pixeltracker

Unpopular Opinions You Hold- Page 15

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#350re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/20/09 at 3:44pm

9 TO 5 is quite good. It should have been nominated for way more Tonys and should have taken home at least one for its awe-inspiring set design.

claudioislove Profile Photo
claudioislove
#351re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/21/09 at 3:24pm

I adore Seussical the Musical.

Because I look different you think I'm subversive.

TheatreDork2
#352re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/21/09 at 3:49pm

I would rather see Shrek AND 9to5 then see Next to Normal.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#353re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/21/09 at 5:07pm

I enjoyed the Guys and Dolls revival.
Allison Case gets on my nerves sometimes.
I cannot stand Patti LuPone in any capacity whatsoever.
Johanna Day was a better Barbara than Amy Morton.
Everyone loves "Eat the fish, bitch," but my favorite August: Osage County quote will always be, "You don't wanna break sh!t with ME, muthaf-cka!"

I know you. I know you. I know you.
Updated On: 7/21/09 at 05:07 PM

Lumen2 Profile Photo
Lumen2
#354re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/21/09 at 5:08pm

I think [title of show] is overrated.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#355re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/21/09 at 5:10pm

^I'm not so sure that is all that unpopular here....and I agree. Liked it, didn't love it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Lumen2 Profile Photo
Lumen2
#356re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/21/09 at 5:15pm

You're probably right. But I will never forget how upset those nine people were when it was snubbed at the Tony's.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#357re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/21/09 at 5:21pm

Everyone loves "Eat the fish, bitch," but my favorite August: Osage County quote will always be, "You don't wanna break sh!t with ME, muthaf-cka!"

That's actually my favorite line as well.

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#358re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/21/09 at 5:38pm

I don't like Billy Elliot at all, and I was furious the three boys from it won Best Performance By an Actor in a Leading role. They could not act or sing in tune, or do more than one thing at once. Yes they can dance, but when they sing, they often stand there stiff as a bored, with no expression.. Why should they get the award over the men who have studied acting, had tons of professional experience, etc. They shouldnt even have been nominated.

I HATED Spring Awakening, and I saw the original Broadway cast. Most of them were very talented.. but I thought the show had WAY too many characters and too many plots. Way too many things happening, and most of the plots came out of nowhere and went nowhere. I also think it's funny that people were saying that it was "The new Rent" yet it only stayed open for a little over 2 years, and Rent was open for almost 12 and half. I will admit that the length of a show's production does not always means its better than shortlived ones, or even good at all (Cats), but I still find it funny.

The Only show that I thought was worse than Spring Awakening was The Color Purple. I have never been so bored in my life. I hated everything about it, I've never been so happy to see Curtain Call take place before. Those were the two worst shows I ever saw.

I also do not like Eden Espinoza's singing. I think it's very screechy, and does wayy too many riffs.. Stephen Schwartz shouldve yelled at her for the way she would sing Defying Gravity.

All very unpopular opinions, but I stand by them strongly.

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#359re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/21/09 at 6:23pm

I love THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, but the book bothers me. I can't help but feel that although Margaret goes on about 'giving her daughter a chance to live and love' her main concern is pulling a fast one by palming off her poor brain-damaged daughter on those simple, passionate (and colosally stupid) Italians so she can go back to a carefree life of bridge parties, finger sandwiches and fabulous clothes.

I half expect Margaret's last words at the church door to be "She's all yours, suckers!"

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"
Updated On: 7/22/09 at 06:23 PM

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#360re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/21/09 at 6:48pm

I'm sorry TulitaPepsi, you are entirely entitled to your opinion, and I know that's what this thread is for, but I have to say that I don't agree at all. I don't see that in her character. I'm actually kinda surprised anyone feels that way. lol

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#361re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/22/09 at 1:53am

Soliantu, it's amazing how two people can agree so steadfastly about one thing and diverge so thoroughly on another. In this case, you and I agree completely about "Spring Awakening" but could not disagree more about "The Color Purple." Granted, I did not think it was the best thing I ever saw, and it could have been trimmed by 20 minutes, but I loved it and feel so glad I got to see it.

As far as Eden Espinosa's singing, I believe your comment is a popular one, actually. No one ever says her name without packing in an insult on this board, at least in my experience. I for one thought she was wonderful as the titular Brooklyn in BKLYN, but only because her character was supposed to be green, innocent and self-trained. :) She definitely has an impressive voice, but yes, she overdoes it. I thought she was very underwhelming as Elphaba, too, when I saw her do it in February 2006. I never saw a performer so casually walk through a major musical theatre role until I saw her do this. I would not be surprised if I found out she was ill the night I saw her.

