pixeltracker

Company Commentary Thread- Page 14

Company Commentary Thread

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#325re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/22/08 at 1:31am

No problem. I'm stuck in bed with a fever so I've had nothing better to do than just sit around on BWW all day. And this is something I like talking about. I enjoyed it just a little. re: Company Commentary Thread

You mean the diamond-shaped playing space, right? I still don't get what you mean, though. Do you mean the significance of the shape, or the use of the tip, or... ? I'm so confused.

So the middle are random moments with his friends prior to his 35th birthday party? Please say yes because that would make a lot more sense.

Yes. All of the vignettes are his memories, or at least in his head. So, previous birthdays, imagined birthdays, particular visits to his friends', what have you. In the interview that aired with the broadcast last night, Sondheim talked about how the show actually takes place in a very short period of time -- an hour, five minutes, perhaps even a mere thirty seconds. Think of it this way: he comes home from work, he thinks, he freaks out, he leaves. You're just seeing everything he's thinking back on.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

luvtheEmcee
#326re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/22/08 at 2:10am

Sorry for the consecutive posts. I wasn't paying attention.

You could look at it that way. You could also seem them as another hundred people getting off of the train. People he sees and just knows without ever actually talking to.

Yup, same concept.

As for the actor/musicians, I meant that the entire thing was innovative..but I was wondering if there was a point to it. Symbolism and interpretation can escape me.

Um. Are you familiar with the history of John Doyle working with actor-musicians at all? If you're not, he's done it with a number of shows over in the U.K., but obviously became known for it here because of Sweeney. When he was doing Sweeney, the "concept" was employed out of financial necessity. The production couldn't afford to hire an orchestra. Obviously he made it work very, very well as an artistic endeavor as well, but the concept as we know it in the States was born of economic necessity. I believe it went that Doyle was asked to do a show with actor-musicians before Sweeney even came to Broadway -- someone had seen it in England and loved it, so they wanted him to do something here. So in Company's case, it was not a matter of financial constraint. But, you can read into it a lot of ways. There are musical moments that often seem very in-tune with the particular characters; the instruments, in the hands of very talented musicians, often act as extensions of their very personalities. And in Company, of course, there's the really overt metaphor of "the company." They all quite literally form a full company in and of themselves -- actors and musicians. And by not playing an instrument, Bobby doesn't fit into that. Those instruments are symbolic of something way greater -- literally metaphorical of what Bobby cannot do. And so it's perfect that he doesn't play anything other than a kazoo until Being Alive -- until he has that breakthrough.

Wow. Haven't done that in a long time. *brain stretch* It felt good.

Updated On: 2/22/08 at 02:10 AM

goldenstate5
#327re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/22/08 at 4:57am

I finally sat down and watched it tonight. Well, more or less kept trying, since the echoing of the sound reverberated through my house and kept waking my parents up, who kept yelling at me...

...but, in the end, was playing the volume game worth it? Um...YES!!

I own the libretto and all the (US) cast recordings for Company, but I've never seen it actually performed before and...wow! That was truly amazing. It's so funny, while so charming, meanwhile so intelligent yet not entirely snobbish at all. And those Sondheim songs! Man, when they're being performed there's a whole new dimension given to them that makes them spark onstage. I mean, until now I have never seen what the big deal was with "Another Hundred People" and "Ladies Who Lunch"...until tonight. All the symbolism in the staging was so well crafted, all that was missing was "Tick Tock". But, it's 2 AM and well past my (intended) bedtime, so I'll just conclude now: Loved it. Already pre-ordered it.

BTW- Did they actually do a Company reprise at the end of Act II in the original 1970 production? Seems like it would ruin the integrity of the ending...

nitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
#328re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/22/08 at 5:43am

I loved it!

Except for the bleeping. I only caught it twice. What was the second? (If "Christ" was the first.)

It was wonderful, beautiful, smart, funny, charming, witty, brilliant, sad, happy... everything.

I also liked the interview with Sondheim. That was a treat.

My favorite song has always been "The Ladies Who Lunch".

