pixeltracker

Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?- Page 2

Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#25Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/25/10 at 3:14am

I dunno, do we need a recording of every revival? Especially when the original cast recording is such a classic? A case can be made for Promises, Promises because the OBCR has such abysmal vocal performances and even ALNM which provides a lot more show material than the original. But La Cage? Not so much.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#26Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/25/10 at 3:21am

The vocals aren't really the highlight of this production, as much as I loved it.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#27Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/25/10 at 3:23am

^ Boy is that the truth. I actually found Grammer a better singer than Hodge. Hodge may have reinvented the character, but his vocals are just really unpleasant.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#28Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/25/10 at 3:25am

The orchestrations don't do it much justice either. (Wait, this was nominated for a Tony for Orchestrations? Ugh.)

~Steven

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#29Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/25/10 at 3:28am

Yeah. American Idiot and probably Sondheim on Sondheim should have been nominated in place of La Cage and Promises. But of course it's all politics. That's really all it is.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#30Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/25/10 at 3:33am

Did anyone think David Hoge's "I am what I am" sounded a little bit like an Alan Cumming impersonation?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BittenByAZebra Profile Photo
BittenByAZebra
#31Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/25/10 at 3:41am

Haven't you ever heard the German cast recording? That isn't new enough? Kelsey ain't got nothing on them....

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#32Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/25/10 at 3:45am

ljay, those would be two of my picks in a heartbeat. I thought even Everyday Rapture had better, more clever and creative orchestrations than this. I liked Promises, Promises, but it's very similar to the originals yet doesn't really improve upon them. And out of the last two, I'm hoping Fela! takes it. Authenticity is hard to come by, and those orchestrations come pretty close. More closer than those unoriginal, not creative at all orchestrations for Memphis.

I don't know why I bother. It's not like Tony nominators and voters have any idea what orchestrations are. Or sound design. Or anything else.

~Steven

Dollypop
#33Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/25/10 at 5:33am

If you'd taken the time to read the interview I did with Jerry Herman, he explained that no recording companies had come up with offers. He says he's very happy with the obc disc, however.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#34Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/25/10 at 5:40am

"I dunno, do we need a recording of every revival?"

The proper theater fanatic answer is "Yes".

OK, I have to admit that I want this out of pure greed.

My sister and I did my first ever trip to New York/Broadway this year from Washington State (shocking to all my co-workers, because all I ever talk about is theater with them), and the three shows that we went to see are "A Little Night Music" (has a recording), "Promises, Promises" (will have a recording), and "La Cage aux Folles" (no recording as of now).

The person running the "La Cage" twitter feed even commented on my listening to the Japanese cast recording of "La Cage".

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#35Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/25/10 at 11:16am

I hope that someone does record the current LA CAGE. I think that the orchestrations are fine, given the small number of instrumentalists. There is a fuller sound than what I would have thought. And I prefer Kelsey Grammer to Gene Barry on the OBCR. I can't stand Gene Barry either in the acting or singing departments. A recording of the current revival would commemorate one of the best evenings in the theatre I have ever had.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 5/25/10 at 11:16 AM

broadwayfreak2 Profile Photo
broadwayfreak2
#36Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/29/10 at 5:05pm

Should we start a petition?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#38Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/29/10 at 5:37pm

Personally I would rather see it taped for Great Performances.

Ed_Mottershead
#39Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/29/10 at 5:38pm

Having seen the production, I think a new recording would be in order. It's not like there's a zillion La Cage recordings out there and it's one of Jerry Herman's best. Could also be more complete than the OCR.

BroadwayEd

bryan
#40Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/29/10 at 10:56pm

no get over it la aux follies will not get a cast cd made like cry baby i am over not get a cast cd of cry baby.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#42Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/30/10 at 12:45am

"I'd much rather a remaster of the OBCR than a new recording."

I agree , if you could exchange the LOUSY vocals of Gene Barry for anyone.
I never realized what a beautiful song "Song of the Sand " was, until I heard Daniel Davis sing it. Gene Barry sucked .... as did his acting.
Updated On: 5/30/10 at 12:45 AM

musicnerd234 Profile Photo
musicnerd234
#43Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 6/1/10 at 9:05pm

I would love a recording of the new cast, but what I really want is a movie cast of the musical!!!

I thought it was all a flash in the pan. It wasn't until Broadway came along that I felt I had really made it. -Julie Andrews

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#44Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 6/2/10 at 12:07am

As faulted as it was, the Beach/Davis revival from 2005 would have been ideal for a La Cage recording. The casting was perfect and the lazy direction wouldn't have shown on disc. And Davis' singing was gorgeous. As much as I disliked many of the choices (or lack of) in the 2005 revival, Davis was a standout, giving a vocally perfect performance.

I'd much rather they film this current revival for DVD. Hodge's performance was amazing, but his vocals weren't the highlight. You'd lose a lot of his magic on a CD.

I'm in the camp that would much rather have a first rate remaster of the OBCR.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Videos