pixeltracker

Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy- Page 2

Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#25Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:53pm

I think he was referring to Popular, the tv series.

Since this thread has already gone off the rails...
Eat, Pray, Spend

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#26Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 1:09pm

Phyllis, that was a GREAT article and sums up my feelings EXACTLY! Thanks for sharing!

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Kevn520 Profile Photo
Kevn520
#27Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 1:12pm

Since this thread has already gone off the rails...
Eat, Pray, Spend

I was just reading that. My favorite bit:

"Priv-lit has transformed Virginia Woolf’s “Room of One’s Own” into an existential space accessed by way of a very expensive series of actual rooms—a $120-an-hour yoga studio, a cottage in Indonesia, a hip juice bar on Manhattan’s Lower East Side. "

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#28Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 1:14pm

Popular is one of my all-time favorite tv shows and Mary Cherry is my all-time favorite tv character. (and of course her mama Cherry Cherry, played by Delta Burke).

SporkGoddess
#29Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 1:35pm

If Ryan Murphy directed Wicked, he'd probably turn Elphaba into a gay teenager trying to live in a world of homophobia and prejudice.

Sorry, I'm still bitter about what he does with Kurt in Glee.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#30Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 1:53pm

What did he "do" to Kurt?

I think people are overinflating the source material just for another excuse to tangentally bash Glee. It's Wicked, not Death of a Salesman. The creator of Popular and Glee can more than handle directing a movie musical about a blonde pretty popular girl in school and her rival the smart kid- I mean, glee club- I mean, witch.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 8/12/10 at 01:53 PM

pinkyboy Profile Photo
pinkyboy
#31Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 2:20pm

As I've already said, I love Glee, but Ryan Murphy has alreay killed Defying Gravity. No way should he be allowed to touch Popular and For good.

P.s. Everyone who hates glee needs to remember its made for teenagers

byebyebaby12 Profile Photo
byebyebaby12
#32Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 3:00pm

It depends if he does the screenplay also, I would not mind him directing then.

But I agree with most of the comments about Eat Pray Love. I love Julia, when I was younger I wanted to be ber, not so much anymore but I still like her.

Not, sure if I like the "In this economy" argument mostly because if you did not have to worry about me, you can't tell me you would not be doing a lot of traveling and seeing shows.

But the idea is incredibly stupid mostly because the real life woman did so she could write a potential best seller out of it. I seriously doubt she went on this long journey and said "You know what, maybe I will write a book about it." She was taking notes and probably starting to write it while she was there.
Updated On: 8/12/10 at 03:00 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#33Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 3:07pm

I believe the trip was financed with her advance money.

byebyebaby12
#34Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 3:08pm

I just found out she was advanced 1k-2k before she left.

FindingNamo
#35Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 3:08pm

There are no commas in the movie title.

Also, the script was written by Eunice from SOAP.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

SporkGoddess
#36Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 3:10pm

He's made Kurt into a Gary Stu who can do no wrong.

#37Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 3:18pm

The entire trip was financed by her publisher so that she could write about it.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#38Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 3:25pm

He's made Kurt into a Gary Stu who can do no wrong.

Or an Angel...

#39Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 3:48pm

Really? I thought he came off believably creepy in his mechanizations to get Finn to move in.

byebyebaby12
#40Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 3:56pm

Yes, but Kurt comes off with halo and they turned Finn into the bad guy by making him use the f-word.

All Kurt wanted to do was turn their bedroom into the Elephant room From MOULIN ROUGE! to seduce his straight, almost step brother. Stupid Finn got pissy for wanting a room not meant for a French hooker and not being gay.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#42Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 4:05pm

And you thought that made Kurt look sympathetic and angelic?

SporkGoddess
#43Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 4:11pm

It made us think he's creepy, but the show itself seems to never care when Kurt does stuff that's either creepy or mean. For instance, he gets to be all upset after Finn's outburst and the latter has to apologize. His own questionable actions are never mentioned again.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#44Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 4:24pm

Elphaba is already a Mary Sue. How would Ryan Murphy's involvement make her worse than she already is?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

SporkGoddess
#45Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 4:33pm

That is actually a very good point. Touche.

AEA AGMA SM
#46Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 5:17pm

"I don't even think Schumacher would do that to an audience."

I wouldn't go that far. Remember, he is the man who gave us the Batsuit with nipples.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#47Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 5:19pm

How would Ryan Murphy's involvement make her worse than she already is?

Autotune.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#48Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 6:02pm

Review - Eat Pray Love

"God's not interested in watching a performance of how a "spiritual person" looks and behaves. The Quiet Girl who glides silently though the place with a gentle, ethereal smile -- who is that person? It's Ingrid Bergman in The Bells of St Mary's. Not me."

This line, from the second act of Eat Pray Love pretty much stands as the best possible review of the film. You can smell the deep sincerity of the book while watching the film, which utterly fails - until one scene near the end - to deliver a deeply honest moment.

The pieces of the puzzle all feel pretty much right on. Casting was fine. They had a great cinematographer. It's an interesting story.

But while this is a big step from his first feature... while I love his TV shows... Ryan Murphy is still unable to deliver honest emotion on the big screen. The movie ends up being exactly what it's origins wanted not to be... a travelogue with a whinny, seemingly wealthy, white woman who spends all of her time complaining when all she needs to do it to appreciate everything the audience is watching her have.
Dave Poland reviews 'Eat Pray Love'

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#49Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 6:37pm

so I'm with those who want him far far away from a WICKED adaptation, he'd completely suck anything interesting and complex in the story and favor overt sentimentality and cuteness with no substance

Like Winnie Holzman did when adapting the novel?

Videos