Lea Michele on Twitter

VintageSnarker
#250Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 1:07pm

Back Row said: "dexter3 said: "Her. Career. Is. Over."

Actually, this may be the jump start it needed. In The Age of Kardashian, what do you think the odds are that she will land a reality show called "Lea Michele is Horrible to People" and make $20 million a year for just being Lea?
"

As bad as things are right now, I don't think she's ready to try to make it as a conservative media personality. 

Wildcard
#251Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 1:34pm

The young Lea clips make me think of Amanda Buckman from Addams Family Values. So calculated…

Lea Michele Twitter

skies Profile Photo
skies
#252Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 1:59pm

JGPR2 said: "" Her. Career. Is. Over. "

So she stays at home and raises her child with her husband with millions of dollars in the bank, tough life -lol. She waits 4-5 years after the child is older and then does an "apology" tour and many people will let it go. You have professional athletes who commit a felony and all is forgiven.
"

Forget professional athletes, there are many male actors that have done far worse and come back and all is forgiven.

I've always liked Lea, but there has simply been way too much smoke through the years to deny she is hell on wheels to those around her she doesn't deem "worthy".    It has to be bad for her damage control team to convince Lea  to finally publicly acknowledge this "perception" (HA!!) of her from others.   Her TV show "The Mayor" was primarily a Black Cast and David Diggs was one of the producers, so this racist tag on her persona is not going to sit well with many.

Having said that, Ryan Murphy will probably still give her gigs, and her PR  team will arrange some redemption narrative curve for her to hoist her bandwagon on.   

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren
Updated On: 6/4/20 at 01:59 PM

SporkGoddess
#253Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 2:16pm

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why her behavior on the set of Ragtime was tolerated? It's not like she was that famous at the time or couldn't be replaced. Did she keep that side of her hidden from people who could actually do something about it?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#254Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 2:47pm

dexter3 said: "Her. Career. Is. Over."

She will continue to be a brand to the women who relate to her. Karens are a huge demographic. They relate to feeling like a victim and no one likes them, etc. Right now there are a lot of people who feel bad for her and relate to her. They will never put that in print but they will still support her.  I notice that many of the toxic people in this country aren’t vocal. They are insidious. They fly under the radar. They know better than to speak openly and ruin how they are perceived. Lea may not get A list movies or musicals, but she will make bank in Hallmark films, Christmas albums for Karens, Payless commercials, Jenny Craig, opening day at Dollywood,white bread endorsement crap. She is far from down. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#255Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 3:34pm

JP2 said: "AADA81 said: "

The woman simply tweeted something yesterday in support of people involved in the current protests against racist systems. The response from'Glee' cast members are decades old, unresolved issues and resentments that have nothing to do with this and yet are now destroying this person's life. And the amount of "glee" being expressed over this is disturbing. There is no proportion here."

You don't understand why a black woman who Lea Michele treated like absolute scum would react to Lea tweeting support for BLM????

We have HAD it with people like Lea. We have been mistreated by entitled white people like Lea all our lives. It ends now.

Michele was not just supposedly mean or disrespectful only to black actors, she was mean to anyone who she thought she could be and get away with.  If she did those things, it makes her a mean, nasty, abusive person.  It doesn't make her a racist.  But, hey, you call her that and let everyone call her that and destroy her career.  You'll sleep better at night, I'm sure, as pathetic as that is.

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#256Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 3:39pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I hate defending her in any way but I will say that I don’t believe she’s a racist. If she’s anything she’s the textbook definition of “classist”."

I would agree with that statement, from the sound of things.  She certainly seems to have been an equal opportunity abuser.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#257Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 4:20pm

AADA81 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "I hate defending her in any way but I will say that I don’t believe she’s a racist. If she’s anything she’s the textbook definition of “classist”."

I would agree with that statement, from the sound of things. She certainly seems to have been an equal opportunity abuser.
"

Her mean-spirited and rude behavior is definitely rooted in class and/or status perceptions. She only acts out toward people she perceives to be of a lower status than herself, at least in a professional context. Understudies and co-stars, background actors and assistants, etc. Of course she's all sweetness and light with people who can advance her career (like Ryan Murphy) or people whom she perceives to be on her level. In the Spring Awakening years she pretty much only socialized with Groff outside of work.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

UnwoundFantasies
#258Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 4:26pm

Completely agree with all of this. I don’t think it’s straight up racism, though it does of course play a part. I think it’s more likely classism, it seems like she doesn’t really like or care about anyone she deems to be below her. I think she would consider POC probably in this category, though it’s certainly not exclusive.

It makes sense now that she and Jonathan Groff were and are still so close, she regarded him as her equal during Spring Awakening. Similarly, how she regarded Cory Monteith. Likewise she’s still friendly with Emma Roberts who was the main lead in Scream Queens, I think.

