Raven-Symoné to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT

evic
#25Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:52am

Melanie Griffith as Mother Superior!

justafan2
#26Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT

Because of her name, ticket sales will probably have an immediate boost---her performance will decide whether or not that boost continues.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#27Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT

ljay, to be fair, Raven has lost a ton of weight since that video (which is from almost six years ago.) She looks practically like a different person.

As I said, I'm just curious how much of a selling point she remains to be. THAT' SO RAVEN was a huge hit, but her recent series for ABC Family, STATE OF GEORGIA, was cancelled after just one season. I guess we'll see how she fares.

Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 1/31/12 at 11:52 AM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#28Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:57am

Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 1/31/12 at 11:57 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#29Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:58am

I wasn't referring to her weight in that video. The "choreography" was puzzling.

She has lost weight, but she's only 5'2". She does not have the fit dancer's body that Patina has. Patina just oozes sex appeal when she's not Sister Mary Clarence.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#30Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:59am

The simple fact is that the girl can't act. She has a "schtick" she's stuck with for 20 years and that's all she can do. I'm sure we can close our eyes and know EXACTLY how she'll be in this show.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#31Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 12:04pm

The simple fact is that the girl can't act. She has a "schtick" she's stuck with for 20 years and that's all she can do. I'm sure we can close our eyes and know EXACTLY how she'll be in this show.

Exactly. Mugging on a children's sitcom for a few years hardly makes her a skilled comedienne.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#32Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 12:05pm

Oh she is dreadful. Her shtick is so obnoxious. I wonder how many other people were offered the role before they had to settle on this.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#33Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 12:06pm

Right, but her "schtick" is exactly what this role requires- a broad, over the top, slapstick comedienne. This isn't Shakespeare, for god sakes. There's absolutely nothing subtle involved in a Douglas Carter Beane comedy. What Deloris needs to have is tons of star quality, and Raven has made a career on that.

Besides, you act as if she's been in fifty million movies giving the same performance. She hasn't exactly done a ton of things since THAT'S SO RAVEN to have the opportunity to showcase a range.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 1/31/12 at 12:06 PM

bobbybaby85
#34Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT

Updated On: 2/19/18 at 12:06 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#35Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT

it's at least nice to know the show will stay open through the summer. but unless they find another "name" to replace Raven-Symon in the fall, Sister Act will likely be gone by Labor Day.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#36Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 12:12pm

Bobbybaby, you JUST said you never saw Patina! So you can stop running your mouth.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#37Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 12:14pm

I actually worked with Raven for some promos we produced for the disney. All she has is her shtick. I am not saying it won't be appealing to some. But the girls is very limited. And her family is a nightmare. Best of luck to all involved. And Patina is extremely talented.. and am not basing that just on Sister Act.

Updated On: 1/31/12 at 12:14 PM

bobbybaby85
#38Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 12:15pm

She's performed (if you can even say that) all over TV, including the Tony Awards. There are tons of clips available to watch.

Her Tony Award performance would win a Razzie if they existed for the stage. One of the most disgusting things to ever grace the Awards...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#39Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 12:19pm

People who judge an entire actor's performance solely based on CLIPS deserve to be laughed right off this board..... and that usually happens.

bobbybaby85
#40Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 12:23pm

Updated On: 2/19/18 at 12:23 PM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#41Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 12:26pm

maybe I am out of the loop but will this name sell tickets?

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#42Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 12:27pm

and offensively portraying a Black woman.

What the f**k does that even mean??? I'll stop here, because you are not worth responding to. Especially after an inane statement like that.

bobbybaby85
#43Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 12:30pm

Why is her Deloris ghetto? Why does she hop around the stage like a possessed Baptist minister during Raise Your Voice? Why does she make every line of dialogue resemble ghetto jive street talk?

Whoopi does none of that in the film.

Whoopi = in the SUCCESSFUL film Sister Act.
Patina = pity Tony nomination in a year with no real competition, which she didn't win, in the Broadway musical that's been struggling selling tickets since it opened.

Clearly, there's a problem with her portrayal of the role.

Updated On: 1/31/12 at 12:30 PM

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#44Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 12:35pm

I'm in the "excited" camp. I'm not sure how well she sings but I can say I'm not a fan of Patina. I just found her rather boring. My whole problem with the show is how close it is to the movie and how Patina just feels like a cruise-ship Whoopi. Even if Raven is playing her as "That's SO Raven" Raven it could be a nice fresh slapstick take.

This show is taken way too seriously at is now plays. Shakespeare it ain't.

bwayfan7000
#45Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:01pm

I loved Patina in this show (and really enjoyed the show in general the times I've seen it) but I don't think the acting performance Patina has been giving in the show is really that far off what Raven does already. I'm with somethingwicked here. In fact, I think Patina is closer to the Raven mold than she ever was to the Whoopi-in-the-movie mold. And it seems Raven is trying to break out of the Disney sitcom star mold. The role requires a tremendous amount of presence and sass, and I think even her body of work in the past, limited though it may be, shows that she's exuded that her whole life, since her days on The Cosby Show.

And, further, I respect the producers for pursuing this kind of star casting over Whoopi as Mother Superior. As has been wisely pointed out on this board, the role on Broadway is much more vocally difficult than it was when Whoopi played it in London.

PS, in looking for clips of her singing on Youtube, I found this interview/performance on a talk show when she was very young. Am I the only one who thinks she seems exactly like a Young Deloris would be in real life/the way she was played in the brief bit at the beginning of the film?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhzNL9D7NL4

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Visceral_Fella
#46Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:13pm

I'm SO excited for this! Patina's recent performances haven't exactly been a force to be reckoned with. I was MUCH more impressed when I saw the show with Rashidra Scott. I think Raven will be great!

ChenoKahn Profile Photo
ChenoKahn
#47Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:18pm

Wow you're blaming Patina because Sister Act isn't doing well. It is in no way her fault. Victoria and Patina were called the best part of the show but Patina carries it.

bobbybaby85
#48Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:21pm

Let's play the game of what career Patina will have when she leaves Sister Act... my bets are one more show and then she'll never work again.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#49Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:23pm

The amount of Patina bashing in this thread is ridiculous.

The Deloris that Patina plays is completely different from the Deloris in the film. The musical is set in a different city, in a different decade, and Deloris is WRITTEN as being down and out. She's a singer who has nothing but a dream and is looking for her big break (a club act). In the film, Whoopi's Deloris already has all of those things. They're the same character in name only.

To suggest that her Tony nomination was out of "pity" is the height of idiocy.

Having suffered through Rashidra Scott as Deloris, I can tell you that Patina really does bring a lot to the role, both in terms of comedy and singing.

Videos