pixeltracker

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions- Page 19

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#450Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/4/17 at 12:49am

There seems to be two types of people. The ones that say Noblezada and Benton, or the ones that say Altomare and Osnes for the last two spots.

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#451Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/4/17 at 1:19am

Butter Broadway, count me in the middle of that! Thinking it will be Noblezada and Altomare!

pupscotch
#452Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/4/17 at 1:23am

I personally have Altomare and Benton, so I think I too would be in the middle of that then.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#453Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/4/17 at 7:09am

Butter Broadway said: "Why not? He's not good? I can't imagine Groban is giving a better performance than him.

"

You obviously haven't seen great comet. Groban is fantastic! 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#454Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/4/17 at 7:43am

As we've seen within the past two years, both lead acting in a musical categories were filled with nominees from productions that were nominated for Best Musical and/or Best Revival. So if The Great Comet does well on nomination morning, Denee Benton could likely go along for the ride. If Miss Saigon gets the third slot for Best Revival of a Musical (which I'm currently predicting), Eva Noblezada could go along for the ride as well. As for Christy Altomare, we shall see how Anastasia will end up being received by critics.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#455Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/4/17 at 7:50am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "As we've seen within the past two years, both lead acting in a musical categories were filled with nominees from productions that were nominated for Best Musical and/or Best Revival. So if The Great Comet does well on nomination morning, Denee Benton could likely go along for the ride. If Miss Saigon gets the third slot for Best Revival of a Musical (which I'm currently predicting), Eva Noblezada could go along for the ride as well. As for Christy Altomare, we shall see how Anastasia will end up being received by critics.

"

You've already made this point on like 5 threads. We get it. 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#456Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/4/17 at 8:08am

Do you think that the Tonys may give an honorary award to Sunday in the Park with George?  I haven't heard of this happening before, but I honestly haven't heard of a production dropping out of the running either.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#457Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/4/17 at 8:48am

HenryTDobson said: "Jeffrey Karasarides said: "As we've seen within the past two years, both lead acting in a musical categories were filled with nominees from productions that were nominated for Best Musical and/or Best Revival. So if The Great Comet does well on nomination morning, Denee Benton could likely go along for the ride. If Miss Saigon gets the third slot for Best Revival of a Musical (which I'm currently predicting), Eva Noblezada could go along for the ride as well. As for Christy Altomare, we shall see how Anastasia will end up being received by critics."

You've already made this point on like 5 threads. We get it.
"

Well, I apologize for beating this dead horse.

neonlightsxo
#458Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/4/17 at 8:57am

Altomare and Noblezada. Butter Broadway stop making generalizations on your new username of the week.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#459Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:18am

icecreambenjamin said: "Do you think that the Tonys may give an honorary award to Sunday in the Park with George?  I haven't heard of this happening before, but I honestly haven't heard of a production dropping out of the running either."

I mean, they certainly could in theory- the Tonys can give honorary awards to any person or production they like. But why would they for this particularly production? I was less enamored of it than many, to be fair, but I don't think there's anything about it is exemplary enough to merit a special award. It's a good production of an excellent musical, which isn't that unusual. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#460Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/4/17 at 11:29am

I wasn't so enamored of Sunday in the Park either, but I would totally give a special Tony to that Chromolume. 

I'mHere79
#461Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:14pm

When was the last time there was a 3-way race for Best Musical?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#462Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:21pm

I'mHere79 said: "When was the last time there was a 3-way race for Best Musical?"

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 2005 was the most competitive season in recent history (Dirty Rotten ScoundrelsLight in the PiazzaSpamalot, and Spelling Bee).

Elder_Melchior
#463Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:26pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 2005 was the most competitive season in recent history (Dirty Rotten ScoundrelsLight in the PiazzaSpamalot, and Spelling Bee)."

I believe you're correct, 2005 was an extremely suspenseful season.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#464Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/5/17 at 8:10am

Do you guys think Madison Ferris will be nominated for Featured Actress in a Play?

Rainah
#465Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/5/17 at 8:38am

BobbyD3 said: "I know this puts me in the minority but I actually didn't enjoy Brittain Ashford at all in Great Comet.  I thought it was tragically underplayed and her voice affectation is over-the-top the point of total distraction.  "

I agree with you, and I adore Comet. Nothing about her acting stood out to me at all, and I didn't like Sonya Alone - seems like they could have skipped 90% of it and not been any worse off

neonlightsxo
#466Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/5/17 at 8:40am

"Do you guys think Madison Ferris will be nominated for Featured Actress in a Play?"

No way.

HenryTDobson
#467Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/5/17 at 8:45am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Do you guys think Madison Ferris will be nominated for Featured Actress in a Play?

"

I believe that production will receive zero nominations. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#468Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/5/17 at 9:42am

The current "locks" for Featured Actress in a Play, in my opinion, are:

Jayne Houdyshell (A Doll's House, Part 2)
Cynthia Nixon (The Little Foxes)
Condola Rashad (A Doll's House, Part 2)

I'd also wager that Lindsay Mendez of Significant Other has an extremely strong shot at a nom. That leaves one last spot (again, just IMO).

neonlightsxo
#469Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/5/17 at 9:48am

If they can stay open that long.

HenryTDobson
#470Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/5/17 at 10:47am

What are people's thoughts about choreography? It's not a great season for dance.

A Bronx Tale, Bandstand, Hello Dolly, Holiday Inn? 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#471Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/5/17 at 10:51am

Hello, Dolly! seems like the obvious winner- although from the reports a lot of it is taken from the original. 

Is A Bronx Tale that dance-heavy? I guess it could get in  based on the weakness of the category, but I keep forgetting it's even playing. I'm biased because I love the show, but I really wouldn't be surprised to see Comet included- it isn't a giant dance show, but there's tons of movement and it has a showstopper in the middle of Act 2. Other shows have been nominated for less. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#472Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/5/17 at 10:52am

HenryTDobson said: "What are people's thoughts about choreography? It's not a great season for dance.

A Bronx Tale, Bandstand, Hello Dolly, Holiday Inn? 

ANASTASIA and THE GREAT COMET are also worth noting.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#473Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/5/17 at 11:10am

At this point, my predictions for Best Choreography are:

Warren Carlyle-Hello, Dolly!
Kelly Devine-Come From Away
Peggy Hickey-Anastasia
Denis Jones-Holiday Inn, The New Irving Berlin Musical
Sam Pinkleton-Natasha, Pierre, & the Great Comet of 1812

Does anyone think it's possible for Indecent to sneak in?

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#474Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/5/17 at 11:12am

Realy?  Come from Away for choreography?  It's just a bunch of foot-stomping.

Videos