Well, that's enough of that.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#362re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/22/09 at 2:04am

"I love THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, but the book bothers me. I can't help but feel that although Margaret goes on about 'giving her daughter a chance to live and love' her main concern is pulling a fast one by palming off her poor brain-damaged daughter on those simple, passionate (and colosally stupid) Italians so she can go back to a carefree life of bridge parties, finger sandwiches and fabulous clothes.

I have expect Margaret's last words at the church door to be "She's all yours, suckers!""

lol. (Just the way you said it not laughing at you or anything).

But still, if this were the case then why would she initially be hesitant to the idea of Clara getting married/being with Fabrizzio (was that his name? I can't remember)

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#363re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/22/09 at 4:27am

Yeah, it's Fabrizzio. Score for your memory!

I do not think rap has a place in musical theatre *ahem...ITH...*

(or maybe it's the fact that that musical gets on my nerves anyways)

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#364re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/22/09 at 6:25am

But Margaret never really comes clean with the Naccarellis either - she's a bit duplicitous!

Still love the show despite my misgivings about the plot.

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#365re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/22/09 at 11:46am

"I do not think rap has a place in musical theatre *ahem...ITH...*"

I'm sorry, but unless you have some reasoning I'm missing, that is an incredibly close-minded statement. Whether or not you like ITH is beside the point. Hip Hop is a perfectly legitimate style of music, not to mention a wildly popular one. It deserves its place on Broadway just like rock music did/does.

AvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
#366re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/22/09 at 11:56am

I'm happy for Susan Boyle and don't mind reading about her.

Everything in life...is only for now.

saveusmike Profile Photo
saveusmike
#367re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/22/09 at 3:40pm

I didnt care for Billy Elliot and didnt see what all the talk is about.

I didnt think the 3 billys deserved the tony(s). I think it was done to spice things up and was more gimmick than anything.

I really enjoyed 9 to 5 and Shrek the Musical.

I thought the last incarnation of Waiting for Godot was terribly boring, dispite its interesting story.

Enjoyed Hair and rock of ages, but didnt get too into either show. could have took of left it

"Everything in life, is only for now" -Avenue Q

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#368re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/22/09 at 4:53pm

I probably said this in my last post, but I LIKE EDEN ESPINOSA's voice, ya you saw right. She's talented

Patti is great, but not all that and a bag of chips like she thinks she is.

monestere Profile Photo
monestere
#369re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/22/09 at 5:06pm

I know this is a minority opinion and at the risk of incurring the wrath of the petty and vicious on this board: I absolutely hate the movie version of "Chicago". A crummy singer, Rene Zellweger is the worst Roxie Hart in the history of the role and pales by comparison to Gwen Verdon in the Broadway original and especially Ginger Rogers in the 1940 film of the original play. Richard Gere was also terrible as Billy. Catherine Zeta-Jones & Queen Latifah were the only performers who nailed their roles in the film despite Rob Marshall's lackluster direction. All you have to do is see "Chicago" and especially "Memoirs of a Geisha" to know that Rob Marshall, at least as a film maker, is incapable of directing his way out of a paper bag.

My Avatar is the amazing young singer, James Anest

bwaylvsong
#370re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/23/09 at 12:56am

I saw Shrek and 9 to 5 today and loved them both!

lisaatje009 Profile Photo
lisaatje009
#371re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/23/09 at 12:13pm

Although I think Adam Lambert is a good singer, it's my opinion that there shouldn't be news about him here on BWW anymore until he has actually done something on Broadway.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#372re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/23/09 at 12:26pm

I do want to see Hair eventually, but it isn't at the top of my list. I disliked the song they did at the Tony Awards, and I don't get why everyone was raving about the performance. Is it just because they did the audience interaction there? It probably is something that looks better in person.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Myglass989
#373re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/24/09 at 2:09pm

Happy to find this idea present on this board (so I guess its not so unpopular after all!) but I think the Billy boys are overrated (as was the musical in general). They do 2 shows a week each and the other actors in the category do 8. Thats clearly unfair. I think they are very talented, so they should have been given a special award.

I also think that Greg Jbara did not even deserve to be in the Supporting Actor category (hello, Aaron Tveit!!) let alone win.

And...I liked Glory Days...

Myglass989
#374re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/24/09 at 2:33pm

also, I liked LuPone Gypsy better than South Pacific. And I think LaChanze in Once on This Island should have won the Tony over Daisy Eagan in The Secret Garden.

Videos