pixeltracker

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances - Page 12

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances

smidge
#275Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 8:49pm

David10225 said: "Frequent reader never poster here but we traveled up from DC to see the show this afternoon and I don't remember when I last laughed so hard.  Both my wife and I loved the show and it is easily in our all time top 3.  I so glad we chose this over Charlie.  Place was packed!  It made this old guy well up at the end.  You guys are so lucky to have all these wonderful choices of entertainment.

So glad you enjoyed it.  I saw Bette but I keep recommending to people to see this production with Donna for the lower price. I don't think they'll be sorry!

"

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#276Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 8:58pm

I'll add that I've now seen DHP in this three times and his performance is the most variable IMO. The first time I saw him in previews he was sort of disengaged and didn't make much of an attempt to sing. The second time I saw him (this past Tuesday) he was hilarious. And he was really singing out in "Penny in my Pocket." This afternoon he was sort of disengaged again. 

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#277Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 9:04pm

He seemed like he was having fun during "Penny in My Pocket" today, but the rest of the time he acted like he was counting the minutes till he could get offstage.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#278Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 9:10pm

I really think DHP is the weakest in the cast.  He just doesn't look right on stage and he always seems uninterested the whole show.  I'm not sure if it's a character choice or something, but it really doesn't work.  I wonder if they called the wrong guy from Fraiser to offer the part to.  Kelsey Grammer, who I'm generally not a huge fan of, would have been a much better choice for Horace.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#279Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 9:35pm

GeorgeandDot said: "I really think DHP is the weakest in the cast.  He just doesn't look right on stage and he always seems uninterested the whole show.  I'm not sure if it's a character choice or something, but it really doesn't work.  I wonder if they called the wrong guy from Fraiser to offer the part to.  Kelsey Grammer, who I'm generally not a huge fan of, would have been a much better choice for Horace.

"

I think Horace is sort of an awkwardly written character. After all his biggest appeal is that he has some hard cash available. But I also think it's the rest of the cast: Midler/Murphy, Creel, Trensch, Baldwin, Bernstein et al are all very warm, extroverted performers. DHP isn't that and won't ever be that. I could see him fitting in with a cast that was more introverted. For instance, it's not likely to happen but I think he could be a great Torvald for A Doll's House 2. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#280Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 11:02pm

PalJoey said: " 

As must this one, by Sally Struthers:

PJ...Seriously, Sally Struthers? OMG that was awful...what is she doing? BAD BAD BAD!

"

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

juice23 Profile Photo
juice23
#281Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 11:05pm

Wanted to chime in.

I saw Bette as Dolly twice... once in previews, and once shortly after opening. I returned today to see Donna (couldn't resist the discount from TodayTix with no fees).

The show remains an absolute delight. The ensemble is amazing, and it is hard to not smile for the entire 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Donna Murphy was absolutely amazing. She sang very well (as expected), but looked stunning in those costumes. Her comedy was also great... at times her comedy style reminded me of Andrea Martin (a compliment, in my opinion). While I love love loved Bette... I did not miss her today. The production thrives with a different leading lady. During intermission I was daydreaming of all the other amazing people they should/could bring in for short stints. I would certainly return for each new actress.

It was sad to see so many empty seats in the Mezz (for act one anyway), especially compared to the SRO crowds I experienced with Bette... but it seemed that everyone in the theatre fell in love with Donna's Dolly.

I do have to mention that multiple people in the line to go in were saying they had no idea Bette wouldn't be in... and when I asked them where they got their tickets- they said directly from Telecharge. I don't understand how anyone could possibly miss the disclaimers... but they did. 

My Music Classroom Giving Page: https://www.donorschoose.org/MrHMusicRoom

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#282Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/3/17 at 12:09am

David10225 said: "Frequent reader never poster here but we traveled up from DC to see the show this afternoon and I don't remember when I last laughed so hard.  Both my wife and I loved the show and it is easily in our all time top 3.  I so glad we chose this over Charlie.  Place was packed!  It made this old guy well up at the end.  You guys are so lucky to have all these wonderful choices of entertainment."

Are you kidding? D.C. Has some of the best theatre in the U S , so you also have a lot of wonderful choices of entertainment.

Out In The Sticks Profile Photo
Out In The Sticks
#283Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/3/17 at 6:12am

I saw this at the end of May with Bette and I was bowled over by everything, for a show from the sixties this felt fresh and exciting.  Each and every person on that stage earned every buck, as did all the creatives.  Looking back a little over a month now what do I remember, Bette, Bette, Bette, Gavins enthusiasm and energy, DHP's perfect journey from grumpy to desire and Jennifer Simard as Ernestina Money, why aren't people mentioning her more. I loved every choice she made, every thing she did.  she made me howl with laughter.  What a great night at the theatre.  I would love to see the show again and hope that it crosses the Atlantic to come to London. I am sure that Donna does an amazing job, every other casting choice was right so why wouldn't Donna be? Bette just added that extra wow-wow-wow fellas, seeing her meant that I had seen a legend live.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#284Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/3/17 at 11:31am

Out In The Sticks said: " What a great night at the theatre.  I would love to see the show again and hope that it crosses the Atlantic to come to London. I am sure that Donna does an amazing job, every other casting choice was right so why wouldn't Donna be? Bette just added that extra wow-wow-wow fellas, seeing her meant that I had seen a legend live.

