pixeltracker

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews- Page 19

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#450MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/12/24 at 2:49pm

There was already a pro-shot of the West End production ten years ago.

I prefer Eden Espinosa over Lindsay Mendez as Mary (I saw the 2017 Boston production) and wish Eden was in this revival but I understand she had a leading role in Lempicka and that's hard to pass up!

yyys
#451MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/12/24 at 6:20pm

wow, they're charging $364 a ticket for the last row in the balcony!

hearthemsing22
#452MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/13/24 at 11:37am

yyys said: "wow, they're charging $364 a ticket for the last row in the balcony!"

Insanity. On social media they used to have promos saying "$74 dollar tickets!", now it's just "don't miss it!". 

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#453MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/13/24 at 11:43am

hearthemsing22 said: "Once again, 72 shows is not a significant part of her contract."

I entirely agree with you that we shouldn't be prying into an actor's personal business, especially since we already know enough about her personal business to understand why she might have missed a bunch of performances. If there's any legitimate gripe, it's strictly about how the production handled her absences, assuming some of them were predictable.

However, 72 shows is nine weeks' worth of performances, and obviously that's a significant part of her contract.

Updated On: 6/13/24 at 11:43 AM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#454MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:20pm

I do wonder if Mendez’s absences will affect her Tony chances.

I remember back in 2004 Donna Murphy was a front runner for the Tony for but she missed several performances. Idina Menzel ended up winning.

willep
#455MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:45pm

hearthemsing22 said: "yyys said: "wow, they're charging $364 a ticket for the last row in the balcony!"

Insanity. On social media they used to have promos saying "$74 dollar tickets!", now it's just "don't miss it!".
"

“You’ll still have your second kidney left after buying a ticket!”

hearthemsing22
#456MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:47pm

kdogg36 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Once again, 72 shows is not a significant part of her contract."

I entirely agree with you that we shouldn't be prying into an actor's personal business, especially since we already know enough about her personal business to understand why she might have missed a bunch ofperformances. If there's any legitimate gripe, it's strictly abouthow the production handled her absences, assuming some of them were predictable.

However, 72 shows is nine weeks' worth of performances, and obviously that's a significant part of her contract.

"

We also have to realize we don't know what's in her contract, and how many of those absences were planned. And how many the production is allowing. Why can't we give a pregnant actress a break?? Yes, I have been reminded plenty of times that people see the show because of the leading trio, but at the same time, we have to understand the immense pressure she's putting on herself. I'm seeing the show in a few weeks. Would I be disappointed if I don't see her? Personally, no. I would not. But that's just me. 

Updated On: 6/13/24 at 12:47 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#457MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:53pm

In New York for a brief trip and can see Merrily either Friday or Saturday evening the 21st or 22nd. Is either one more likely to have all 3 leads?

hearthemsing22
#458MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:56pm

willep said: "hearthemsing22 said: "yyys said: "wow, they're charging $364 a ticket for the last row in the balcony!"

"

“You’ll still have your second kidney left after buying a ticket!”
"

"Take out a loan and experience this Tony Nominated revival!" 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#459MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:57pm

hearthemsing22 said: "kdogg36 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Once again, 72 shows is not a significant part of her contract."

I entirely agree with you that we shouldn't be prying into an actor's personal business, especially since we already know enough about her personal business to understand why she might have missed a bunch ofperformances. If there's any legitimate gripe, it's strictly abouthow the production handled her absences, assuming some of them were predictable.

"

We also have to realize we don't know what's in her contract, and how many of those absences were planned. And how many the production is allowing. Why can't we give a pregnant actress a break?? Yes, I have been reminded plenty of times that people see the show because of the leading trio, but at the same time, we have to understand the immense pressure she's putting on herself. I'm seeing the show in a few weeks. Would I be disappointed if I don't see her? Personally, no. I would not. But that's just me.
"

She's above the title, and she's missed almost 25% of performances, with 0 announced by the production in advance of people arriving at the theatre to find out she's not there, which started last fall, way before she was pregnant. If that doesn't matter to you, fine, but why do you continue to lecture others that do care, and have every right to be upset or annoyed? It doesn't make you a better person than they are, so please stop acting like it does. 

Updated On: 6/13/24 at 12:57 PM

inception Profile Photo
inception
#460MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/14/24 at 10:24am

Had a crazy dream last night that the original production of Merrily was completely different from what it was in reality. In my dream the set was was similar to the current revival and with an all star cast:

Franklin - Sidney Poitier

Charley- Woody Allen

Mary - Angela Lansbury

Beth - Suzanne Somers

Joe - Art Carny

Gussie -  Joan Collins

The show was a big hit, running almost 10 years.  Songs from the show became standards - bigger than Send in the Clowns.  Sondheim was always on late night TV through the 80's.

