HADESTOWN Previews

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#350HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 10:06am

PhantomOfFleetStreet said: "He reminded me of Dean Stockwell as Al from Quantum Leap at certain times (I wonder if anybody in this thread will know what I'm talking about.)"

'Ya mean that TV show that starred Broadway hunk Scott "Rhymes-with-Dracula" Bakula? Yup!wink

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#351HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 11:08am

uncageg said: "I was lucky enough to see SPIDERMAN! Reeve gave me one of the most memorable moments, for me, on Broadway when he sang "Boy Falls From the Sky"."

Spider-Man v2.0 was rather a mess (I wish I'd seen Julie Taymor's version), but "Boy Falls From the Sky" was a great song.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#352HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 11:09am

uncageg said: "I just kept wondering if they cast everyone in the ensemble smaller than Timothy Hughes as he really stands out. But no complaints here!"

Does anyone know if he's on social media? I couldn't find him on Twitter or FB.

Brian07663NJ
Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#354HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 11:18am

Brian07663NJ said: "https://www.facebook.com/timothyrhughes"

Thank you!

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#355HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 12:55pm

uncageg said: "I was sitting in row j seat 4"

How was the view from this row? I bought row J, seat 109 (which I think is dead center) for June.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#356HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 2:00pm

Lot666 said: "uncageg said: "I just kept wondering if they cast everyone in the ensemble smaller than Timothy Hughes as he really stands out. But no complaints here!"

Does anyone know if he's on social media? I couldn't find him on Twitter or FB.

"

https://www.instagram.com/timothyrhughes/?hl=en

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#357HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 2:23pm

quizking101 said: "I saw this yesterday afternoon and I am also now obsessed. I thought the score was fantastic, the cast was stellar, and I already want to go back.

Granted, I have one reservation and that is the underdevelopment of Hades until later in the sorry and his introduction in Act I gives me “Hello, Little Girl” from ITW vibes.

And yes, Timothy Hughes is just wonderful to look at from near and far. (Him and I are the same height and he commented about it at the stage door and I had to keep from hardcore blushing)
"

Ha yea 6'6 he's a big boy and super sweet. I see him at the Equinox on Monday's

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#358HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 2:59pm

Lot666 said: "uncageg said: "I was sitting in row j seat 4"

How was the view from this row? I bought row J, seat 109 (which I think is dead center) for June."

should be perfect. I saw everything. A wide open stage. You will also get the "full effect" of the set and lighting.

Just give the world Love.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#359HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 5:29pm

I finally caught the show last night after following the show from afar for the past several years. I absolutely loved it and found it an incredibly thrilling experience. Almost all the changes they've made since NYTW and even London worked really well for me. That having been said...

The current version Epic III has an effective message, tying Hades and Orpheus together as two men who are filling with the same kind of longing, who have both lost their loves and are "poor boys" without them, and that's a beautiful idea lyrically, but the song itself isn't particularly beautiful anymore. There's almost no melody left to it other than the "La la la la la la la" refrains. It's like Orpheus just strums and speaks extemporaneously until the last stanza.

I'm trying not to be overly attached to the song on the concept album or the NYTW cast album, and the other changes in the show were improvements, I think, but this one? "A song so beautiful that it changes everything?" It just left me a little cold.

Anyone else feel that way, or is the new Epic III an improvement in your minds?

PhantomOfFleetStreet
#360HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 6:08pm

Completely agree with you about Epic III @Ourtime. It's my favorite song on the concept album and the NYTW album but it sounded kind of rambly in the Broadway version. I missed the "Origin of Love" sound the song used to have.

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#361HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 6:09pm

now that you guys mention it, I DO wish that the show would end with wait for me.

and maybe push build the wall 2 or 3 songs into act 2, or scrap it all together.

I HATE the fact that people laugh when he first sings WHY DO WE BUILD THE WALL. Ive seen it 4 times and every time someone makes the trump connection and laughs. -.-

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#362HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 6:17pm

Hi guys,

Just a question.  Sons the only way to get a discount tickets in advance  is thru Todaytix without picking your exact seat? 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

CarmenA3 Profile Photo
CarmenA3
#363HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 6:41pm

DAME said: "Hi guys,

Just a question. Sons the only way to get a discount tickets in advance is thru Todaytix without picking your exact seat?
"

Actually, there is a discount code (SONGBIRD) that works both at the box office and on Ticketmaster. If you're going to the box office, check seat availability online beforehand and have a few dates/seats ready to give to the agent. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#364HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 6:49pm

CarmenA3 said: "DAME said: "Hi guys,

Just a question. Sons the only way to get a discount tickets in advance is thru Todaytix without picking your exact seat?
"

Actually, there is a discount code (SONGBIRD) that works both at the box office and on Ticketmaster. If you're going to the box office, check seat availability online beforehand and have a few dates/seats ready to give to the agent.
"

Thank you so much.  Do you prefer extreme side orchestra seats?  Or extreme side front mezz?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Impossible2
#365HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 7:02pm

Robbie2 said: "quizking101 said: "I saw this yesterday afternoon and I am also now obsessed. I thought the score was fantastic, the cast was stellar, and I already want to go back.

