pixeltracker

NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews- Page 17

NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews

willep
#400NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/22/16 at 7:26pm

I was wondering that too, actually...my guess is The Great Comet of 1812.

willep
Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#402NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/22/16 at 9:08pm

Can anyone who has sat in the rear mezz tell me how interactive it was up there? I really want to have the actors dance by and get an egg or dumpling or something like that, but I can't afford any other seats. Thanks!

willep
#403NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/22/16 at 9:32pm

Try to get an aisle seat and be as close to the front of the rear mezz as you can. I felt a little left out when I saw it from the rear mezz (I had previously seen it from a much better seat, so I may be biased), but it felt like the actors only came up the aisle near me two or three times. It's all staged much more for the front mezz. 

Actually if you can be near the platform in the middle section of the rear mezz, that would be a good spot too I think.

aimeric
#404NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/22/16 at 9:33pm

Correct, willep: the CD that comes with the book has three songs from the off-Bway recording ("Charming," "Sonya Alone," and "Balaga" ), plus "Dust and Ashes" and "The Great Comet of 1812" by Josh Groban.  Matter of fact, I'm listening to Groban's "The Great Comet of 1812" as I type this...so weird not hearing Dave Malloy, but this Groban fellow doesn't have a half bad voice.  NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews

P.S., the book as a whole is really fascinating, and Malloy's annotations for the libretto are so goofy.  :)

Updated On: 11/22/16 at 09:33 PM

willep
#405NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/22/16 at 9:43pm

Ha. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't popped up online yet. I'm getting the book for Christmas and looking forward to checking it out. As for Groban, yeah, that was one of the hardest parts of seeing the show for me. I am just so used to Dave Malloy's voice, which is a bit different than Groban's to say the least.

aimeric
#406NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/23/16 at 12:29am

I was actually kinda thrilled at how well Groban did handle the score when I saw the show, because that was hands down my number one fear when the Broadway production was announced.  I even think he handles the score better live than he does in these recordings...somehow his acting choices don't come across as strongly in his singing on the recorded versions as they do in the way he uses his voice onstage.  I like the recording of "Dust and Ashes," but I was blown away by his rendition in the context of the show. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#407NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/23/16 at 6:17am

Where did you get th e book? At the theater?  I looked on Amazon and didn't fibd it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

fscmocsgal Profile Photo
fscmocsgal
#408NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/23/16 at 7:08am

dramamama611 said: "Where did you get th e book? At the theater?  I looked on Amazon and didn't fibd it.

I bought mine at Barnes & Noble.

dramamama611
#409NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/23/16 at 7:34am

Found it this time.  In pre-order until next week.  Pretty sure I can wait!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#410NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/23/16 at 9:12am

Saw this last week. I've never felt so "meh" about material but LOVED a physical production so much. I had the time of my life at the show, but I only think a few songs are memorable. I thought Groban and Steele were fantastic, but was unimpressed with Benton or Ashford. Amber Gray walks away with the first act.

I seem to be in the minority in disliking the material, but regardless I'm so happy something this daring is finding success on Broadway.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

aimeric
#411NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/23/16 at 12:13pm

fscmocsgal said: "dramamama611 said: "Where did you get th e book? At the theater?  I looked on Amazon and didn't fibd it.

I bought mine at Barnes & Noble.

"

Me too.  30% off for Black Friday sales too!

mpd4165
#412NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/23/16 at 12:39pm

Leaf Coneybear said: "Can anyone who has sat in the rear mezz tell me how interactive it was up there? I really want to have the actors dance by and get an egg or dumpling or something like that, but I can't afford any other seats. Thanks!

"

I was in the last row of the mezz and they made their way up to me for dumplings, and I got to toast w/ an ensemble member during the Balaga sequence. Don't worry, I can't imagine a bad seat for this show. 

Leaf Coneybear
#413NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/23/16 at 1:44pm

I was in the last row of the mezz and they made their way up to me for dumplings, and I got to toast w/ an ensemble member during the Balaga sequence. Don't worry, I can't imagine a bad seat for this show.

great to hear, thanks!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#414NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/23/16 at 1:58pm

The book is only available online via Barnes and Noble's site. 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-great-comet-steven-suskin/1125166961

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
dramamama611
#416NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/23/16 at 6:02pm

But it seems a though B&N had a little bit of time where they had an exclusive, as Amazon doesn't ship until next week. 

E. riley
#417NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/24/16 at 10:18am

Sorry if this has been covered in the thread but is there any word on a new soundtrack? Josh Groban and this cast sounds amazing and they deserve it but then so did Psycho and Shuffle Along.... and we know how that goes.

Anybody know?

dramamama611
#418NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/24/16 at 10:33am

Yes, there will be a new recording  NJ of I info  on release date.

bluetuna
#419NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/24/16 at 11:03am

To those asking about the rear mezz, we were the third or fourth-row from the back, and the woman next to me got a dumpling.  (Much to my dismay, I did not.)  We moved up to the front of the rear mezz during intermission and were given the egg shakers, which were a lot of fun!

ebontoyan
#420NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/24/16 at 8:48pm

I just got out of this show (yeah I left at intermission) and was really bored. I fell asleep for most of Act 1. Pierre (Josh Groban???) was great though.  I had high hopes for this show especially with raves from this board and being touted as a Tony contender!  Off to Dear Evan Hansen tomoro.  Hopefully that lives up to the hype!!!

Updated On: 11/24/16 at 08:48 PM

Leaf Coneybear
#421NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/24/16 at 8:55pm

Updated On: 11/24/16 at 08:55 PM

annang
#422NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/27/16 at 4:39am

So I realize that this isn't what most people want, but are there seats in the house where you can be pretty much guaranteed that performers won't try to interact with you? Because I love this music, but I absolutely loathe anything that feels like audience participation, and I'd love to be able to go see the show without worrying that someone is going to try to talk to me or touch me. Possible? If so, what seats should I be targeting?

ebontoyan
#423NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/27/16 at 8:07am

We were in rear Mezz 2nd to the last row.  The ensemble made it out there. We just looked bored and did not engage and were pretty much left alone. Our neighbors to the left and right, up and down were calling out to the ensemble asking for some treats and they got the attention! Altho I think we were like sore thumbs but good thing to do to be ignored!

ebontoyan
#424NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/27/16 at 8:26am

PS: I think this applies to wherever you sit not just in rear mezz

Videos