pixeltracker

Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy

Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#1Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 10:57am

I'd rather Rob Marshall do it and every number be in Elphaba's head.
Apparently, He has "his sights set on directing the WICKED movie."

#2Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 11:03am

Here's what he actually said: "it would be an honor to be asked to [direct the adaptation]."

If you can find something annoying or worse in that, well then, you've got issues.

AvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
#2Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 11:14am

He's just expressed interest. Nothing wrong with that.

Everything in life...is only for now.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#3Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 11:36am

He is also directing the film version of THE NORMAL HEART, which is an interesting shift for him as a director. I'm not at all a fan of Glee, but good for him branching out and taking on different and challenging projects.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#4Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 11:40am

Ryan Murphy DID have a career before Glee, you know. It would be nice if you would bother to take the time to read his IMDB page before posting all these threads whining about him for what you know of the one show.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#5Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 11:42am

None of these things are going to happen if EAT, PRAY, LOVE sucks unwashed Buddhist ass.

And by all appearances, its going to.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 11:44am

Borstalboy, you shut your face, do you hear me? Never, I repeat NEVER use any words besides those that exude sunshine and love when talking about a Julia Roberts movie.
NEVER.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#7Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 11:46am

I'm far more concerned about his ability to do justice to The Normal Heart. But then I remind myself that he was also responsible for Nip/Tuck, so he's not all obnoxious fluff. But still. He hasn't proven to me yet that he's the right person for this. Fortunately for him, I guess, I'm not in charge.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#8Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 11:49am

Yes, Ryan Murphy did have a career before GLEE. Unfortunately, it includes one of the worst movies I have ever seen at the theatre, RUNNING WITH SCISSORS; simply an incredibly messy film that had no beginning or end, it was so bad. He also created NIP/TUCK, a show that started on a good note but that became increasingly sloppy, outrageous and ultimately a big old mess. EAT PRAY LOVE got a pretty lukewarm review from Variety in which Murphy is pretty much blamed for the movie's failure...so I'm with those who want him far far away from a WICKED adaptation, he'd completely suck anything interesting and complex in the story and favor overt sentimentality and cuteness with no substance. Let's be honest, GLEE can be a lot of fun, but Murphy is just not a good filmmaker, not even a so-so one, he's a mediocre film director at best.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 8/12/10 at 11:49 AM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#9Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 11:51am

Regarding the comments on that article (from Madonna, Lourdes and Jesus), why do people - whenever a Wicked movie is mentioned - flip out about making her fly? I don't get why in a show where the first time the woman flies she is holding a broom in one hand and rises straight up in the air is there a concern that it can't be done on film. People are really really stupid.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#10Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 11:56am

I might start a facebook page about having John Cameron Mitchell direct WICKED whenever it happens. I think he would do good things with it.

I want either him or Peter Greenaway (The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, etc) to direct. Although everyone would have a nude scene if Greenaway directs.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

mshetina Profile Photo
mshetina
#11Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:01pm

Bettyboy, I loathe Wicked, but I'd watch a film version of Abie's Irish Rose if Peter Greenaway directed it.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#12Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:02pm

I can't fathom anyone thinking "Eat Pray Love" is going to be a good movie.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#13Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:03pm

I actually really like Julia Roberts...in fact I'm the only person I know who admired her work in MARY REILLY.

But those trailers! It's like, "It's Julia! The Julia you LOVE!! Watch her smile! Listen to her laugh! Don't you just melt when you hear that laugh?! She's riding a bike now! Oh, isn't she exuberant?? Awww, she's making the smile again...sucking on a gelato spoon! Isn't she wonderful...WELL, ISN'T SHE??!!!"

And yeah, after RUNNING WITH SCISSORS I am surprised that they let Murphy do another movie based on a pop-lit memoir sensation. I have compared Murphy with Joel Schumacher in the past, but...a nervous breakdown montage set to "Year of the Cat"?? I don't even think Schumacher would do that to an audience.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#14Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:05pm

Phyllis, I've always hated they flying "illusion" in the stage show! Margaret Hamilton certainly didnt just hold the broom when she wrote "Surrender Dorothy", she effin' RODE the damn thing!

It makes no sense.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#15Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:05pm

I LOVE Julia but this movie is like 2 hours and 40 minutes. Im dreading it already. Plus, in this economy do I really want to see a flick about an ENTITLED WHITE BROAD who drops everything to travel the world and "find herself." How rich???? I really have no tolerance for people like that.

The best part of the trailer was the 2 seconds of Mary Testa folding laundry.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#16Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:09pm

Running With Scissors is the 11th worst film I have ever seen. Saved from the top 10 b/c of Annette Bening's incredible performance.

Regardless of reviews Eat, Pray, Love is expected to bring in a huge opening weekend. If it does it's likely that Ryan Murphy will get his pick of projects.

....but the world goes 'round

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#17Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:10pm

I have an irrational visceral reaction of disgust every time I see Julia Roberts, but I've enjoyed some of her work nonetheless. But this movie seems stupid, just like the book seemed stupid.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#18Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:17pm

Yea, her appeal has definitely worn off for me too.

....but the world goes 'round

pinkyboy Profile Photo
pinkyboy
#19Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:21pm

I'm a Gleek, but he is one of the worst directors for Wicked. Period. I've never seen any of his films, but going by the comments, they're not that good. And if he thinks making Kurt sing Defying Gravity, I can't wait to see what he'll do with the rest of the show :/

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#20Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:25pm

I'm pretty sure this movie will have the opening they wanted for SATC2. Im venturing 60-75 million. The movie poster looks like a Baskin Robbins ad, our sweet, "as we like her" Julia eating gelato off a pink spoon. This is a chick flick wet dream. Also the book was a mad bestseller so all the readers will want to see it.

I for one am really sick of the "spirituality for the Oprah crowd". Average folks being told how to evolve by people with gads of resources and no concept of how to find serenity when you have no means. I'll pass.

#21Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:27pm

I loathe Julia, but every once in a while- Like when she gives the "I'm just a girl....standing in front of a boy" I love her. I am fully cognizant it's completely phony and awful tripe but I'm powerless to resist her charms.

broadwayjim42
#22Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:29pm

As of earlier this morning, Rotten Tomatoes has EPL at 27% positive...most seem to be saying it's too lightweight and inconsequencial to merit the 133-minute running time.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#23Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:32pm

I can't believe we are all forgetting "Popular."

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

pinkyboy Profile Photo
pinkyboy
#24Another thread of my griping about Ryan Murphy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:36pm

:) I think everyone's forgetting Wicked, its all about Eat Pray Love now ^^