Granted, I have one reservation and that is the underdevelopment of Hades until later in the sorry and his introduction in Act I gives me “Hello, Little Girl” from ITW vibes.

And yes, Timothy Hughes is just wonderful to look at from near and far. (Him and I are the same height and he commented about it at the stage door and I had to keep from hardcore blushing)
"

Ha yea 6'6 he's abig boy and super sweet. I see him at the Equinox on Monday's
"

He's also the guy that reached off the stage and ripped that idiots Trump banner out of his hands.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#366HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 7:03pm

getupngo said: "now that you guys mention it, I DO wish that the show would end with wait for me.

and maybe push build the wall 2 or 3 songs into act 2, or scrap it all together.

I HATE the fact that people laugh when he first sings WHY DO WE BUILD THE WALL. Ive seen it 4 times and every time someone makes the trump connection and laughs. -.-
"

When I saw it we were all crying so hard from Wait for Me lol. I love Amber Grays " Anybody wanna drink?" at the end

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#367HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 7:23pm

Lot666 said: "Spider-Man v2.0 was rather a mess (I wish I'd seen Julie Taymor's version), but "Boy Falls From the Sky" was a great song."

Both versions were a mess. Taymor's was a mess trying (and often failing) to be art. The follow-up was a mess trying (and often failing) to be a crowd pleaser.

BdwyFan
#368HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 7:38pm

Fetch is not happening. It’s just not.

Impossible2
#369HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/5/19 at 8:31pm

getupngo said: "now that you guys mention it, I DO wish that the show would end with wait for me.

"

Hasn't Trump brought about enough negative changes in the world?

Who cares if a few idiots laugh, an idiot will always be an idiot. 

The day we let idiots run the world...oh wait...

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#370HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/6/19 at 1:31am

Impossible2 said: "Who cares if a few idiots laugh, an idiot will always be an idiot."

The more I think about it (and I've been ruminating on it for a while), I do. I do care because when that song was written, there was no President Trump, or Trump wall. Although the lyrics are exactly the same as when it was written and then recorded on the concept album, the context and allegory is completely different now, in 2019. 

Why? Because of Trump.

Without having any direct hand in the creation of the musical, or this particular song, he's drastically changed the writers original context (it would be very hard for me to believe that Mitchell was thinking about Trump and his wall at the time the song was written) - solely by being the DWE (d!ck with ears) that he is. 

How differently would Why We Build the Wall be perceived by audiences had Trump never run for President?

Updated On: 4/6/19 at 01:31 AM

After Eight
#371HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/6/19 at 6:14am

"I HATE the fact that people laugh when he first sings WHY DO WE BUILD THE WALL. Ive seen it 4 times and every time someone makes the trump connection and laughs. -.-"

Blame the creators for that, not 2019 audiences.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#372HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/6/19 at 6:46pm

I don't think the song itself is problematic, but it would play better if it had a bit more introduction or context. Right now, Hades comes to the front of the stage, all his workers are perfectly lined up, and he calls and they answer. If the song were staged in such a way that it brought the straying workers back into line or acknowledged the cracks that Orpheus has caused and then "fixed" them, I think it would feel more organic to the story and less a political commentary.

LightsOut90
#373HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/7/19 at 1:32am

Saw this afternoons matinee and while I really liked this one at NYTW, I LOVE it on Broadway, is Reeve perfect, no, but everything else is magnificent and easily best musical, director, lighting and supporting actress TONY for Amber

Seriously the staging during Wait For Me was magical and having Andre DeShields back on Broadway after so long is a delight.

and you know what, let people make the Trump connection, I think thats not an invalid interpretation of that moment, the whole idea of the song is about how walls are dividers used to control groups of people 

buy tickets now, come nominations this is going to be a hot hot ticket.

NYCblurb
#374HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/7/19 at 1:43am

Finally saw Hadestown. It is extraordinary. Powerful, inventive myth retelling that's intimate as it is epic. Wonderful. Not a book musical, which still seems somewhat disjointed in its flow, but the piece is AD worthy without doubt.

A lover of theater for decades. Teacher by day. Family man by night. See more theater than most, oftentimes a hesitant plus one.

Videos