"

And that is exactly why I am spending bib bucks to see her over and over again.  Bette has always been a presence for me in my life and for many others.  A star from the days that stars were really stars.  That is why she is worth every penny to many.  And that is why her run is basically sold out.    Dolly has always been a great show and a great showcase for its leading lady.  Looking forward to many more ladies taking their turn.  But Bette is a event.  One that sadly there probably won't be many more of left in my lifetime.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 7/3/17 at 11:31 AM

Dollypop
#285Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/3/17 at 1:33pm

I love reading comments by people who have fallen in love with HELLO, DOLLY! the way I did 53 years ago.

Let me tell you a little secret: when I'm in the city to see another show, I rush over to the Shubert to see if DOLLY has let out yet. If they havain't, I wait until it does so I can see the smiles and "the Dolly Glow" as the audience comes out. 

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#286Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/3/17 at 2:05pm

I went to buy tickets yesterday afternoon at the box office to see Ms. Murphy on Wednesday. While I am purchasing them (btw...the extremely cute box office guy is extremely kind and not pushy) I could hear Donna sing "Dolly Will Never Go Away Again" through the doors and the audience errupted. She sounded amazing! I got that heart skip a beat feeling in my chest! I couldn't stop smiling.

What made it better was after having dinner with my friend, we were walking though Shubert Alley and the barricades were set up outside the stage door with about 30 people quietly waiting and we saw Ms. Murphy signing every autograph and taking photos. I stopped to just admire her kindness, she stopped and took time to speak and listen to each person in line. She was smiling and interacting. Made me want to see and support her even more. She is a true CLASS ACT!

Just thought I would share. I can't wait to see her on Wednesday!

Updated On: 7/4/17 at 02:05 PM

TheThreadMaster Profile Photo
TheThreadMaster
#287Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/3/17 at 3:09pm

With all of these flourishing comments above, What more to expect from a 2 time tony winner! 

Dollypop
#288Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/3/17 at 5:39pm

How many Tony Awards has Kevin Kline won? How does he treat his fans?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#289Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/3/17 at 9:33pm

Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#290Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/3/17 at 10:09pm

I'm seeing the show Thursday and I couldn't be more excited!!!

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#291Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/3/17 at 10:17pm

Robbie2 said: "Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!

"

Gorgeous picture! Where'd you get it? Production photos are so hard to find for this show.

GeorgeandDot
#292Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/3/17 at 10:49pm

Gorgeous picture.  The colors in this production are blindingly beautiful.

So I'm seeing the production again next month with Donna and I've decided to see the show from the rear balcony this time.  I'll be sitting row H, seat 10.  I've never sat up there in the Shubert before and I have been told that there are some poles up there.  Do you think it will obstruct my view at all?

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#293Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/3/17 at 11:04pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Gorgeous picture.  The colors in this production are blindingly beautiful.

So I'm seeing the production again next month with Donna and I've decided to see the show from the rear balcony this time.  I'll be sitting row H, seat 10.  I've never sat up there in the Shubert before and I have been told that there are some poles up there.  Do you think it will obstruct my view at all?

No, the poles are further over, closer to the outer aisle. Here was my view from seat K 8 in the balcony.

http://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/72845/Shubert+Theatre/section-Balcony+Right/row-K/seat-8/

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#294Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/4/17 at 12:12am

CT2NYC: I have never seen this website or app. THANK YOU for sharing it. It is amazing! I must be out of the loop, but am so happy you shared. Thanks again!

http://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/72845/Shubert+Theatre/section-Balcony+Right/row-K/seat-8/

"

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#295Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/4/17 at 12:24am

HunterK said: "
CT2NYC: I have never seen this website or app. THANK YOU for sharing it. It is amazing! I must be out of the loop, but am so happy you shared. Thanks again!

You're quite welcome, and I'm glad you like it! I use it all the time, and I try to post a pic whenever I go to a show. 

GeorgeandDot
#296Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/4/17 at 12:38am

Thank you so much!

10086Sundays
#297Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/4/17 at 12:41am

Quick off-topic note, but since people do travel to NYC:  For airplane seat reviews there's Seatguru.

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#298Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/4/17 at 12:54am

10086Sundays said: "Quick off-topic note, but since people do travel to NYC:  For airplane seat reviews there's Seatguru.

I am a Flight Attendant with Delta, this is an AWESOME app as well. Thanks 10086 for mentioning it. People will get such good use out of it!

Johntlew2 Profile Photo
Johntlew2
#299Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/4/17 at 7:03am

I bought the souvenir program...very expensive. Disappointed in quality of pics.

Videos