UnwoundFantasies
#259Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 4:27pm

What was the other tweet from Elizabeth? Both of her tweets that were linked in this thread are now unavailable.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#260Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 4:32pm

"Lot of people are assuming that Lea Michele mistreated me. Let me state it clearly that I was never mistreated by her. And if some of the cast were treated badly then she has apologized for it which is wonderful. But being called a racist is too heavy & unfair a burden for most of us, specially in these troubled times. So, please be compassionate, careful & responsible before we accuse anyone of this horrible thing called racism."  -Iqbal Theba

“Lea is still one of my favorite co-stars that I have had the pleasure of working with. She is extremely hard working and super fun to be around. Her work ethic is so strong it forces you to always be on top of your game, and that’s something I looked forward to everyday on set. I definitely learned a lot. When jumping onto a hugely successful and established show like Glee, I went into it expecting to be known as the ‘new guy’ for at least a month, but that wasn’t the case at all. I almost immediately felt welcomed, and to be totally honest, out of everyone, Lea was the most friendly to me. I can only speak for myself and my own experience, but from what I saw during my time on set, there was nothing but professionalism and a genuine sense of community amongst the cast and crew.  No one showed any signs of discomfort while Lea was on set. If I’m basing my opinion off my season, there definitely shouldn’t be a reason for a backlash"  - Dean Geyer 

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#261Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 4:34pm

UnwoundFantasies said: "Completely agree with all of this. I don’t think it’s straight up racism, though it does of course play a part."

The original main cast of Glee was largely white, with a handful of POC actors in smaller, supporting roles. The same is true of the OBC of Spring Awakening. I think race plays a part insofar as Black/POC actors are often relegated to supporting status whereas the main cast is often very white. So if you're someone who's heavily invested in class perception and only want to act kindly toward people you perceive as at/above your level, that's going to be a pretty homogeneous group in a lot of cases.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

aimeecurameng
#262Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 4:46pm

Sutton Ross said: ""Lot of people areassuming that Lea Michelemistreated me. Let me state it clearly that I was never mistreated by her. And if some of the cast were treated badly then she has apologized for it which is wonderful. But being called a racist is too heavy & unfair a burden formost of us, specially in these troubled times. So, please be compassionate, careful & responsible before we accuse anyone of this horrible thing called racism." -Iqbal Theba

“Leais still one of my favorite co-stars that I have had the pleasure of working with. She is extremely hard working and super fun to be around. Her work ethic is so strong it forces you to always be on top of your game, and that’s something I looked forward to everyday on set. I definitely learned a lot. When jumping onto a hugely successful and established show likeGlee, I went into it expecting to be known as the ‘new guy’ for at least a month, but that wasn’t the case at all. I almost immediately felt welcomed, and to be totally honest, out of everyone, Lea was the most friendly to me. I can only speak for myself and my own experience, but from what I saw during my time on set, there was nothing but professionalism and a genuine sense of community amongst the cast and crew. No one showed any signs of discomfort while Leawas on set. If I’m basing my opinion off my season, there definitely shouldn’t be a reason for a backlash" - Dean Geyer

"

I argued once with Iqbal Theba over his support of Mark Salling even after his conviction so this doesn't surprise me at all.

Sutton Ross
#263Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 4:48pm

You aren't surprised that he said Lea isn't a racist due to his support of someone completely different. 

Cool. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#264Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 4:50pm

aimeecurameng said: "Sutton Ross said: ""Lot of people areassuming that Lea Michelemistreated me. Let me state it clearly that I was never mistreated by her. And if some of the cast were treated badly then she has apologized for it which is wonderful. But being called a racist is too heavy & unfair a burden formost of us, specially in these troubled times. So, please be compassionate, careful & responsible before we accuse anyone of this horrible thing called racism." -Iqbal Theba

“Leais still one of my favorite co-stars that I have had the pleasure of working with. She is extremely hard working and super fun to be around. Her work ethic is so strong it forces you to always be on top of your game, and that’s something I looked forward to everyday on set. I definitely learned a lot. When jumping onto a hugely successful and established show likeGlee, I went into it expecting to be known as the ‘new guy’ for at least a month, but that wasn’t the case at all. I almost immediately felt welcomed, and to be totally honest, out of everyone, Lea was the most friendly to me. I can only speak for myself and my own experience, but from what I saw during my time on set, there was nothing but professionalism and a genuine sense of community amongst the cast and crew. No one showed any signs of discomfort while Leawas on set. If I’m basing my opinion off my season, there definitely shouldn’t be a reason for a backlash" - Dean Geyer

"

I argued once withIqbal Theba over his support of Mark Salling even after his conviction so this doesn't surprise me at all.
"

And Lea being nice to a great-looking, straight, white, Australian actor doesn't surprise me either. 

aimeecurameng
#265Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 4:52pm

She's only decent to people who serve her purpose. Of course she's going to be nice to her scene partner. 

Sutton Ross
#266Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 4:55pm

She was barely in any scenes with Mr Theba, so nope. not her scene partner. She treats some people poorly, but she isn't racist.

And a person being "good looking" has zero to do with anything that anyone is talking about. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#267Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 5:04pm

I didn't just say "good looking," I said "great-looking, straight, white, Australian." If you don't think that combination would factor into how a clearly superficial young woman would treat someone, then I'd say you're mistaken. I'd be shocked if she didn't treat him well.

Updated On: 6/4/20 at 05:04 PM

Sutton Ross
#268Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 5:06pm

Weird, because many of her co stars who said she did not treat them well were also good looking. Her best friend is not straight or Australian so your argument doesn't really hold up. 

#269Lea Michele Twitter
Posted: 6/4/20 at 5:12pm

Hi All

While we always encourage discussion of things in the news as they relate to theatre, we think this particular topic has run its course and there's not much more anyone can add to the conversation without speculating on someone's beliefs, thoughts, and behaviors in a way that goes beyond what is permitted in our rules.

If there's additional news or statements on this topic, we will re-open the thread. If we miss anything feel free to get in touch to contact@broadwayworld.com.

Videos