Disney's 'Frozen'

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#275Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/1/13 at 9:13pm

BWL,

Nice.

Stick to complaining about people's upper thighs....

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

beautywickedlover
#276Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/1/13 at 9:49pm

But MusicalMaster gave a similar spoiler on page 10.

Updated On: 12/1/13 at 09:49 PM

BroadwayBenny Profile Photo
BroadwayBenny
#277Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/1/13 at 10:03pm

MusicalMaster also listed 5 films as their top 3 Disney films. I say we lynch the both of you!!!!

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#278Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/2/13 at 12:14am

^The reasoning behind my list was that the films were on either equal terms to share the numbered spot while I would list of which one was a better film on an objective level. Sorry for any sort of confusion and I wish there was a way to HIDE spoilers in a way that DVDizzy.com does or just not that at all.

So again, I apologize for any confusion on this board. Please don't lynch me... Disney's FROZEN

beautywickedlover
#279Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/2/13 at 11:24am

Congrats to film on its Annie Award nominations and Josh Gad for his nomination for Voice Acting in a Feature Film. I wish that Kristen Bell and other cast members received nominations.

http://m.deadline.com/2013/12/annie-award-nominations-unveiled/

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#280Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/2/13 at 11:42am

I got to see this last night and loved pretty much every minute of it. Idina Menzel sounded incredible, I haven't heard her sound that good since the beginning of her run in Wicked..."Let It Go" was a highlight of the film. I loved hearing all the other Broadway voices as well, it was really nice to hear an animated film that was that well-sung. There were audible gasps in my theater at the twist (including from me). The whole movie really zipped by...when it got to the end I couldn't believe we had been in the theater for that long.

I also wish Disney would branch out more often with their choice of composers; I thought Bobby Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez did a wonderful job with writing the music for the film, and it didn't sound like every other Disney film which was great.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#281Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/2/13 at 1:26pm

I'm surprised Gad got a nomination for this part and Menzel or Bell didn't for theirs. Don't get me wrong, Gad was hysterical...but I thought Idina's part carried more weight and she delivered more of a punch.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#282Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/2/13 at 2:00pm

Saw it yesterday and found the animation stunning.

I paid the extra money for the 3-D but only thought the 3-D worked well for the Mickey cartoon that preceded the film and for one scene in the movie.

Otherwise, I would say save your money and see it without the glasses, which mute all of the beautiful colors.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

beautywickedlover
#283Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/2/13 at 3:29pm

^ Did you see it before the spoiler was revealed? If you saw it afterwards, I'm sorry that it was revealed before you went to the theater.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#284Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/3/13 at 2:58am

So how long was the Winter....Like a day?

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#285Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/3/13 at 4:58am

Why do you think it was within a day? I understood it be quite a lengthy process.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#286Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/3/13 at 9:18am

I know it's a Disney film, but it did really bother me how weightless the "winter" was. Seemed like a minor inconvenience.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#287Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/4/13 at 1:21pm

I agree with Kad's post...while I really really enjoyed FROZEN I really really LOVED TANGLED much more...I guess having DONNA MURPHY in TANGELD made that whole movie experience for me more worthwhile...and I LOVED the Mickey Mouse short in 3-D before the main film...WOW!..Disney IS OUTDOING Pixar these days!...

BroadwayBenny
#288Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/4/13 at 2:20pm

I personally feel like people are getting carried away with the accolades. I enjoyed the movie a lot, and I LOVE the songs, but the script, and character animation do not equal the quality of Tangled, let alone Beauty and the Beast (Not the biggest Lion King fan, so I can't really complain about those comparisons). The only place it trumps Tangled is with it's songs.

I'd say musically, this is the best since Hunchback or maybe Mulan. Let it Go stands up there with the greatest, but, like Pocahontas, one AMAZING song/moment does not a perfect movie make.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#289Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/4/13 at 3:10pm

Should 'Frozen' be adapted for the stage, could 'Let It Go' be the Act 1 closer, or is the number too early/late in the story? (I haven't seen the show, but I've memorized the soundtrack)

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#290Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/4/13 at 3:10pm

Double post!
Updated On: 12/4/13 at 03:10 PM

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#291Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/4/13 at 3:24pm

I think "For the First Time(Reprise)" would be a great place to end the first act. It creates a conflict and its a cliff hanger.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-
Updated On: 12/4/13 at 03:24 PM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#292Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/5/13 at 12:28am

BroadwayBenny, I agree quite a lot that Let it Go is the very best scene in the entire movie, but I disagree that Tangled is better because Tangled's songs and some characters kind of stunk pretty badly especially Mother Gothel.

