pixeltracker

Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day - Page 2

Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day

Barney Stinson
#25re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 10:13am

I don't know for sure, but I actually doubt Dolly has any of her own $$ in this. Sure she's getting royalties and a producer's fee, and if they were actually making money, I'm sure she gets a chunk of the profit, but I wouldn't think Dolly Pardon would have risked her own $$ for this, when she didn't have to.

Meaning, the decision to pull the plug probably isn't hers.

DancingThroughLife2
#26re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 10:13am

i also think 9 to 5 would do very well touring. Its score is catchy and has cool, yet expensive, scenery, and its just all in all a veryyy funny show

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#27re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 10:24am

Something I thought was nice in the article is that they encouraged Dolly to keep writing and compared it to Elton John. His first few musicals didn't do so well, and now look, he has a tony award-winning show under his belt.

See, and I thought the comparison to Elton John was very strange, given that he'd already had two successful shows under his belt when he wrote Lestat. The Lion King was a huge success, and John had already won a Tony for the highly successful production of Aida. It's not as if Lestat was his first Broadway outing.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#28re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 10:32am

Also, I'm pretty sure Billy Elliot was already open for a year in London when Lestat opened.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

massofmen
#29re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 10:45am

see, i told you so.

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#30re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 10:51am

I stand corrected.

Which theaters are open for them to transfer to if that is really what they intend to do.

massofmen
#31re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 10:54am

When was the last time a broadway show switched theaters.
Do you know how much money that would cost? Think about it.

They have to redo all the sets because i am sure the dimensions will be different. A load out costs anywhere from 500,000-700,000 and a load in costs about a million.
So where do they get all that money from JUST for the load in and outs? NO where. They used all their reserve from trying to keep the show alive in the marquis when they weren't making op costs.

There is no way this show will move theaters. It will become a tiered tour just like legally blonde and make good money on the road. Again, I liked the show very much. Sad to see it go because I thought it was fun, but there is no way financially that the show will move theaters.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#32re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 10:57am

massofmen- I agree with you that "9 to 5" will not move theaters, nor would it be a good idea, but the last time a Broadway show moved theaters was very recent: "The 39 Steps" just moved to the Helen Hayes after having moved into the Cort.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#33re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 10:59am

A shame for any show....Gee...how fast do things need to "catch" on before they throw the towel?

But my favorite part:

"The Little Mermaid" is also closing Labor Day. When this fiasco opened to lousy reviews in January 2008, Disney executives ran around town telling everyone that the reviews didn't matter because "The Little Mermaid" was like "Bank of America."

Let's see.

Bank of America stock price, January 2008: $50.

Bank of America stock price, July 2009: $13.

You know what? Those Disney executives were right!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#34re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 11:14am

You know, I really wish that people would stop giving Joe Mantello a hard time. Yes he has had a few duds in his day, but what director hasn't? Mantello is a two time Tony winner for his brilliant work on both Take Me Out and Assassins, and his productions of Glengarry Glen Ross and Love! Valor! Compassion! were also spectacularly done. And to be perfectly honest, while Julia Roberts was a dud, I think his direction on Three Days of Rain was actually pretty decent. Yes Wicked, his best known, is not his best work. Yes 9 to 5 isn't the most spectacularly directed show ever. But, he has done some really amazing work in the past. People on here talk about him like he's freakin Francesca Zambello. Give the guy a break.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#35re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 11:16am

"but the last time a Broadway show moved theaters was very recent: "The 39 Steps" just moved to the Helen Hayes after having moved into the Cort."

The 39 steps is also TINNNNNYYYYYYY compared to 9 to 5.

