pixeltracker

Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?

Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#1Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/12/10 at 6:40am

What are the possibilities of them recording the upcoming revival? With Grammer's name attached this time around it might be easier to get a label to take the project...

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/12/10 at 9:10am

Judging only by the few clips I have seen from the London production and the promos with Grammer, I would have preferred for the 2005 revival to have been recorded. It was just a louder and more polished sound. Not that and less polished, smaller sound isn't suitable, but the OBC recording is low quality and difficult to hear those great orchestrations. The last revival would have been brought today's great sound quality to it.

But what's in the past is in the past and I would LOVE for this upcoming revival to have a recording!!!!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/12/10 at 9:17am

Do we really need Doug Hodge croaking out I Am What I Am on disc? By all accounts (even from those who liked it) this is not a "well-sung" production.

CONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
#3Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/12/10 at 10:12am

I think Doug hodge sang the part BEAUTIFULLY and nailed the characterisation with it, I would of prefered the previous revival to have a recording as it had a full orchestra, but this would be AMAZING!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#4Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/12/10 at 10:57am

I would have preferred the London revival cast to have been recorded. Too bad it didn't happen.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#5Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/12/10 at 1:36pm

I hope they record it too, but I must say after revisiting the OBCR last week I think it still sounds great.

The original orchestrations are wonderful.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 3/12/10 at 01:36 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#6Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/12/10 at 3:52pm

I've heard that, taz, but on my computer, it's the only album that plays in a lower volume and just sounds...old. I did burn it from a library copy, so perhaps it was the quality of the used CD itself?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#7Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/12/10 at 4:02pm

Capn, my copy plays quietly, too. Not sure why, but it must have something to do with the way it was recorded. If you use iTunes, you can go into the settings for those tracks and adjust the playback volume. Or you can use the Sound Check option, which automatically adjusts each song so that they all play at the same volume.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#8Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/12/10 at 7:42pm

tbh, I LOVE this production but I would rather hav the 2003? 2005? revival record cuz I just ADORE Gavin Creel's Jean Michel, his 'Anne On My Arms'... I melt.

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#9Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/12/10 at 7:53pm

Both La Cage and Into the Woods play VERY quietly for me too...

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#10Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/12/10 at 11:56pm

LA CAGE was one of the very first OCR's to be issued on CD, and it was heavily compressed. If Sony (who now own RCA's catalog) would go back and remix and remaster the original recording I suspect it would dazzle your ears. It was, I believe, RCA's first all-dgital cast album.

I find the levels VERY low not on on LA CAGE but all the others from the late 1980s and into the 1990s. TITANIC (which was only on CD - no Lp) is a VERY quiet recording. Not sure why.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#11Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/13/10 at 1:16am

"TITANIC (which was only on CD - no Lp) is a VERY quiet recording. Not sure why."

YES. This has always annoyed me to no end. When it comes on my shuffle, I turn the volume up, which causes the next song to blow out my ears.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#12Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/13/10 at 2:59am

Do you have the Into the Woods remaster? I don't notice the problem as I did with the original CD issue.

I'm a big Gavin Creel fan and I don't even remember anything from his performance except his long hair.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#13Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/13/10 at 11:01am

I recall reading that PS Classics/Nonesuch is planning to record it, but I can't find where I read it- so take that with many grains of salt.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#14Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/13/10 at 11:07am

You cannot beat the OBCR. It had a very lush sound & the cast cannot be beat.

It is nice to hear the score played by a full orchestra & not the reduced sound of todays musical.

Poster Emeritus

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#15Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/13/10 at 8:13pm

The Australian cast album (with Keith Michell and Jon Ewing) is an imperfect recording but it does have a very "theatre" sound unlike so many recent show recordings. Worth a listen if you can source it.

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#16Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/15/10 at 4:46am

Kad:

Someone on the West End mentioned PS Classic/Nonesuch might be doing it when they were talking about the upcoming ALNM recording. Personally, I don't really see La Cage being a match for what has been released by PS/Nonesuch thus far, but with the way that recordings are these days, who knows.

Though, I can see if a different record label releases La Cage, maybe this will get Sony/Whoever to finally remaster the original Broadway cast album to cash in/compete with it?

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#17Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 3/15/10 at 7:26am

Choitoy, if PS classics released the OBCR of Xanadu, I really don't see why they won't do a La Cage recording (which IS a classic, after all)

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#18Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 4/23/10 at 7:49pm

Anyone heard anything?

Each time I click on here or Playbill.com, I cross my fingers and hope to see an announcement (I know it just opened, but one can hope, right?).

Ryan4
#19Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 4/24/10 at 12:35am

I hope so. I very much prefer the sensitivity in Doug Hodge's voice to George Hearn's bombastic baritone. Also I think the score is very tuneful and would love to hear it in a fresher recording.

broadwayfreak2 Profile Photo
broadwayfreak2
binau Profile Photo
binau
#21Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/25/10 at 2:12am

In that interview with Jerry Herman, he said no one has offered to record it yet.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#22Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/25/10 at 2:57am

Ugh! Sony (preferably, but any other company will do) really needs to get on this. The show seems to be doing pretty well, and if it wins best revival (and tour later), they really do need to do a recording.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#23Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/25/10 at 3:11am

Sony already has the OBCR. I doubt they'd want another competing album.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#24Are we going to finally get a new LA CAGE cast recording?
Posted: 5/25/10 at 3:13am

Yeah, it seems more like a PS Classics project. But I guess they aren't interested in recording it.

Videos