pixeltracker

Catch me if you Can Preview Thread- Page 13

Catch me if you Can Preview Thread

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#300Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/1/11 at 10:20pm

Jay and Brandon have NOT gone on yet. Would love to hear Jay in the role.

luvb'way
#301Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/3/11 at 1:01am

i know i'm new on here and am probably gonna get reamed, but....
kerry butler vs autumn hurlbert...

WHY isn't SHE playing brenda in this show??? watch THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQYAnE90x7U

she can SANG. and she is a fabulous actress. that reality show was a blip in her career. i really think she is a STAR.

BTW, i think this is some benefit and it was years ago. she's even better now. and... she's beautiful.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#302Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/3/11 at 1:22am

Autum has to be a good 10-15 years younger too, which I think is more appropriate.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#303Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/3/11 at 1:29pm

steven22----I agree! I want to see how Jay plays the role of Frank Abagnale vs. Aaron's performance.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#304Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/3/11 at 3:25pm

Spider-Man has its fans, so did Good Vibrations, 9 to 5, Lestat, Bombay Dreams, and a whole slew of other bad to mediocre shows

And what makes their reactions less valid than yours, West Village?

And what makes your opinion more valid?

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#305Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/4/11 at 12:14pm

I must say that I have been very surprised about the negativity about this show. Count me as someone who LOVES it! As I stated on another thread, we saw 6 shows during our last New York visit (Priscilla, Championship Season, Book of Mormon, Spidey, How to Succeed, and Catch Me). Of the six, Catch Me was my favorite.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#306Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/4/11 at 12:20pm

I don't think having Butler read a little older than Tveit is a problem at all, especially considering the big age reveal at the end of the play.

I had no problems accepting them as a couple.

Dennis-in-ct Profile Photo
Dennis-in-ct
#307Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/4/11 at 10:02pm

We loved the show so much we plan on going back -only this time from the orch. We didn't see what happened in the aisle.

What a pleasure to hear the lead sing those two powerful songs that made us flashback to Next To Normal (NYC) this past Dec. It could be trimmed a bit but a good solid fun well done show. loved the style and it was fun.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#308Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/4/11 at 10:59pm

Dennis-in-ct ----What seat were you in? You said aisle but aisle of orch or mezzanine and if so which row?

Dennis-in-ct Profile Photo
Dennis-in-ct
#309Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/4/11 at 11:06pm

We sat rear mezz and there were actors performing in the aisles in the orch that we missed.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#310Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/4/11 at 11:07pm

I think that the show took awhile to really get going, but it was very good once it did. I liked act two better because there was more of an emotional connection developed and I found myself more invested in the story. Although Act One had more production numbers, which were all very good (I liked the choreography and that chorus worked) it wasn't as interesting. There was the laying of the backstory that was not as engaging for me. Still I really enjoyed it.

I liked the sets and the lighting; it served the concept (which I found effective) and looked very classy.

All of the actors are doing great work. Bulter's role was not as small as it was made out to be, she was in a good amount of act two. Her performance was great. Tom Wopat's last scene was amazing, he was very good. Norbert was a real standout. He had a great character and stage presence. Aaron Tveit carries the show masterfully, he was so full of charm and did amazing. His voice is like butter. Like I said before the ensemble was great and had a lot of energy.
The music was good. There were a few stand-outs but it was overall very enjoyable. For me, "Fly Fly Away" and "Goodbye" were worth the price of admission (the songs and more importantly the performances by Kerry and Aaron were absolutely fantastic). I mean like DAMN.
I would see it again.
Updated On: 4/4/11 at 11:07 PM

broadwayboy101
#311Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/4/11 at 11:42pm

BwayTday, did you see the show tonight?