"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#329re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/22/08 at 11:10am

The local station also bleeped April's "I'm a living thing too, you sh**head."
Updated On: 2/22/08 at 11:10 AM

#330re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:25pm

we didnt have any bleeps here in nyc.

i felt so sophistimacated.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#331re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/22/08 at 1:41pm

BTW- Did they actually do a Company reprise at the end of Act II in the original 1970 production? Seems like it would ruin the integrity of the ending...

Yes, there was no "Marry Me a Little" so after the book scene with Paul & Amy, the scene returned to the birthday party with Robert about to blow out the candles as the company sang a reprise of "Company."

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#332re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/22/08 at 1:47pm

So I've now viewed the show several times and here are some of my thoughts
HATED THE BLEEPING- It was so distracting at times, in Cincinnati it was close to 4 or 5 things bleeped out
Love the whole look and feel of this revival
I did feel that some of the numbers lacked the energy the original had esp. the opening number.
Raul interpretation of Bobby is one for the record books..he was absolutely amazing
Overall I loved and was very moved by this show....

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

trinaaron Profile Photo
trinaaron
#333re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/22/08 at 2:18pm

I just finished watching this again and felt the need to share some of my thoughts.

Heather Laws is my new hero. The whole wedding scene is great...It's hilarious, but a few lines are just heartbreaking. I also thought Raul Esparza was at his comedic best in this scene.

My absolute favorite moment is during Marry Me A Little. Raul walks to the end of the stage (at first I thought it would be a cliche huge loud belt), closes his eyes, and just sings quietly(for a few lines at least). It is probably something that would be easily missed live, but here I loved it. This whole song is my favorite that Bobby sings.

I can't decide if I liked Marta. Actually, I liked everything except when she sang high during Another Hundred People. I thought she got unpleasantly shrill.

I did not need the camera shots where it looked like we were about to go down Raul's throat. Yikes

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#334re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/22/08 at 4:25pm

^ My friend made a very similar observation on "Marry Me A Little", actually. Which is why I love the song... because Raul doesn't belt (at least not when you expect it). The ending is always my favorite part... how he glides into "I'm ready". It's gorgeous.

And when he sings "Wait" in "Someone Is Waiting". It's almost heart-breaking...

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

Eos Profile Photo
Eos
#335re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/22/08 at 4:44pm

I'd never seen COMPANY before so I had nothing to compare it to, and I loved it! Those massive "Bobby" chords at the beginning of both acts gave me chills. Love those big fat chords!

It was interesting listening to the short little interview with "the man" after the show - funny that people didn't like the fact that the story ended on a note of ambivalence. I think happy endings all the time are exceedingly boring. Sondheim really was quite ahead of his time.

I immediately ordered the OBC and can't wait till it arrives!

The Overture is part of the show, people. Please shut your pie hole.
Updated On: 2/23/08 at 04:44 PM

BroadwayBenny Profile Photo
BroadwayBenny
#336re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/23/08 at 11:31am

I did not need the camera shots where it looked like we were about to go down Raul's throat. Yikes

mmmmmmm speak for yours...uh, I mean... no comment

misschung
#337re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/23/08 at 11:43am

^ heh

how he glides into "I'm ready".

I love that, too. There's just that little lack of resolution in that last note, and we think he's going to stay at the tip of the diamond, but he backs away and kind of goes back to that safe, comfortable space. It's wonderful.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

luvtheEmcee
#338re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/23/08 at 12:38pm

I remember when that was added. It became a more deliberate stop, where he'd rush toward the light, and then stumble at the edge to stop himself just before stepping into it. Love.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#339re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/23/08 at 3:36pm

I remember that too, Emcee. He didn't do it the first time I saw it and then I came back and he did it. I asked him about it after the show and he seemed really happy that someone actually noticed. re: Company Commentary Thread

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 2/24/08 at 5:16am

Updated On: 5/7/09 at 05:16 AM

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#341re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/24/08 at 10:51am