But the big success had great repercussions.  Sondheim never wrote Sunday in the Park.  He did write Into the Woods, but it was more saccharine missing Children Will Listen among other songs.  The show closed after a few months and didn't become a staple of community theatre.

In other media, on TV when casting Krystal (edit: on Dynasty) producers wanted Lansbury instead of Linda Evans - and as result the character is almost as bitchy as Alexis.  Never developing the warmer persona she gained on Murder She Wrote, Lansbury is later never considered for voice work on Beauty & the Beast.

I woke up shook, like I had been living in some sort of alternate reality.  But it was all a dream. 

Updated On: 6/14/24 at 10:24 AM

MezzA101
#461MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/14/24 at 11:57am

Complete Tony Award Predictions 2024

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater/complete-2024-tony-award-predictions

But in a race this close, the deciding factor may be practical: The pregnant Mendez has missed a lot of performances this spring—including, presumably, some at which Tony voters were present. That just might put Lewis over the top.

MezzA101
#462MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/15/24 at 5:22pm

yyys said: "wow, they're charging $364 a ticket for the last row in the balcony!"

And they just jacked up the price of some tickets for the final performance from $899 to $999.

Sondheim and Prince must be laughing in their graves.

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#463MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/15/24 at 6:58pm

PalJoey said: "In New York for a brief trip and can see Merrily either Friday or Saturday evening the 21st or 22nd. Is either onemore likely to have all 3 leads?"

I missed her twice - both on two-show days.  I went on a saturday and she missed both shows that day.  I went on a wednesday evening and she was out but I believe played the matinee.  I would recommend going on Friday.

MezzA101
#464MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/17/24 at 2:43pm

Save on ‘Merrily We Roll Along’ tickets to see Tony-winner Daniel Radcliffe

https://nypost.com/2024/06/17/entertainment/merrily-we-roll-along-ticket-discount-see-tony-winner-daniel-radcliffe?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#465MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/17/24 at 4:20pm

Thank you! The $25 discount helps but at the same time, know that this is through the secondary ticket reseller site vividseats.

Given the prices are $$$ even with the discount, I think for peace of mind it's best to buy directly from the box office.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#466MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/17/24 at 4:27pm

It's best to go back in time to purchase them.  I bought my tix for tomorrow night back in January (I think, it was within a week of the extension being announced, whenever that was) for approx a hundred bucks a piece for front row balcony.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MezzA101
#467MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/18/24 at 10:42am

dramamama611 said: "It's best to go back in time to purchase them. I bought my tix for tomorrow night back in January (I think, it was within a week of the extension being announced, whenever that was) for approx a hundred bucks a piece for front row balcony."

Please report back on how "It's a Hit!" goes. Gonna be something special.

MezzA101
berniesb!tch
#469MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/19/24 at 11:17am

Saw the show for the 3rd time last night after being gifted tickets by a friend. I sat first row mezz and it was by far the best view I have had of the show (and my first time seeing Lindsay who was). 

Last night was very special. The audience reaction to Just a Hit was rapturous and you could really feel the love this cast has for each other, particularly those main 3. I greatly enjoy this production and was so glad to see it, but I do not think I will ever understand the insane hype around it. I can think of at least 3 shows I have enjoyed more this season off the top of my head. But once again, I did have an extremely enjoyable time last night. The cast really is making magic out of a flawed show.

I do have to be honest, I am so glad Maria Friedman did not win direction. I find the Gussie characterization so misguided and out of sorts with the rest of the production, and felt the same watching the filmed London version so I know it's not just Krystal. I know it's a difficult part, but she really did not work for me. Dayna'a Tony was well deserved. Still, there is no doubt Maria is one of our finest directors and the only reason this production happened in the first place.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#470MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/19/24 at 12:21pm

I also sat front row mezz/dress circle last night! To me those seats have the best view at the Hudson! No heads in front of you. Close enough to see facial expressions/tears yet far enough to see the big picture. That starry sky at the end was magical.

As for Maria Friedman, I'm not too familiar with her work but I recall listening to a podcast where they said Merrily is the only time she ever directed a stage production. If that is true, then I'm interested to see more of her perspective/work in the future as a director.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#471MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/19/24 at 1:43pm

And, I, too, was in the front row mezz last night.

Perfect seats on a perfect night with perfect celebrations from beginning to end.  

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

MezzA101
#472MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/19/24 at 3:54pm

The spread on the price of a ticket for the final performance is now $599-$1299.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#473MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/19/24 at 5:27pm

Has a regularly priced Broadway ticket even been as high as $1299 ($1249 plus $50 in fees)? Seems unlikely.

Updated On: 6/19/24 at 05:27 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#474MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 6/19/24 at 6:04pm

Front balcony, this time (Tues night)

A truly beautiful and love filled night.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos