pixeltracker

No more Giants. Waging war.- Page 2

No more Giants. Waging war.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#25No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/26/14 at 11:13pm

I agree. Not everything Sondheim writes has to be inferred as existential or morbid.

15minutecall
#26No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/26/14 at 11:21pm

Punctuation - and grammar - bring clarity, at least for me. The Baker asks a question: "Can't we just pursue our lives/ With our children and our wives?" Then has asks a follow-up: "Til that happy day arrives (referring to the immediate antecedent of when we can just pursue our lives with our children and wives), "how do you ignore" all the bad stuff?

TazTarney Profile Photo
TazTarney
#27No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/26/14 at 11:23pm

I can't speak for anyone else who saw the death reference, but for me, It was just the first thing that came to mind and has always made sense to me every time I watch the show. Like Showface said, it's up to interpretation and there are many thoughts behind it. The fact that the line was changed for the revival either means it has nothing to do with death and they wanted to make that clear or they have changed minds about the line. Either way, it's up to interpretation. Maybe Rosscoe(au) and Jrybka have more insight on it.

Updated On: 12/26/14 at 11:23 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#28No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/26/14 at 11:38pm

The lyric is straight-forward.

The non-existent happy day when we can peacefully and tranquilly live without all the troubles of life and the drama of and from desire (e.g., giants, witches, curses, reverses, wolves, trials, lies, false hopes, goodbyes, reverses).

iluvtheatertrash
#29No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/26/14 at 11:59pm

Tazber is beloved on this board. You'll lose this battle, Troll.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

iluvtheatertrash
#30No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 12:00am

And deservedly beloved, I might add.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#31No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 12:36am

But'chya arrrrrr a troll, Blanche. Ya ARRRRRRRRR!

MrJude Profile Photo
MrJude
#32No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 1:55am

The happy day meaning Happily Ever After. The baker sort of realizes that there's no such thing, he just has to move on. You can't just be happy and ignore all of those bad thing you did to get there.

Len6677
#33No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 2:02am

I also always took it to mean death/passing on to some better place, but I have no idea if that's the intended meaning.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#34No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 4:02am

Hats off to PalJoey, can't think of a better way to say it.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#35No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 4:21am

Since when is the day you die considered a happy day? That's a pretty crappy day if you ask me.

the lyric isn't hiding anything. The Baker is literally saying two sentences (although one is certainly a prolonged one), neither with any hidden message.
"Can't we just pursue our lives with our children and our wives?
Til that happy day arrives, how do we ignore all the witches, all the curses, all the wolves, all the lies, the false hopes, the goodbyes, the reverses, all the wondering what-even-worse is still in store?"

How do we ignore all those things?

I lurk around this board much more than I post: reading most threads the topics of which seem interesting to me, only posting when I feel I actually have something of interest to add, so as to not appear like I'm talking out of my @ss. It's seemed to me that TazTarney is certainly troll-like, although maybe just not so well-informed.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#36No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 6:19am

This is like English class all over again. Peers correcting grammar and professors trying to make something more meaningful than it was intended.

Except I always thought he was talking about death too because his tone sounds so defeated.

TazTarney Profile Photo
TazTarney
#37No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 8:35am

" It's seemed to me that TazTarney is certainly troll-like, although maybe just not so well-informed."

not well-informed about what? It's obvious I'm not the only one who thought he was talking about death. There isn't just one answer to this.

indytallguy
#38No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 8:40am

It's clearly a reference to the happy day when the iPhone7 pre-loaded with all of Sondheim's recordings is released.

TazTarney Profile Photo
TazTarney
#39No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 8:43am

I just got the iPhone 6 plus yesterday for a Christmas present. :)

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#40No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 9:25am

Surprised that so many seem sure he's talking about death. Into the Woods' isn't about wishing for death, it's about the fact that to live is inescapably to live with desire, that living with desire is painful ("Agony"), that no desire becomes real without consequences, and that in life desire is inescapable even when one's earlier desires are achieved.

What the Baker does think about, what he wishes for is the ability to run away from his desire-dependent and desire-consequent pain and suffering. The Witch has just been able to escape her worldly pain by distributing the beans and returning to her previous state of ugliness (resigned to exactly the state she had wanted to escape from; this time, however, unlike before, leaving "the World" to its to their own devices). The Baker, like his father before him, would like to escape his pain as well. To run away. Not to death. But to the illusion of living relief that all run aways run to.

Yes, everyone is concerned with death at this point in the show. People are dying all around them, and they could be next.

But the happy day the Baker is wishing for is not death. It is the day in which one can be content and not live in a state of deprivation and desire, i.e. a state of wishing for that which one doesn't have and that which one is convinced will relieve the pain and suffering of not having it.

Until that nirvana-like day arrives one can't ignore all the dreaded consequences (see list) that come from living in a state of desire. Which is what the entire show is about.

Which is why he wants to run away.

There is no such day. There is no such life. There is no such escape.

Updated On: 12/27/14 at 09:25 AM

Gothampc
#41No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 10:05am

I've been told it's a reference to AIDS.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#42No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 10:13am

I can't believe the (il)logic of some people as they over-interpret these lyrics.

Jesus, people, read the f*cking words and quit projecting bizarre personal agendas on them.

It's a very simple lyric with a very powerful sentiment. Don't get so tangled up in it.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

TazTarney Profile Photo
TazTarney
#43No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 10:15am

Overreact much?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#44No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 10:20am

Just following suit here with your initial dim-witted post. An appropriate response.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#45No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 1:08pm

How old is TazTarney pretending to be?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#46No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 1:14pm

He must be a pre-teen, right?

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#47No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 2:46pm

He has posts like this on other threads too - claiming some interpretation of something not that complex and then saying "well, it's my opinion, so there."

Sometimes opinions can be wrong.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

RooMcGoo Profile Photo
RooMcGoo
#48No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 9:26pm

I think its open to interpretation...on first thought I thought it was referring to death, but it could be referring to living with your children and your wives...............UGH I could think about the possibilities of each lyric for everrrrrrr.
An Incomplete History of Into the Woods

http://roomcgoo.com/

PattyO'Furniture Profile Photo
PattyO'Furniture
#49No more Giants. Waging war.
Posted: 12/27/14 at 10:13pm

What best12bars said.

To threadjack - speaking of misinterpretation of lines...

In the Witch's Rap, when she says, "Ah, well, that's another story. Never mind. Anyway...", I'd always thought she was meaning, "Whoops, I mistakenly started tell a completely different story. My mind escaped me me. I'm old and crazy, and I slipped into telling another story. Where was I?" You know, to go along with the "Snth-th-th, snth-th-th, snth-th-th" thing.

The film clearly has the witch meaning "Eh, that's too in-depth for right now. I don't feel like getting into that, so I'm skipping that part."

I'm guessing I'm the only one who misinterpreted this...?

Videos