Yankeefan007
#36re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 11:19am

Mantello is a hack who got lucky a few times.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#37re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 11:20am

You really cant compare transfering a play to a musical, generally Musicals are way more complicated in set and sound design. Most plays dont even have a set change.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#38re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 11:23am

I'm with yankeefan, the good shows that he was able to helm the past five years, were good because of the actors involved. Glengarry Glen Ross had a brilliant ensemble and Blackbird featured two masterful actors in Jeff Daniels and Alison Pill. I believe his successful works have been despite his presence.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#39re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 11:26am

I skipped the show this weekend because I had planned on seeing it in October, and in the back of my mind I was worried the show would close come Labor Day. Guess I was right.
Riedel is a lot of things, but usually he's right.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#40re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 11:28am

Wicked would have been a mammoth hit with or without Mantello at the helm. It's not as if there's anything particularly innovative about his direction (and I say this as someone not afraid to admit that I really like Wicked).

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#41re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 11:28am

I respectfully disagree with Yankee. I strongly believe that Take Me Out was certainly a product of Mantello's vision and work. I think the same of Glengarry which, while having a wonderful cast, could have been a fest of scenery chewing. Instead the performances were perfect. And Love! Valor! Compassion! (in my opinion his best work) was brilliantly crafted. Would another director have done a good job? Possibly. But i don't think that takes away from the great productions Mantello DID accomplish.
Updated On: 7/29/09 at 11:28 AM

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#42re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 11:35am

The point is he hasn't done masterful directorial work (if you want to call it that) in years. And I don't believe you can credit Mantello for restraining the scenery chewing in Glengarry Glen Ross. I credit that pitch perfect ensemble of actors who knew what they're doing. If he had the capacity to restrain scenery chewing he certainly lost it over the past few productions, i.e. The Odd Couple and November.

homeimp
#43re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 11:39am

This is a 9 To 5 thread. Why the crack about one of the best and most varied musical theater scores of the decade?

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#44re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 11:48am

Can we be optimistic here? If Megan goes back to Wicked, she might prevent Anneliese van der from being Glinda. Somebody GOOD will actually be back on that stage (with the exception of Alli, who I actually liked).

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#45re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 11:56am

You can't blame Mantello for the scene chewing monster that is known as Nathan Lane. No matter who the director is, Lane always chooses to do the same thing (in the recent Godot and Nicholas Martin's recent production of Butley it's the same story). However, Dylan Baker and Laurie Metcalf were fabulous in November. I wouldn't consider that show a scene chewing fest with the exception of Lane who is notorious for it.

ghostlight2
#46re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 12:16pm

"see, i told you so".

Seriously, are you twelve, massofmen? Or do you just behave that way? You also told us Hair would be a huge flop - and many, many other things that proved not to be true. Seriously, you need to get over this "I am a prophet" thing. Seek professional help.

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#47re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 12:18pm

I'm sure it will be very popular on tour, so the show is not a total loss.

I, for one, am looking forward to it being revived years from now with a new (much, much better) book. The show could have been so much better but, for me at least, the book just shot the show in the foot from moment one.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#48re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 12:29pm

It'd be flat out bizarre if it transferred, but ten years ago people didn't think Frank Wildhorn was serious about transferring the already mega-flop THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL into the Neil Simon after a (or 2) year and a half disastrous run at the Minskoff. New scaled down sets/et al. Hey - they even did a Pre-Broadway mini tour as well before that!

If Dolly has the money, who knows, maybe SHE will be the one financing an entire transfer. Maybe she/the producers will somehow think it's a good idea??

Off-Topic, but my favourite thing about musical theatre flops,...people ALWAYS criticize the book (if they love the show) and say how if it was different, the show would be so much better. ..Probably not!

Yankeefan007
#49re: Riedel: 9 to 5 gets fired Labor Day
Posted: 7/29/09 at 12:35pm

Lane was actually considerably restrained in GODOT, especially compared to his other recent shows.

Mantello doesn't direct - he blocks. And he lets the actors figure everything else out himself. With good actors, it works. With celebrities who've never been on stage before, he doesn't know what to do.

Need I relay the THREE DAYS OF RAIN story again, where I saw him spend the entire performance with his head in his hands?

Videos