#3525Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 1:59pm

@Showface

My favorite numbers are:
.Into The Woods
.I Know Things Now
.Agony
.Last Midnight

I thought what they did with Rapunzel worked, for being a Disney film. I wish she died, like in the musical, but I see why they didn't kill her.

The finale was really heartwarming!

I feel like adults and older children will enjoy this film, but I don't know about younger children. I feel like they will think it's boring and that it's too long. I'm really hoping this movie does well!!

Updated On: 11/29/14 at 01:59 PM

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#3526Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 2:07pm

Meryl will have to pry that Best Supporting Actress Oscar out of Patricia Arquette's cold, dead hands.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3527Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 2:10pm

^ Man, I hope she's remembered when nominations come out. I just fear it was released too long ago and the momentum behind it is completely gone and forgotten.

Showface
#3528Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 2:12pm

^Arquette is getting raves, and she seems like the frontrunner to win right now, but Streep is not far behind it seems.

Pluses for Streep:

-It is a showy MUSICAL role in SUPPORTING -- that seems to always end well (Zeta-Jones, Hudson)

-She has a big transformation in the film

-She's singing like she never has before

-She's singing a Sondheim score

-Her performance seems more big and showy compared to Arquette's apparently beautifully subtle performance

MINUSES:
- She won two years ago (I hate that, that is now a minus)

-She's playing an unnamed Witch in a Disney film

-Arquette apparently slayed...(even though Meryl apparently did also)

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#3529Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 2:41pm

"Which musical film is your personal worst?"

Gee, so many to choose from--

DOCTOR DOLITTLE
LOST HORIZON
MAN OF LA MANCHA
MAME
A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
A CHORUS LINE
NINE

Of these I'd say MAME and LOST HORIZON are tied for most unwatchable.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#3530Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 2:43pm

Wait. Are we talking about Arquette being nominated for "Boyhood"?

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#3531Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 2:45pm

^ I know, right? I found her totally underwhelming (but didn't think much of BOYHOOD in general, so...)

themysteriousgrowl
#3532Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 2:51pm

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3533Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 3:00pm

With the exception of GRAVITY, films that are nominated for Oscars which were released in the summer don't normally do well in winning them, plus BOYHOOD seems like that kind of film that tries way to hard but there was passion in the making. Which is something I'd rather sit through than something so crass and commercial like Stephen Daldry's "masterpiece" EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE.

Someone in a Tree2, MAME is a bad movie indeed but I feel that NINE (for all of it's ridiculous faults) is becoming a guilty pleasure movie I wouldn't mind watching for it's rare good moments. "Be Italian" anyone?

themysteriousgrowl
#3534Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 3:03pm

MM, I like "Nine," too. I was initially crushed that the material had been so sliced-and-diced, but taking it on its own terms -- as much as is possible -- I think it's a fine film.

So, there. I liked "Nine" and thought "Boyhood" was just okay.

Feel free to disregard all of my opinions on movies henceforth.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3535Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 3:09pm

^And that's why I like Rob Marshall so much, he hasn't made a film in his career that I actively disliked or hated, heck I enjoyed Pirates 4 despite it's inherent issues.

themysteriousgrowl
#3536Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 3:14pm

Well... let's not get hasty.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#3537Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 3:30pm

Aqurette will not be forgotten. Besides the fact that Boyhood is the best reviewed film of the year, her performance was praised and Best Supporting Actress is pretty wide open.

As for movies being released in the summer and getting nominations/wins (Gravity was released in the fall, not summer), anyone remember The Hurt Locker?

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#3538Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 3:37pm

"Man, I hope she's remembered when nominations come out. I just fear it was released too long ago and the momentum behind it is completely gone and forgotten"

Nope. She is still the frontrunner and everyone considers her a lock for the win. I don't think she is as safe as everyone thinks (I found her performance to be highly overrated) but she will definitely get nominated and most likely win if no surprises come her way.

LinManuelSondheim Profile Photo
LinManuelSondheim
#3539Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 3:42pm

1. It's like a Arquette/Streep bloodbath at the cornucopia.
2. The main thing a person has to do to get a nomination is to campaign. So n order for Arquette to assure a nomination, they would have to campaign a lot. Disney is the marketing king on the other hand. They campaign so much that it's as if everywhere you see is Into The Woods. So Arquette is beautiful and Meryl is magnificent but to assure a nomination or even a win, they need to campaigN, campaign, CAMPAIGN!

Showface
#3540Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 3:44pm

Then again, wasn't everyone certain Emma Thompson would get in for Saving Mr. Banks?

jimmycurry01
#3541Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 3:45pm

I am shocked by the love for Patricia Arquette this season. I thought her performance was very weak.

Showface
#3542Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 3:46pm

I didn't see Boyhood...I was just going by all of the praise she seems to have gotten, and still is getting from her performance.

LinManuelSondheim Profile Photo
LinManuelSondheim
#3543Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 3:51pm

Oh yeah she was wonderful to. But the crowd was packed that year with Gravity and Blue Jasmine and American Hustle and Everything. The category this year is less packed as it was last year and since she's going supporting, she only has one or two people to beat.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#3544Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 8:06pm

Boyhood, love it or hate it, will be remembered this awards season. IFC ponied up quite a bit of dough for an Oscar campaign. Arquette will be nominated, and unless Streep is absolutely an awards juggernaut, Patricia will likely be an Academy Award winner by winter's end.

ShakinBaconGirl
#3545Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/30/14 at 6:56am

*RANT*

Why are they shilling the hell out of this film so early? First stay with me and now Steps of the palace? Can't we just wait for the film to enthrall us in the theatre instead of forcing it down our throats in this ridiculous marketing campaign? I swear, the little "Blah blah in New social media image" is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. It's just photos we have seen a thousand times with awfully edited lyrics on the bottom. ugh.

*RANT over*

Thanks for watching ShakinBaconGirl's "What really grinds my gears". Filmed in front of a live studio audience.

Updated On: 11/30/14 at 06:56 AM

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#3546Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/30/14 at 9:34am

more 'HOLLYWOOD BUZZ"...it seems the OSCAR prognosticators think the INTO THE WOODS..is only a sure nominee for:
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS...MERYL
BEST COSTUMES
BEST ART DIRECTION
BEST HAIR AND MAKEUP

with possibles being
BEST SCREENPLAY ADAPTION
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

I was kinda shocked not to see INTO THE WOODS in the top ten at least for BEST FILM...and this list was composed days after multiple screenings here and in NEW YORK...YIKES!...thank god for the GOLDEN GLOBES...there the movie should pick up BEST MOVIE, BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR noms...at least!

Updated On: 11/30/14 at 09:34 AM

ShakinBaconGirl
#3547Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/30/14 at 9:55am

It's gotten pretty mixed reactions so I'm not surprised.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3548Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/30/14 at 10:55am

"Thanks for the honest review. I'm still looking forward to the film but I'm not expecting it to be anything worth watching twice"

So... are the glowing reviews that don't fall in line with your increasingly pessimistic views of the film not honest?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ShakinBaconGirl
#3549Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/30/14 at 11:19am

Pessimistic is a strong word. I'm actually looking forward to this film. My whole family and I will be watching it on Christmas Day. Am I expecting it to be an awards darling? No. Am I expecting it to be as good as the Broadway show? No. Am I expecting to be more or less entertained? Yes. What's the problem here?

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos