Living on Love!

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#25Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/1/15 at 12:01pm

"This show is as lightweight as they come on Broadway. This show will be a true test to determine how much box office power Renee Fleming has."

Stew has BINGO

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#26Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/1/15 at 12:16pm

I'm seeing this Friday.

I am hearing that Fleming is not the draw the producers were hoping for. Even with the dirt-cheap ticket offer, they are comping heavily for these first performances.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#27Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/1/15 at 12:22pm

Is her not being a draw supposed to be shocking? I don't think she's been a draw at the Met the past few seasons.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#28Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/1/15 at 12:30pm

It's not at all shocking to me. But it's apparently shocking to the producers. And I'm sure it's shocking to Phillypinto.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#29Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/1/15 at 12:54pm

Her opera performances still sell extremely well. That said, there's a difference between selling out 6-10 performances total spread out over several weeks compared to 8 performances a week for 4 months.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 4/1/15 at 12:54 PM

bekk99 Profile Photo
bekk99
#30Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/1/15 at 1:17pm

Going tonight - wasn't high on my list until I saw the cheap ticket offer. I'll at least provide some quick thoughts!

frogs_fan85
#31Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/1/15 at 4:25pm

<i>Her opera performances still sell extremely well.</i>

I don't want to get too deep into this, but I respectfully disagree.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#32Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/1/15 at 4:30pm

I know absolutely nothing about this show, so I'm excited to see it tonight!

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#33Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/1/15 at 4:40pm

She is very famous, but can you blame people for not buying their tickets to a show that hasnt even started performances yet. jeez 

frogs, she has been a draw at the box office at the met. The thing is, opera isnt selling as well anymore, but if you look at The Merry Widow versus other operas that she wasnt in, yeah she brought in money!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#34Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/1/15 at 4:52pm

I think you'll find frogs knows what he's talking about.

Phillypinto
#35Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/1/15 at 4:55pm

i never disagreed with him

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#36Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/1/15 at 5:01pm

I must have misread.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#37Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/1/15 at 10:25pm

The show just got out. I thought it was "ok". Certainly not something I'll need to see again, but there were a handful of amusing moments throughout it. 

I will say that if anyone from the production is reading this - your actors DESPERATELY need microphones. Between the audience of senior citizens' non stop hacking up whatever was lodged in their throats for 2 hours and what at times seemed like whispering on stage, a lot was missed, even from the front of the mezz. 

Phillypinto
#38Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/1/15 at 10:31pm

yean first previews are usually funky. I hope they fix that

bekk99 Profile Photo
bekk99
#39Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/1/15 at 10:33pm

Didn't care much for it, but there was a lot of love in this audience. Definitely agree about sound issues, especially for Fleming's speaking. Her singing was gorgeous, but I wish her acting choices had been stronger. 

There just wasn't too much to the plot, and nothing humor-wise that gave me more than a chuckle. I enjoyed Jerry and the two butlers, for the most part. Thought Anna's wig was HEINOUS. If there are going to be that many throwing gags, let's have some target practice. Ran about 2:15, with intermission.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#40Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/2/15 at 12:11am

frogs, she has been a draw at the box office at the met. The thing is, opera isnt selling as well anymore, but if you look at The Merry Widow versus other operas that she wasnt in, yeah she brought in money!

This is not at all accurate.  First off, she hasn't been a draw for years....ANYWHERE (perhaps her Rusalka of roughly 6 years ago was the closest she's had to recent success). Her Armidas were epic failures as were her Desdimonas and subsequent Rusalkas.  Merry Widow was not the success you claim it is and any achievement it may have had was based upon it being a new production.  With that said, Netrebko in Macbeth and Kaufmann in Carmen (who ended up canceling his run) did much better business as did the bad press plaqued "Klinghoffer" this season. 

As to your second point, look at opera houses around the world.  BSO and Covent Garden sell around 80% to give two examples and the Salzburg and festival in Aix sell at near capacity. 

Once again: you don't know what you're talking about.  

Updated On: 4/2/15 at 12:11 AM

Phillypinto
#41Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/2/15 at 12:21am

LOL YOURE SO WRONG!! Did I ever say she was sellin out the place? no! I was talking about the Met. Once again, you start changing up the subject! As far as the other two operas, Jonas Kaufmann is HUGE and he's younger than Renee, and just as famous. Anna is huge too. Look at the other opera sales with names not as big as Jonas, Renee, or Anna. YES Renee is a draw thank you very much

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#42Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/2/15 at 12:29am

You're an idiot. And your ageism is obnoxious.  You know very little of what you speak, but you nevertheless post without hesitation.  

Yours is not simply the ignorance of youth.  Worse still: it's pure stupidity.  

Phillypinto
#43Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/2/15 at 12:34am

You literally have no idea what youre talking about!! All you do is blab

frogs_fan85
#44Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/2/15 at 12:36am

Play Esq., the most hilarious part about the success of the two Jonas Kauffmann Carmens was that he didn't even perform and the Met made more money on returned/exchanged ticket resales. The Netrebko Macbeth run has been far and away the success of the current Met season.  And you nailed the reason for whatever modicum of success Merry Widow achieved thus far this season- pure speculation on it being a new production.

ETA- I just remembered I saw the show tonight.  As Jordan said it was "ok".  It had some cute moments and some nice small directorial touches, but entirely predictable.  Sills is the highlight.

Updated On: 4/2/15 at 12:36 AM

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#45Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/2/15 at 12:48am

Thank you, frogs.  I was very worried that I "literally" had no idea what I was talking about.  

I trust that if anyone could verify my statements regarding the Met, it's you. 

Phillypinto
#46Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/2/15 at 12:50am

please, i know more about opera than you! 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#47Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/2/15 at 12:59am

LITERALLY PHILLY JUST GIVE IT UP. PLEASE. 

Phillypinto
#48Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/2/15 at 1:00am

lol everybody loves me on the boards

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#49Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/2/15 at 5:30am

Delusional !

Videos