pixeltracker

Now is Our Time, Ragtime: The Official Ragtime Love Thread- Page 2

Now is Our Time, Ragtime: The Official Ragtime Love Thread

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#25listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/28/09 at 8:10pm

Darrington was out of the matinee today. Terence Archie went on as Coalhouse. Would love to hear reports on his performance, if anyone was in attendance.

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#26listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/28/09 at 8:24pm

I loved this production so much! I really hope they record a new cast recording.

Also, the cast is so nice at stagedoor- especially Quentin.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#27listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/28/09 at 8:31pm

Well Singingbackup was there this afternoon, so maybe he'll comment on Terence Archie.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#28listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/28/09 at 9:09pm

He was good, but not great. Lacked a bit of power in his vocals. Solid acting. I am sure with more experience he would make a decent Coalhouse. Sometimes it baffles me as to how some are chosen as understudies. There were others in the male chorus who had much more stage presence. Still couldn't diminish my joy with this production.
Updated On: 11/28/09 at 09:09 PM

DottieD'Luscia
#29listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/28/09 at 9:25pm

I know Eric Jordan Young went on at least one time for Quentin during the DC run, but I don't know anyone who saw him. He has a beautiful voice though. Who knows what determines which understudy goes on, but I see in the Playbill that Coalhouse has 3 understudies. I think this might have been the first time Quentin has been out on Broadway, so Terence's lack of power in his vocals could have been a case of nerves.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#30listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/28/09 at 9:26pm

I would love to see Eric Jordan Young go on, but I bet he reads a bit older than the others, and that might not be what they want. Plus, they'd need to put another u/s on for Booker T. Washington if he went on for Coalhouse.
Updated On: 11/28/09 at 09:26 PM

DottieD'Luscia
#31listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/28/09 at 9:30pm

I wonder if Quentin was out tonight as well.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#32listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/28/09 at 9:32pm

If Darrington is going to be out tomorrow, I'd consider lotto-ing. Not because I disliked Darrington, but because I like to see other takes on the role.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#33listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/28/09 at 11:51pm

We're gonna say Terrence was still feeling the nerves of his first time on. I saw the matinee, and friends in attendance during the evening said he was fine.

Bohmer said Quentin would probably be out again tomorrow.
Updated On: 11/28/09 at 11:51 PM

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#34listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/28/09 at 11:57pm

I would love to see Young's Coalhouse.... I have seen him in a lot of things and he is a really wonderful, talented actor and performer.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

Nick Plasia
#35listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 12:30am

Updated On: 11/29/09 at 12:30 AM

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#36listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 12:51am

I know there has been a lot of chatter about the low sales and attendance for this show, but last night the house was packed. Sounds like today, too. THAT'S GREAT! This is a show that DESERVES to run a long time.

I am completely under the spell of this production. It is the one show I am committing to when I return in December. (DOTTIE, when are you going back?)

I would be more specific, but everyone has basically said everything!

Actually, I will say a few things:

In DC, I saw Carrie A. Johnson instead of Christiane Noll. I think Noll is spectacular. But I want everyone to know that Carrie Johnson was just as good! Both remarkable performances (I give Marcia Milgrom Dodge some credit here, too!)

I do not understand how Brantley could so coldly dismiss Quentin Earl Darrington's performance. (Well, of course, I DO ujnderstand...'cause it's Brantley.) I think Darrington is heartbreaking...which is pretty impressive given the fact that he is a terrorist!

Robert Petkoff is heartbreaking, too. And funny and moving. I BELIEVED he was Sarah Rosenthal's father...as in, when they leave the Neil Simon each night, they go home to the same house! His performance is exquisite. (I did not see Manoel Felciano in DC. I saw Jonathan Hammond, who plays Houdini in the current revival, and I thought he was fabulous in the role. If you happen to be in the audience when Petkoff is out and you see Hammond, you will not be disappointed.)

Loved Bohmer, Steggert, Cox, Umoh and Young. Thrilled to see so many people making their Broadway debuts! (And a shout-out for Tracy Lynn Olivera, a DC regular!) Loved it all!

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

DottieD'Luscia
#37listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 6:22am

Miss Pennywise, I remember you saying Carrie Johnson was very good as Mother when you saw her in DC and I'm kind of curious as to why she's not a part of the Broadway production.

I'll be there again on December 12.

And to add: what's up with the haters of this show over at ATC. They're spewing their venom again.

Updated On: 11/29/09 at 06:22 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#38listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 8:57am

Caught the matinee on Friday. The Mezzanine was not close to full (the sides were entirely empty as were the last 5 or six rows). This allowed my sister and I to move much closer for Act II, which was wonderful.