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#312Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/5/11 at 12:01am

No, I saw it a few nights ago. Is there a monday night show? Updated On: 4/5/11 at 12:01 AM

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#313Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/5/11 at 8:29am

It's my understanding that the show has been changing nightly with tweaks/fixes/changes, etc... Not sure when/if it's frozen now.. but there's a reason why there are disparate reports aside from normal differences in opinions

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Christoph
#314Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/5/11 at 12:31pm

I saw the Saturday matinee and was pleasantly surprised. I could not really see how the film could be musicalized, but the end product is quite slick, energetic and polished. All of the choices and derivations from the film were improvements and a friend that saw the production in Seattle says that all of the changes made dramatically improve the show. I find it incomprehensible that anyone comments on being bored as I found the show filled with energy and pizzazz. After seeing a number of new Broadway shows with no memorable songs (The Addams Family jumps immediately to mind), it was great to find that several days later I could still vividly recall Life in Living Color, Fly Fly Away and Goodbye. I think the show moves quite nicely, although 5-10 minutes could be trimmed from Act II, although I cannot quite pinpoint exactly where (maybe the Mom's number?). The cast all around is great. I thought Kerry nailed Fly Fly Away, but people are correct that it is a slight role (but no slighter than was Amy Adams's role in the film). My only other complaint is that after a rousing Act I number, Norbert Leo Butz really does not have another GREAT number. I found Tom Wopat very touching as the dad, who comes off in this show as a lovable loser rather than the uber-weirdo that Chris Walken played him as in the film. This show is definitely Aaron Tveit's though. The role fits him like a glove - he sings it and dances it beautifully. It was puzzling to see him excluded from Tony noms when Next to Normal was riding high - if he is excluded this time around than the Tony voters need their heads examined. Unlike the Book of Mormon, whose profanity laden song book would make me hesitate to recommend to a number of people, I would recommend this show to anyone coming in to NYC without reservations.

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#315Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/5/11 at 5:22pm

It's odd that there are now so many positive reviews - back when the show began previews, I felt like I was in the minority. Either something has changed within the show, or the actors have gotten more comfortable as a unit, but I'm happy either way. I really do like Catch Me, and I want it to succeed.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#316Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/5/11 at 7:11pm

Craig --- I thought someone previously posted on here that changes were frozen last Thursday? Not sure though....

EdenIsMyHero Profile Photo
EdenIsMyHero
#317Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/6/11 at 10:48am

Any word on how rush has been?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#318Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/6/11 at 11:07am

It's theater. Of course there will be a wide variety of opinions. I stood in line the other day with someone talking about how "Amazing" he thought "Good Vibrations" was and didn't understand why it got bad reviews. To each their own. That's why Hamlet and Mamma Mia can run on Broadway at the same time. Gotta love it!

I didn't care for it, but that's primarily because I don't care for that presentational style of theater where the characters know what's going on. I didn't care for it in Ragtime, and I didn't care for it here, so oh well. Just not my cup of tea.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#319Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 8:32am

Just saw it last night. This is the best new musical in years. My favorite new score in years. The best musical-comedy in years. The best dance-musical in years. And the direction, choreography, design and performances are thrilling.

It doesn't get better than this.

And Norbert's "Don't Break the Rules" is musical-theater legend happening in front of you.

massofmen
#320Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 8:55am

best new comedy in YEARS?!?!? ha ha ha.

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#321Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 9:11am

as much as i love Silent Butler, i would return to see Autumn's season in that role. And Yr Pal if that's hyperbole well done; if you're a shill wise up; and if you're sincere, will u share the meds.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#322Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 10:26am

I am sincere, and my medication is Musical Comedy.

I've been taking it since my parents brought me to see Van Johnson in The Music Man.

I haven't enjoyed a new musical this much in years. Maybe decades.

sundaymorning6am
#323Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 10:43am

I got the left box for rush today. How obstructed and/or bad is that seat? Thanks! :)

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#324Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 11:09am

Yr Pal, next time whilst in NYC i want to take you two places my treat:

Joe Allen's at the bar for cocktails and upstairs for dinner at the restaurant with no sign;

and to the current Disney Theatricals offices in what was once the Rooftop Garden Nightclub (or whatever it was called) above 42nd Street.

HEAVEN. And we can share memories of your meds.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

Videos