

Anyway, the mention of Timothy Spall as Maurice made me wonder, how will they pronounce it, since the cast will be entirely British?

Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#260Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/6/15 at 5:11pm

I imagine that, as the majority of the character names in the piece are French, as opposed to one or two, they'll say them with the accent at the end. A Brit would pronounce Gaston as GASton and not GasTON traditionally, but especially with the way the music is written, the accent has to fall where it does or a number of moments in the score will not make sense.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#261Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/6/15 at 5:29pm

I imagine they'll pronounce everything the way they did in the original movie. Everyone is used to the names sounding the way they are by now.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#262Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/6/15 at 7:19pm

About 40 years ago, Disney did a live-action television remake of "Cinderella" with a multi-ethnic cast. When we're talking about fantasy, I really don't see any reason that we have to worry about whether a white father and mother could give birth to a black child, for example -- it's magic, just like turning the pumpkin into a coach.

As far as Nikki James as Eponine, it was clear that we, the audience, were supposed to see her as a white CHARACTER, because there is no magic or fantasy in Les Miz, and her two white parents would be likely to give birth to a white child (unless Mme. T. was fooling around, which is always a possibility with her).

I know we've beaten this horse to death many times in other threads, but, to me, as long as the audience doesn't get confused, minority actors should be free to play white roles because there is still a disparity in the roles available to minority actors. Could a black man play Ben Franklin? Sure, if he's made up to look like him, and it's obvious that the character is BF. OTOH, a play about race can't reasonably use any but the most light-skinned actors to play whites, because the audience will go berserk trying to figure out who is who.

In contrast, the only time I think it is ok to use white actors to play black people is if the character is supposed to be someone "passing" as white. I once wrote a short story that took place in Maryland, during the Civil War, where the white narrator specifically comments that she'd love to have the golden curls and creamy skin of her new housekeeper, instead of her own swarthy complexion. At the end of the story, the narrator discovers that her housekeeper is an escaped slave eluding the Confederate Army, and not the widow of a Union soldier, as she pretends to be. I think that the housekeeper almost HAS to be a white actor in a similar story on stage, or the audience will guess the plot twist.

In any event, I applaud Broadway's efforts to open up what were previously "white" roles to anyone who can play them well. Casting a black actor doesn't make the character black -- "suspending disbelief" should apply to race in most circumstances, just as it applies to accepting singing in a musical as if it were talking.

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

StageManager2
#263Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/6/15 at 7:39pm

About 40 years ago, Disney did a live-action television remake of "Cinderella" with a multi-ethnic cast.

Try 18 years ago. I'm assuming you're referring to the 1997 R&H Cinderella, with Brandy as Cinderella, Whitney Houston as the Fairy Godmother, Bernadette Peters as the Stepmother, Whoopi Goldberg as the Queen, Victor Garber as The King, and Paolo Montalban as the Prince.

Disney would not have attempted this in the seventies.

Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia

beautywickedlover
#264Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/10/15 at 7:38pm

The Wall Street Journal confirmed that the songs we all know will be featured in the film. Plus, we can expect it to be released around 2017.

"“Beauty and the Beast,” featuring the same songs as the 1992 animated hit, will likely follow in 2017."

With ‘Cinderella,’ Disney Recycles Fairy Tales, Minus the Cartoons

broadwayboy223
#265Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/10/15 at 8:44pm

Does that there not including the full Broadway score? They should at least put in Home and A change in me. And if can't love her.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#266Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/10/15 at 8:47pm

If they don't put minorities in the film, they're racist. If they DO put minorities in the film, they're still racist. What is it about race and Disney that get's people clutching their pearls? Lordy.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Mrtrobz
#267Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/11/15 at 10:23am

Tim Rice is listed for songs so they'll be putting in some if not the majority, although from recent interviews they've said they are going to follow the traditional fairytale but introduce new characters. Filming starts May 18th.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#268Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/11/15 at 10:57am

New characters? Interesting..

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Mrtrobz
JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#270Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/11/15 at 5:33pm

I LOVE the songs "Home" and "If I Can't Love Her" hope they make it to the movie.

Jonwo
#271Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/12/15 at 12:38am

I imagine they could keep all the songs written from the stage version but cut some if not all the reprises and even add a new song.

Mrtrobz
#272Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/12/15 at 1:30am

As long as they have the original animated film songs, Home and If I can't love her I will be happy, of course I would love them to keep the majority or all of the Broadway songs but some of them could be skipped and still have time to develop the characters and make a great movie, the animated movie proved as much, I guess Me would be a good one to have in there for Gaston, other than that A change in Me and No matter what would be great to hear on film but they will probably be the first to go.

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#273Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/12/15 at 6:12am

Hopefully "Human Again" will be included

beautywickedlover
#274Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 3/12/15 at 11:54pm

New interview with Emma. She's slightly terrified of singing in the film.

Emma Watson Is Slightly Terrified to Sing in Beauty and the Beast

Videos