pixeltracker

"Bullets Over Broadway" Previews- Page 14

"Bullets Over Broadway" Previews

neonlightsxo
#325Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/8/14 at 1:50pm

Are the TDF tickets that are labelled balcony only actually in the balcony?? Or does someone think I'd be able to show up and get a rush ticket later in the day (ie not at 10am)?

CWash
#326Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/8/14 at 1:56pm

Congrats. I hope you enjoy. !!!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#327Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/8/14 at 11:02pm

Just got home from the show. If this isn't a huge hit, I don't know what is. The show is GREAT. I can't find fault with anything about it. The entire cast was outstanding, not a weak actor in the bunch. The sets, the costumes, the music, the LAUGHS! I had a ball. That's all.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#328Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/8/14 at 11:23pm

Glad you liked it

We enjoyed it as well. Interesting how the esteemed critics will feel about it.

Poster Emeritus

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#329Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 12:32am

Agreed with you, Jane2! LOVED this when I saw it this past weekend.

Hank
#330Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 2:38am

I just got back home too, and enjoyed it very much, especially the tapping gangsters, and the red caps in act two, a terrific ensemble all around. Costumes, sets, and choreography were all top notch.
They were still listed at tkts when I looked before the show, but when I got there the orchestra was full. I could not see upstairs but I'm guessing they were pretty full as well.
My only qualm, the lines for the rest rooms, especially the men's, was just about the worst I have ever seen at intermission. Also my long time dislike of the St James for its tightly packed seats and tiny lobby area.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#331Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 8:34am

Oh yeah, the tapping gangsters number brought the house down! I'm so glad the show was seamless last night because it was a press night.

It's rare for there to be empty seats on press nights. Houses are papered if they have to be.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#332Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 10:38am

In Sugar, there was a tap dancing gangster (Steve Condos) . Not sure if it was a chorus number or a solo tap but a tap dancing gangster is not new .

Did enjoy the number here.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 4/9/14 at 10:38 AM

eglassman11
#333Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 10:51am

I would describe this show in one word: fantastic! I saw it on Monday night with a packed house. I was in the mezzanine section. To say that the audience laughed loudly would not even come close to the feeling of experiencing a Great Musical. Even some of the audience knew a few songs and hummed along with the cast: for example, I have no bananas. It would be completely remiss if I did not note the hot dog number that was totally Woody Allen style in its double entendre way.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#334Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 10:56am

I wonder if that number was Woody's idea or Stroman's.

Poster Emeritus

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#335Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 11:05am

The song was originally done by Butterbeans and Susie in the '20's. " One of their more popular comic songs was Susie's saucy "I Want a Hot Dog for My Roll", full of racy double entendres." (Wikipedia)

The song was considered so racy then that their record label, Okeh refused to release.

I am seeing the show in three hours and I'm looking forward to it.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#336Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 11:23am

What's the run time been on this lately? Still 2:45?

leefowler
#337Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 11:25am

Glen Kelly found the hot dog song.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.
Updated On: 4/9/14 at 11:25 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#338Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 11:28am

"Even some of the audience knew a few songs and hummed along with the cast..."

Doesn't that sound new, special, classy, and fun?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#339Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 11:35am

To bad Woody's appreciation of musical style is limited to old songs and nothing after the 1940's.

Poster Emeritus

brdway411
#340Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 11:38am

Seeing tonight for my second time. Curious to see what, if any changes they have made. Gotta love rush tickets.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#341Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 11:44am

"To bad Woody's appreciation of musical style is limited to old songs and nothing after the 1940's."

How is that an issue for a show set in 1928?

It is intentional (“I don’t like a contemporary music sound,” Allen said in an interview with Time. “It’s not my taste. My ear doesn’t appreciate it.”), but I fail to see how that has any bearing on this show.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#342Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 11:59am

The running time has been cut down to a consistent 2:25.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

brdway411
#343Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 12:15pm

Good, I saw it early in the run and it seemed a little long (it was close to 2 hours 45 or at least it felt like it, LOL).

Updated On: 4/9/14 at 12:15 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#344Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 12:34pm

Wow! They have really trimmed this down! The first preview was almost three hours.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#345Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 12:35pm

D'oh! I asked the running time, so I could possibly pop over and get some If/Then BC/EFA signed poster action afterwards, but just remembered they start at 7 today, whereas Bullets is at 8, so no chance of that happening, heh.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#346Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 1:58pm

And how about that totally adorable dog! I thought he would get a curtain call but no.

wskrs4
#347Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 2:27pm

Saw the show last night - wasn't a huge fan. I thought it was "okay" but I thought they really lost all steam they'd started to build up shortly after the start of Act 2. I thought everyone gave good performances - Zack Braff was very "Woody Allen-esq" and all leading ladies were great, but I don't really have any memorable moments to speak about except perhaps the hot dog song, which was amazing.

The set was big... nice enough, I guess. The musical selections seemed good except the bizarre finale, and the dancing was pretty good (very Susan Stroman). I was a little bit bored by the time the show ended, and maybe it was because I was in the second row of the balcony. If they're going to sell seats there, they need to make sure to stage the production farther upstage. They were so far downstage (with room to spare upstage) that I couldn't see a lot of what they were doing without trying to lean forward (while trying to not block the people behind me... not an easy task). I saw about 3 couples leave during the show.

I wouldn't say this is a horrible show - sort of a "Nice Work" part 2 kind of thing, but I think there are definitely better shows out there for your money. BUT, I liked If/Then and didn't like Aladdin, so what do I know!?

Updated On: 4/9/14 at 02:27 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#348Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 2:30pm

"If they're going to sell seats there, they need to make sure to stage the production farther upstage. They were so far downstage (with room to spare upstage) that I couldn't see a lot of what they were doing without trying to lean forward (while trying to not block the people behind me... not an easy task)"

That is going to be a problem with *any* show in *any* theatre with a balcony. I don't think that is specific to Bullets.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#349Bullets Over Broadway TDF
Posted: 4/9/14 at 2:32pm

"BUT, I liked If/Then and didn't like Aladdin, so what do I know!? "

What you like?

Videos