pixeltracker

Raven-Symoné to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT

Raven-Symoné to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#1Raven-Symoné to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:16am

"Two decades after she made her Broadway debut at the age of 5, singing with the Boys Choir of Harlem, Raven-Symoné is back on stage as the star of a Broadway musical. The actress-singer is set to take over the lead role in the musical Sister Act based on the hit 1992 movie, replacing Patina Miller as Deloris Van Cartier. Whoopi Goldberg, who played Deloris in the film and its sequel, produces the Broadway adaptation featuring original music by Alan Menken, which opened in April 2011.

Raven-Symoné is slated to begin rehearsals at the end of February and hit the stage of the Broadway Theatre at the end of March for a minimum 6-month engagement..."

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/raven-symone-to-star-in-sister-act-on-broadway/

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2Raven-Symoné to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:28am

Is the show going to be around for six more months?...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#3Raven-Symoné to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:31am

If this is indeed true, their intention is probably to keep it open.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

#4Raven-Symoné to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:33am

oh no. just... oh no.

THDavis Profile Photo
THDavis
#5Raven-Symoné to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:46am

While no one can replicate the sincerity and ferocity of Patina's performance, I can definitely see Raven bringing the sass to the role. As for the dramatic moments and the singing? We'll just have to see.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#6Raven-Symon to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:46am

That's So Deloris

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#7Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:47am

What show was Raven in when she was 5?

ChenoKahn Profile Photo
ChenoKahn
#8Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:48am

She has the potential to be good. I think it's a bette fit than most stunt casting.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#9Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:52am

I think she might be really good in this actually. She'll definitely nail the comedy.

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#10Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:53am

oh no does this mean CHEETAH GIRLS won't be transferring

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#11Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:53am

Well I hope this works. It would be nice if this show stuck around for awhile.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#12Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:55am

It's the last nail in the coffin; although I'd be very surprised if the show stays open long enough for this to happen.

It's a fun little piece if fluff, I've seen much worse, but the show really has run as long as it deserves. They have nothing to be ashamed of (except losing so much of their investors' money, I suppose - but is anyone ever ashamed of that?).

beautywickedlover
#13Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:59am

No surprise since the show needs a boost in ticket sales. I think she has the potential to be good.

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#14Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:02am

My 11 year old self is VERY excited! I think she'll be great. She'll certainly nail the comedy.

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

bwayfan7000
#15Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:02am

I'm very glad that they have pursued "stunt casting" and/or "star casting" that is actually pretty appropriate for the role. Whether or not she can sing it with the intensity that Patina did is still to be seen, but, frankly, Patina isn't even singing it nearly as well as she did at the beginning of the run. It was high time for a new Deloris, and this seems like a good idea.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

beautywickedlover
#16Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:06am

I know I have said this many times, but I'd like to see Anneliese van der Pol play Sister Mary Robert.

bobbybaby85
#17Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:11am

Updated On: 2/19/18 at 11:11 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#18Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:25am

I really hope she has the sex appeal for the pre Sister Mary Clarence scenes. Patina really plays that up.

This will be interesting....

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#19Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:31am

This sounds disastrous.

A thought, though. Is this maybe who they have in mind for the tour? Is it possible they want her to do the show on Broadway through the summer, before headlining the tour in the fall? Updated On: 1/31/12 at 11:31 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#20Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:37am

Her voice is obviously the question mark, but, other than that, Raven is actually very well cast. Say what you will about her, but she's an incredibly funny physical comedienne, and this style of broad comedy is exactly what she does well. Will she sell tickets? I don't know. But there's nothing in her body of work to indicate she won't be great in this role. It's right up her alley.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 1/31/12 at 11:37 AM

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#21Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:41am

I'm certain her voice is just fine for the role.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#22Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:44am

Let's hope her performance is nothing like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTgkoiIw-L4

I'm partially joking....

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#23Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:47am

She's not even in the same league as Patina Miller when it comes to acting or singing.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#24Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:50am

I now have interest in this show. Raven is a force to be reckoned with. I will definitely buy a ticket.

Raven has tons of charisma and is a killer comedienne. Of course she can be sexy-the girl is gorgeous.

She can sing,as well as Patina-doubtful. But she will do well.

I'm very happy about this.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Videos