Frozen has beaten Tangled to death for me personally, but hey, not everyone would feel the same way.

BroadwayBenny
#293Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/5/13 at 6:34am

LOL, Mother Gothel is a million times more entertaining than Frozen's villain.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#294Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/5/13 at 9:48am

I think "For the First Time(Reprise)" would be a great place to end the first act. It creates a conflict and its a cliff hanger.

I was thinking instead: a "If I Can't Love Her"-type song for Elsa. That song fits Elsa really well and I think something like that would be great to describe Elsa's sadness that she can never be with her sister because how she can physically hurt her by accident. And then have Fixer Upper (am I the only one who loves that sing) as the Act 2 opener?

Updated On: 12/5/13 at 09:48 AM

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#295Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/5/13 at 10:23am

Saw FROZEN a few days ago and really loved it. I found it pretty much equal to TANGLED, though. Both have strengths over the other.

I find TANGLED's score charming, though not overly wonderful and feel that FROZEN's is much stronger. "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" isn't necessarily a brilliant song, but it's a brilliant storytelling device. It propels the story, which no song in TANGLED ever did. There are also more levels and colors to FROZEN's score than in TANGLED's. The music changes from catchy and peppy ("Love is an Open Door") to epic and sweeping ("Let It Go" and "For the First Time in Forever" reprise). And with the exception of a few on-the-nose literal phrases, the lyrics are often hilarious or touching.

That said, Mother Gothel is a fantastic villain, ranking with Ursula, Jafar and Hades in meanness and hilarity. FROZEN doesn't really go for a "villain" until the last 20 minutes or so and while it's a twist, it doesn't have the same catharsis when they're beaten as it does when Mother Gothel is. Not to mention, Donna Murphy brings her to amazing life in probably the best vocal performance in a Disney movie since Jeremy Irons in THE LION KING. Hell, maybe even Robin Williams in ALADDIN.

I would also say that the screenplay in TANGLED is cleaner and smarter with a more developed arch and well structured three act storyline. But FROZEN gets many points for originality in many of its scenes and framing of musical numbers. While TANGLED was smarter, I never felt that it was as inventive with its writing as FROZEN.But FROZEN gets a little muddled towards the middle from the giant snow monster all the way through "Fixer Upper." TANGLED was pure, clean storytelling from start to finish.

Also, with the exception of Donna Murphy as Mother Gothel, I personally found the voice acting in FROZEN to be much stronger. The singing was definitely stronger in FROZEN, with Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell sounding their absolute best. Again, TANGLED's singing was really reliant on Murphy, who delivered in spades, but the rest of the cast was hit or miss for me.
This is all a lengthy way of saying that I enjoyed both, though don't necessarily feel one is vastly better than the other.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 12/5/13 at 10:23 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#296Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/5/13 at 11:05am

I rewatched Tangled yesterday, and was surprised that I forgot how slapstick and Looney Toons it was (not to the extent of The Emperor's New Groove, but still a lot more than most Disney features).

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Nettik
#297Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/5/13 at 1:11pm

I personally felt that apart from one part of the film that actually sent the entire piece down like the Titanic, it was the best film Disney has ever released.

The opening sequence, "Frozen Heart," moved me to tears with how stunning it was. I saw it in 2-D and the way that the colors interacted with the ice was animated perfection.

I felt Idina sounded far too old in the role, vocally stunning as she was. Totally blown away by Kristen and Josh. Would have liked to have heard more of Jonathan's singing voice.

SPOILERS

(The part in question was when Anna got hit in the heart with the ice and was completely unharmed until it was plot-convenient for the curse to begun to take effect, even though in the opening when she was hit in the head with the ice it had an immediate and devastating effect. To have Anna not be affected until after "Fixer Upper," which was a great song but ultimately added nothing to the movie in my opinion, was some of the worst writing I've seen in any recent film.)

JohnyBroadway
#298Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/5/13 at 3:03pm

Frozen was clearly a Musical set to story, while Tangled was a Story set to Music. Both are Beautiful in their own ways. Disney hit jack pot with these two films. I wonder if with the success if there next Fairy tale Giants will transition into a Musical? I think Pasek and Paul should take a wack at an animated film.

#299Disney's FROZEN
Posted: 12/6/13 at 12:04am

I also just rewatched Tangled, plus I went to see Frozen again a few days ago. As much as I love Tangled, I definitely think I liked Frozen better.

Tangled's story development and character development are much stronger and Gothel is miles better than the rather "after-thought" feeling villain in Frozen, but as others have said, Frozen's music and animation are top notch with some of the best computer animation I think I've seen and one of the best Disney scores.

Videos