pixeltracker

More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?- Page 2

More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#25More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 3:53pm

Has everyone forgotten Madonna can NOT act?
Even she seems to get it.

How 'bout a Tim Burton directed/designed version?

redmustang
#26More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 4:10pm

While it's fun to throw around names like Madonna (who can sing but not act) and Pfeiffer and Stone (who can act but not sing), I think it's important to remember that the actress who plays Norma on the big screen has to be a star. A star who can act AND sing AND be 50 years old or at least look 50 years old --- and that only leaves one actress: Meryl Streep.

Updated On: 2/3/12 at 04:10 PM

AEA AGMA SM
#27More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 4:14pm

I have to admit that ten years ago I would have loved Amy Adams as Betty, but as she draws closer to her 40th birthday I'm not sure I would believe her when she tells Joe she is 22.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#28More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 4:42pm

Pfeifer sings as well, if not better than Madonna, watch FABULOUS BAKER BOYS.
Is Jessica Lange too old? Lately she's got the Desmond crazies.

I agree 50 is the perfect age, but in today's world to make sense to the audience I think 60 is more viable.

Jimbob2
#29More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 5:20pm

Would Harry Connick Jnr be good for Joe? He's got the perfect look for that period. I've always wanted 'Too Much In Love To Care' to be done as a slow jazz number.

If not Harry....Mickey Bubbles?

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#30More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 7:28pm

Harry Conick, Jr. 20 years ago...

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#31More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 9:27pm

I wonder if Susan Sarandon could play the part.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

BroadwayFan12
#32More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 9:44pm

Madonna can't sing either... If only Alice Ripley still had the voice for it.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#33More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 10:17pm

Though it's probably unthinkable now, I'd prefer to see Betty Buckley again as Norma, especially if they filmed the stage version.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

sephyr
#34More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 11:28pm

I think Madonna is a fine singer and actor. I enjoyed her in Evita and think her voice has really grown over the years. I wouldn't mind seeing her portray Norma; I wouldn't mind Glenn Close doing the part either. I just want to own the DVD. I've never seen the show but like the music.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#35More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/11/11 at 5:18am

I'd like somebody who can sing it all in the original keys.

Alas, there's only one person capable of that...

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#36More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/11/11 at 8:27am

Vanessa Williams is age appropriate, can act the part, and can sing the score.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#37More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/11/11 at 8:37am

Madonna can act if she wants to. But I don't think she wants to anymore (or at least right now). As professional and enduring as she is, I also thinks she lacks the discipline, at least as far as acting goes, to focus and commit to playing a character for a couple of hours in front of a live audience. I don't think she ever had that discipline for stage. Her last Broadway outing amounted to very brief stage time and was hardly stretching her acting chops.

Her work in the film "Evita" is very good, despite fighting the worst "China doll" contact lenses ever put on a human being who wasn't playing a vampire in cinematic history. They sucked the soul right out of her eyes in every single shot, and it sabotaged her achievements. If you ever get to watch it again, try to imagine her without those hideous contacts, and it's a revelation. I can't believe the director (or her) approved them after screen tests. They're a non-reflective, unnatural nightmare to look at.

Back to "Evita" ... it was a film, and they did many takes, and Madonna could "work up" to her commitment and focus as an actor in front of the camera.

I personally don't think she's disciplined or trained enough to pull it off for two solid hours in front of a live audience for a taping of Sunset Blvd. If it were a filmed version, not live, I'd say yes, though.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 12/11/11 at 08:37 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#38More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/11/11 at 10:15am

Aren't those Webber shows taped on stage done without an audience, though?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#39More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/11/11 at 10:20am

If they are, and she can do multiple takes, stopping and starting as needed, great.

If she's expected to maintain her character and play it all the way through without stopping (like live theatre), audience or not, I don't think she could do it.

lupone76
#40More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/11/11 at 10:25am

hello, nobody has thought of kim catrall...... the right age and certainly seductive... madonna is also a great choice...

random person 112
#41More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/11/11 at 10:31am

People let's get real madonna couldn't sing the score to sunset to save her life, plus do you really think she'd be remotly willing to play a past her prime diva? No, she'd be loathe to admit it or play it. She couldn't even play eva peron for what she really was she sugarcoated the whole story, and frankly i don't need to see that with sunset.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#42More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/11/11 at 10:34am

You don't think Madonna's a better singer than Glenn Close?! She may not win many "best singer" awards, but that one is a pretty easy victory.

EDIT: As far as the "aging diva" character, yes, it would take a certain amount of guts and "image risk" for Madonna to play this part. And since she's not looking to stretch as an actress right now, that would very likely kill the project for her.

Updated On: 12/11/11 at 10:34 AM

random person 112
#43More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/11/11 at 10:35am

Yes but Close can actually act. And best12 close was chosen to lead the Broadway version because she was a star, and could put more butts in seats than LuPone. She couldn't sing the score but she could act it wonderfully. Madonna could do neither.
Updated On: 12/11/11 at 10:35 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#44More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/11/11 at 10:38am

True about Glenn Close ... even though I thought her acting was terrible in Sunset.

The surprise for me was that she sang it much better than I thought she could. I was equally surprised that her acting was borderline embarrassing. She was far closer to Nora Desmond, the Carol Burnett Show spoof.

Updated On: 12/11/11 at 10:38 AM

random person 112
#45More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/11/11 at 10:42am

I still believe that for a DVD release i'd rather see someone who was more of a broadway name for norma and cast joe with a younger star who could sing, buble seems perfect for it, and for a DVD or live cast, would any big names really be willing to do it? I mean i know the movie is great but the show....

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#46More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/11/11 at 10:45am

I think Phantom of the Opera is a title that can sell on its own without a big star in it.

But Webber is right to pursue a star for Sunset. I don't think many people would watch it or buy a home video release with a completely "low profile" cast. It's just not a big enough musical "name" on its own.

Updated On: 12/11/11 at 10:45 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#47More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/11/11 at 10:47am

If this is just going to be a DVD release like his others than my vote is for Elaine Paige. There has never been a Norma better than her.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#48More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/11/11 at 11:01am

Every scene I've seen of Elaine Paige in the role is terrific. I would LOVE to see her as Norma. She comes the closest to achieving what Gloria Swanson did in the film, and that's saying a hell of a lot.

But I fear she's a little too old and a little to (dare I say it?) heavy now. The few extra pounds can be lost (I don't think Norma should be overweight because her plight then becomes confusing ... it should be about about reclaiming her youth, not a slimmer waistline), but Paige, like Norma, can't turn back the clock.

broadwaybabytn Profile Photo
broadwaybabytn
#49More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/11/11 at 11:09am

If only Patti hadn't gained all that weight...

Videos