pixeltracker

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread- Page 13

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#300Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/24/23 at 4:29pm

Lots of walk-and-talks with Arthur, I expect. (Sorry, that joke's probably already been made a thousand times.)

Dan6
#301Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/24/23 at 4:41pm

Well, this just became my most anticipated show of the spring. 

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#302Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/24/23 at 4:54pm

Musical Master said: "They both sound truly divine! Looks like this could be another Lincoln Center production worthy of its line-up of great LCT musical Golden Age revivals. I am curious about how different Aaron Sorkin's new book will be in comparison to the original."

Agree. Donica and Soo both are perfect for their roles- they both have the near-operatic voices (and vocal training) that are necessary for this show.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

BCfitasafiddle
#303Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/24/23 at 7:14pm

Oh my gosh. Jordan Donica is SUPERB. Unsurprising, but oh so thrilling. 

Phillipa Too sounds fabulous and has such infectious joyful energy. 

I can't wait for a sneak peek at Andrew Durnap.

This just got higher on my list of excitement!!!

BCfitasafiddle
#304Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/24/23 at 8:09pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VQHsmpmOgU

Andrew is adorable and charming and sounds lovely!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#305Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/24/23 at 8:20pm

Some scenic design sketches in another video I came across:

Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for BroadwaySorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway

Updated On: 2/25/23 at 08:20 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#306Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/24/23 at 8:27pm

Looks like the King and I approach with minimal but expansive. 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#307Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/24/23 at 8:33pm

Are they really doing King Arthur with an American accent? Whaaaaa?

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#308Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/24/23 at 8:57pm

Looking at the sketches, it seems to look like Michael Yeargan is going back to his The King and I minimal but big approach. His My Fair Lady was well designed and huge (except for the Ascot Racecourse which was very minimal) so I can see why they're going for a scaled back approach though the costumes look lovely from the sketches.

As for Andrew's accent (his "Camelot" was cute and you can somewhat hear some new lines between him and Guinevere), it's a rehearsal and possibly he's going to work on it once previews begin.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#309Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/24/23 at 10:34pm

Musical Master said: "I am curious about how different Aaron Sorkin's new book will be in comparison to the original."

It would be so ironic if the very first Tony nomination Sorkin ever receives is in the category of Best Book of a Musical for this.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#310Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/25/23 at 9:45am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "It would be so ironic if the very first Tony nomination Sorkin ever receives is in the category of Best Book of a Musical for this."

That's even funnier to me than Katori Hall's only Tony noms being for Book of a Musical and co-producing TINA, and Richard Nelson's sole Tony being for Book of a Musical.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#311Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/25/23 at 9:51am

Based on the blurry renderings, I'm also getting the same vibes I got from both The King and I and Fiddler on the Roof revivals - minimal and austere. I found both of those designs to be highly effective (and I'm usually someone who prefers big splashy sets). Hoping it works for Camelot as well!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#312Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/25/23 at 11:16am

The preview clips sound wonderful.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#313Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/25/23 at 11:39am

Clearer images of the scenic design:

Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#314Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/25/23 at 11:53am

ACL2006 said: "The preview clips sound wonderful.

"

Whew. I need a cold shower after listening to that clip of Donica singing...

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#315Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/25/23 at 12:05pm

I could totally be misinterpreting early renderings, but it looks like there's a stage deck –– white and more ragged, representing the forest, a little larger than the other deck –– that perhaps pulls back to reveal the straight, wooden deck for the castle.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#316Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/25/23 at 2:07pm

That would be an interesting use of the thrust stage if that's the case. But it won't top the large ship coming towards the audience from The King and I back in 2015, that was theatrical magic.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#317Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/25/23 at 2:28pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I could totally be misinterpreting early renderings, but it looks like there's a stage deck –– white and more ragged, representing the forest, a little larger than the other deck –– that perhaps pulls back to reveal the straight, wooden deck for the castle."

OH - good eye! Sher and Yeargan have made great use of the sliding decks with South Pacific and The King and I. They didn't use it for My Fair Lady, but it would be great if they're going to use it again!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Dolly80
#318Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/25/23 at 5:50pm

What’s with the American accents when they sing? I hope that doesn’t happen in the theatre.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#319Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/25/23 at 10:02pm

Donica sounds...fine. You could throw a rock down 8th Ave and hit 100x singers who would sing it just like that. He's just not exciting. And the design seems King and I minimal. Eh.  Curious to hear thoughts, but didn't love the Sorkin Mockingbird.  

barcelona20
#320Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/25/23 at 10:24pm

RippedMan said: "Donica sounds...fine. You could throw a rock down 8th Ave and hit 100x singers who would sing it just like that. He's just not exciting. And the design seems King and I minimal. Eh. Curious to hear thoughts, but didn't love the Sorkin Mockingbird."

While watching the video, I kept picturing Joshua Henry and wondering how he would have been.

bwayobsessed
#321Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/25/23 at 10:31pm

I think everyone sounds lovely (especially If Ever I would leave you) that said I feel like overall they seem like boring interpretations-nothing to new or revealing. I love the song Lusty Month of May but I want a sexy version. I get that this is rehearsal room but it didn’t feel like there was much acting-just singing. I think the character of Guinevere is so interesting but it doesn’t seem like they’re taking a particularly interesting direction from the clips.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#322Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/26/23 at 1:06am

Dolly80 said: "What’s with the American accents when they sing? I hope that doesn’t happen in the theatre."

I don’t know what the plan is for the production, but the audition notice said to use your own accent. It could be a choice of director/writer to try to thread the similarities to America today.

B212323
#323Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/26/23 at 1:12am

well now I won't be able to get Joshua Henry as Lancelot out of my mind. I find Jordan a snore onstage (lovely voice but not much else going on). 

bear88
#324Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 2/26/23 at 4:34am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Dolly80 said: "What’s with the American accents when they sing? I hope that doesn’t happen in the theatre."

I don’t know what the plan is for the production, but the audition notice said to use your own accent. It could be a choice of director/writer to try to thread the similarities to America today.
"

Given the bookwriting involvement of Aaron Sorkin, and the promotional blurbs talking about "the quest to establish democracy and justice over chaos," I assume there will be plenty of attempts to draw analogies to the United States today. I wouldn't assume there will be British accents. But I guess we'll see.

Sorkin usually isn't my cup of tea, although there's no doubt he's been very successful. 

Videos