Let me preface this by saying: I'd never seen another production of Ragtime and never even heard the music before, so other than the most basic of plot lines, I went into this cold and very much looking forward to it.

Wow, I really liked it. A lot. I REALLY wish I had moved closer to the front of the mezz earlier, because I think that would have made a huge difference to my overall enjoyment. Loved the set (except when I couldn't clearly see all the levels - a peril due to my seating), loved the music, loved the entire feel.

SO many outstanding performances that it's hard to list them all here:

Quentin Earl Darrington was the soul of the show as Coalhouse. He was enitely riviting throughout. I was moved by his every motivation. The sheer joy on his face at curtain calls was practically worth the price of admission.

Christiane Noll was stunning. The depth she brought to her stillness was simply stunning. (I don't know how much sense that makes to anyone else.)

Ron Bohmer's father was so complex....a journey that isn't over. Beautiful.

Bobby Steggert (younger Brother) was perhaps my favorite role. (I don't know how much of that comes from the actor v the story). I love seeing a character that goes through so many changes and becomes one of conviction.

Stehpanie Umoh (spelling?) was beautiful and tragic, but OH, I would have loved to have seen Audra.

The more I think about the show, the more I want to return!

I hope Ragtime finds the audience it deserves and has a long healthy run!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

DottieD'Luscia
#39listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 9:08am

"The depth she brought to her stillness was simply stunning."

I totally understand what you're saying.

As I've seen the show numerous times, I find myself watching Ron Bohmer and his reactions to the proceedings on stage.

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#40listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 9:17am

I want to join in on the Ragtime love! I saw it last Tuesday; my mom was visiting for Thanksgiving so I brought her to see it, and it was the perfect choice. We both loved it. All the performances were stellar, but Christiane Noll stood out to me. I also thought Ron Bohmer added so much depth to a difficult role. The entire cast was wonderful, but, like dramamama, I wish I could have seen Audra as Sarah. There was one funny moment when the baby's leg fell off at a very inopportune moment (actually, I guess there would be no such thing as an opportune moment for that to happen), but the cast handled it well and stayed in character. I just love this show, I love the music, and I was incredibly impressed with this production. I'm ready to go back! We sat in the rear mezz and we had a great view (we were in the first row of the lowest price level and no one was sitting in the row in front of us), but we moved to the front mezz during intermission.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#41listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 9:42am

dramamama, I totally understand what you mean by Christiane bringing "depth to her stillness." She does such a beautiful job with Mother and there is so much nuance to her performance.

As much as I love Robert Petkoff and think he's giving a great performance, I really wish Manoel Felciano had been able to transfer with this production...I loved his take on Tateh. He had such a sweetness to him and his relationship with the Little Girl made it so obvious that she was the center of his world, and while I think Petkoff also does a great job with that particular part of the role, there was just something so genuine and lovely about Manoel's performance.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#42listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 11:26am

LOL #1Elphie I was there for that as well. How great was it when the entire cast totally kept it together as they audience just lost it? My favorite was after the show the cast was joking about "is this your first time seeing the show with an amputation?" and Noll said she wanted Jayden to hop out on one leg at the end.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#43listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 11:35am

Dottie, I was disappointed when I realized that Carrie would not be part of the Broadway production. listen to THAT Ragtime.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

Oldschool
#44listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 1:29pm

Eric Jordan Young went on only once as Coalhouse, and did a stellar job. I'm not sure why some feel he reads older than Quentin. I'd argue they read the same, age wise, but differently. Quentin has this big man gentleness that comes through and Eric came off with a bit more of the ladies man that Coalhouse is implied to have been before the story starts.

Manoel did a fine job in DC and only didn't come along for the ride because he'd made a commitment to do the rep in San Francisco. My only problem with him was that his accent wasn't all that consistent and often came off a little Boris Karloff....

Carrie Johnson didn't come close to Christiane. Not in the same world, not in the same universe. She did an adequate job -- the show went on and she did her job, but she doesn't have the pipes and she was pitchy and doesn't have the depth and breadth of acting chops.

Nick Plasia
#45listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 1:49pm

Apparently they are posting the closing notice soon; it will shutter in January.

phantomvegas2
#46listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 2:15pm

They are closing?!?! There's no way

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#47listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 2:19pm

I don't think they would post a closing notice so soon...they were mostly very well-received by critics and I think they'd want to at least try and stay open until the Tonys as they have a viable shot at Best Revival.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#48listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 2:20pm

Yes way. According to ATC, it's true.
They are losing tons of money. Updated On: 11/29/09 at 02:20 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#49listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 2:28pm

ATC says Finian's Rainbow will also post a closing notice within the coming weeks.
Updated On: 11/29/09 at 02:28 PM

Videos