Thinking about it, the one big thing I was slightly disappointed about regarding the actual filming part was that there wasn't a shot of the final lighting effect, which was so beautiful from the mezzanine. I understand choosing to do a closeup on Raul in that moment, but the flickering spotlight is something I would love to have seen again.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#342re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/24/08 at 11:59am

Oh, and for 2 performances this past June 2007 -- this was taking place at the Barrymore Theatre:

re: Company Commentary Thread

PHOTOS courtesy of: luvtheEmcee

Updated On: 2/24/08 at 11:59 AM

Perfectly Marvelous
#343re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/24/08 at 12:09pm

I love that, too. There's just that little lack of resolution in that last note, and we think he's going to stay at the tip of the diamond, but he backs away and kind of goes back to that safe, comfortable space. It's wonderful.

It truly is; I told my best friend "if I ever get married, I'm having this song played at my wedding." And she asked, "What do you mean if?"

But it's true, I would have "Marry Me A Little" at my wedding.

It's my favorite song (close to "Being Alive" which makes me cry every time I hear it.) And I think why I love these songs so much is how Raul performs them... like when he sings "Oh how gently we'll talk...." it's like a lullaby, soft and sweet.

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

luvtheEmcee
#344re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/24/08 at 12:21pm

Heh, I took those pictures. re: Company Commentary Thread (Except the last one.)

LePetiteFromage, I'm really glad you liked it. And sweetestsiren, I agree. I would have loved to see the full image of Bobby in the light for that last moment.

I was never a crier until I met Company. I had cried at the theater occasionally -- like, I cried at the closing shows of both Aida and Sweeney, and the last time I saw Cabaret, but it was because they were going away. Maybe another time here or there. But it was Raul's Being Alive that really broke me. Sometimes I'm still not sure if I cried for Bobby or with him, but even... what is it now, 8 months? later, that visceral punch is something I can still feel. And that has never happened to me before. Not with any of the great theater I've been lucky enough to see.

Updated On: 2/24/08 at 12:21 PM

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#345re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/24/08 at 1:14pm

No because there was no "Marry me a Litle" there. That song was originally intended to go where "Being Alive" now is but was discarded early on in the writing/reherasl process. The 1985 Roundabout production came up with the idea of putting it at the end of Act One, and it seemed to work. (By then Sondheim fans knew and loved the song from SIDE BY SIDE BY SONDHEIM.)

The original scene ended with Amy's running off to get married, The "Bobby Baby" refrain began as the birthday party sequence began again...a much shorter version this time. April enters with the cake and Robert just stares at here. Blackout.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

trinaaron Profile Photo
trinaaron
#346re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/24/08 at 1:32pm

mmmmmmm speak for yours...uh, I mean... no comment

Hee. After I typed that I thought it might sound bad, but left it any way. It made me giggle.

"But it's true, I would have "Marry Me A Little" at my wedding."

Are you sure? It's your wedding, but I'm not sure that a song about wanting to only commit halfway is the best way to start a marriage.

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#347re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/24/08 at 4:09pm

There is a guy I work with that said he liked Broadway shows so I reminded him of Company on PBS for Wednesday night. On Thursday he told me he watched it for 20 minutes and turned it off. I told him that it was by Stephen Sondheim and he said now "Stephen Sondheim's "Phantom of the Opera" was great but I just didn't like Company."

It was a lost cause so I didn't try to explain. re: Company Commentary Thread

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#348re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/24/08 at 6:41pm

Your friend is not a Broadway fan. Just an ALW fan.

You're right. It's a lost cause.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Perfectly Marvelous
#349re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/25/08 at 7:52am

Are you sure? It's your wedding, but I'm not sure that a song about wanting to only commit halfway is the best way to start a marriage.

Like I said, if I ever get married. It's probable that I never will because in a way I fear commitment (surprise, surprise!)

What I basically meant is that "Marry Me A Little" is a beautiful song in general, and there are parts of it that would work well at a wedding (particularly You can be my best friend, I can be your right arm...). It'd be better than using "Getting Married Today", right? re: Company Commentary Thread

Updated On: 2/25/08 at 07:52 AM

Videos