"Rent," Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing- Page 2

"Rent," Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#26'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/21/11 at 3:42pm

Susan Clark needs a show there to help revive her career. I'm thinking IN THE HEIGHTS with her and Todd Bridges.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#27'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/21/11 at 3:46pm

They would "cut the sh*t out of it" and make it Brooklyn Heights instead ... Susan would play twins ... no, wait, identical cousins!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Jordan Catalano
#28'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/21/11 at 3:47pm

Why not just do SIDE SHOW with her and Meredith Baxter?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#29'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/21/11 at 3:51pm

The Nashville Dinner Theatre presents

"IN THE HEIGHTS" or "SIDE SHOW'

starring Susan Clark as conjoined identical cousins!

'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing

Updated On: 4/21/11 at 03:51 PM

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#30'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/21/11 at 3:55pm

OH. MY. GOD. I was supposed to be in this!! Dodged a bullet with this one.

DrMark Profile Photo
DrMark
#31'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/21/11 at 4:38pm

As a Nashvillian, may I just say that I'm a little sad to see this? I've been in several great community theatre productions around town, and they are usually conducted with the utmost of professionalism. It's disheartening to see news like this reported, whether it's true or not.

On the upside, the Tennessee Performing Arts Center is announcing the 2011-2012 Broadway Season tonight at 6 p.m. If y'all get a bus to come to Nashville, just let me know. I have a guest room waiting!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#32'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/21/11 at 5:03pm

Go to their website at look at the pictures of the geriatric playing Mark. That should be a rights violation on its own. And I wasn't aware that MTI was allowing theatre companies to cut "Contact." Is this common?

http://www.nashvilledinnertheatre.com/

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#33'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/21/11 at 5:06pm

DrMark, I have no doubt that Nashville has some talented community theatre troupes -- but you do realize that you just volunteered to be the official BWW designee to go check this show out, right? :)

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#34'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/21/11 at 6:19pm

"On the upside, the Tennessee Performing Arts Center is announcing the 2011-2012 Broadway Season tonight at 6 p.m."

Sweet! Just hope it doesn't involve "Cats," "Stomp" or the same old crap as usual.

"If y'all get a bus to come to Nashville, just let me know. I have a guest room waiting!"

Me too!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#35'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/21/11 at 6:29pm

Howver, if Joyce DeWitt should happen to be playing Grizabella, I'll be on that plane again ...

danmag Profile Photo
danmag
#36'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/21/11 at 6:40pm

Omg...this thread was so worth my yearly pilgrimage to the Main Board. I am so on board with a BWW bus trip to witness this hot mess.

"This show had the WORST magnets on Broadway!"

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#37'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/21/11 at 7:35pm

I was wanting good things for this show. If I can, I may just drive up to see this mess. Now, I'm kind of wishing I did it. Sounds like the Spider-Man of the South.

husk_charmer
#38'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/22/11 at 9:14am

You loved her as that dark haired chick on Three's Company....

You loved her when she tackled Mama Rose at Bucks County....

Now see....

JOYCE DEWITT
is
SPIDER-MAN: TURN ON THE BOTOX

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#39'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/22/11 at 10:42am

Actually the best RENT cast/Reunion at the Joyce DeWitt Theatre would be:

Mark: Robert Kline
Roger: Alan Campbell (Three's A Crowd, Anyone?)
Maureen: Suzanne Somers
Joanne: Jenilee Harrison
Mimi: Ann Wedgeworth
Angel:Gino Conforti (Felipe)
Toni Collins: Priscilla Barnes (this Angel/Toni Collins pairing straightens everyone out-plus Angel can be a clown and not a drag queen)

Oh and Maureen and Joanne will be "roommates" fighting over a cable bill.

Oh and everyone will have Chicken Pox not HIV.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

DrMark Profile Photo
DrMark
#40'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/22/11 at 10:46am

I would go check out the show for you guys, but I think I'm busy that run.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#41'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/22/11 at 3:05pm

"Go to their website at look at the pictures of the geriatric playing Mark."

Did you see Rapp on the farewell tour? Not much better. Jowls, balding-not a young bohemian by any stretch. Maybe they were casting based on the film or the farewell tour.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Jordan Catalano
#42'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/22/11 at 3:25pm

Producers should capitalize on Miss DeWitt's comeback and snag her ASAP for CARRIE.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#43'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/22/11 at 3:28pm

I'd love to see DeWitt nail "When There's No One"-she can certainly relate. She has "lived through that s@#t!"

Jordan Catalano
#44'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/22/11 at 3:36pm

"Go to the cellar and pray, Chrissy!"

FindingNamo
#45'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/22/11 at 4:48pm

Now that we see the Tennessee Senate is working on a measure to make it illegal to say "gay" or "homosexual" in schools, it makes me wonder why they would even try to mount such a hard edged and ultra-realistic show like RENT (I kid!).

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

TThere
#46'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/24/11 at 8:47pm

I couldn't help myself. I had to go see this show. No Joyce Dewitt in sight.
I will say this though, the show is excellent. I know that's not what ya'll want to hear, but it's really good.
So here's the horse's mouth report:
It did need more cutting, but for time, not content. It's too long for dinner theatre. I didn't find it very different from when the "Broadway" tour came through Nashville. And the quality was just as good.
The guy playing Mark was too old, yes. But it's community theatre. He sang and acted the role excellently. The costumes weren't period. And the sound system was really bad. But the sound cues and the costumes are really all I can complain about (Christmas in New York is COLD, people; everyone wears coats).
The voices were on, the harmonies were tight, the band rocked, the lights were especially beautiful, the set was perfect for the space, the characters were developed, the atmosphere was perfect for the show.
So aside from all the ugliness (and it looks like that stems from injured egos to me), Nashville has a great new theatre.
I'm going to chalk this up to a BIG misunderstanding.
The show's message remains intact.

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#47'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 4/25/11 at 1:11am

Holy ****. I just read that entire article with my mouth gaping open!

The ignorance is astounding! Specifically the ignorance surrounding HIV. The disease is something I know all too well about and these people are making drama and freaking out over NOTHING. Holding hands? Hugging? Really? Good Lord!

The addition of Janet Wood, um, I mean Joyce D. Witt in all this and her coocoo remarks just takes this story out to the Twilight Zone.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#48'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 5/4/11 at 6:00pm

Press release about Joyce DeWitt taking over in MISS ABIGAIL'S GUIDE... went out today. The first thing I thought of was this thread, had to give it a re-read.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#49'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
Posted: 5/4/11 at 6:28pm

They've been doing a "Guess the next Miss Abigal" contest and I'd thought it was going to be Joyce but in light of the happenings in this thread I didn't think it would be. Looks like I was wrong

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Videos