pixeltracker

More security for broadway audiences?- Page 2

More security for broadway audiences?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#25Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:47am

Good Lord, were all of you raised by helicopter parents??  What you seem to be asking for is self-induced, police state-like tactics at the theater, am I getting this right?

The terrorists have truly won.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali
Updated On: 7/28/15 at 10:47 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#26Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:49am

""Yes, by all means let's turn going to the theater into an airport style screening. 
A whole lot of alarmists in this thread. "

That's not what I meant. I'm just saying that I think there should be more security. Like a metal detector and bag checks. "

oh MY god

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

FindingNamo
#27Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:52am

I'm with Rick Perry.  EVERYBODY should have guns at theaters.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#28Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:55am

""Yes, by all means let's turn going to the theater into an airport style screening. 

That's not what I meant. I'm just saying that I think there should be more security. Like a metal detector and bag checks. "

So all patrons would need to arrive at the theater over an hour early? All of this additional security you're looking to bring in would easily push ticket prices up over $200, because you really don't think producers are gonna eat these costs, do you?

What about the old lady with the knee or hip replacement? In addition to her theater tickets, she needs to remember her medical card? Does she get pulled out of line for additional screening?

Updated On: 7/28/15 at 10:55 AM

maxkko Profile Photo
maxkko
#29Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:57am

"""Yes, by all means let's turn going to the theater into an airport style screening. 

oh MY god"

Ok. Clearly you all don't agree with what I'm saying. I'm ok with that, but I would really apreciate if people on this board don't act like children. Opinions are opinions, and some people don't know how to accept others.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#30Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:15am

So disagreeing with you is childish?  It's called a discussion.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

neonlightsxo
#31Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:20am

"I think the OP is worried that Fiddler is going to incite Jewish people to hold people hostage in a theatre like in Russia"

OK cool. That's what I thought. Carry on.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#32Fiddler.. more security for audiences?

"have people been against the jews lately? why?"

Do you also say The Caths, The Prods, The Mus?  I try to avoid your posts as much as possible but this I find offensive.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

LizzieCurry
#33Fiddler.. more security for audiences?

Well, clearly we have to be protected like children.

FindingNamo
#34Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:29am

Do you also say The Caths, The Prods, The Mus?

I'm totally going to start!  But I think The Muz sounds cooler.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#35Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:30am

So we now should tell everyone adult that worrying about uncertainty 24/7 is the way to live? And not worrying is juvenile? OK. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#36Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:43am

I'll give you full credit for "The Muz" namo. Fiddler.. more security for audiences? 

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#37Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:47am

"Having police near the theater won't stop it from hapening. I would assume they would come after bad things had already happened."

Having rent-a-cops in the theater won't stop it from happening either.  They don't have ESP to know when someone is going to do something ahead of time so they can stop it from happening.  They'd just be there to respond when it does.

maxkko Profile Photo
maxkko
#38Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:51am

I'm sorry for bringing this up.`

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#39Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:54am

I think a better use of armed guards is to station them by the concession stand.

I could easily see those prices inciting acts of violence.

....but the world goes 'round

FishermanBob
#40Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:58am

"I think a better use of armed guards is to station them by the concession stand."

"All units respond.  Shots fired at the concession stand"......."Correction, just the barman opening up a new bottle of champagne...stand down".

Gothampc
#41Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 12:00pm

There are loads of police stationed all over the theater district and a substation right on 43rd and Broadway.  I'm sure each theater has a process in place to alert the NYPD if they're needed and I would think they can respond within 90 seconds to 2 minutes. 

Actually I don't think they could reach a theater in that time.  Times Square is dangerously over-crowded.  And with the construction that is going on now, it seems even worse.

I walked through there the other day, and there are more costumed characters and more women with painted on tops having their picture taken than ever before.  It's dangerously overcrowded.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

FishermanBob
#42Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 12:17pm

"Actually I don't think they could reach a theater in that time.  Times Square is dangerously over-crowded.  And with the construction that is going on now, it seems even worse."

There are cops walking through the area constantly.  It would be rare that one is not within 2-3 blocks of any theater. It's tough for you as a pedestrian to push your way thru the crowd.  They'll be able to get thru a lot quicker than you could.

Do people think that the theaters and the NYPD haven't already figured out the theater district/42nd street would be a prime target for some sort of attack by terrorists or a violent person inside a theater and don't already have a process in place to deal with it?

hork Profile Photo
hork
#43Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 12:35pm

""have people been against the jews lately? why?"
Do you also say The Caths, The Prods, The Mus?  I try to avoid your posts as much as possible but this I find offensive."

"Jews" is not an abbreviation.

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#44Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 1:10pm

Whether or not the term "Jew" is offensive often depends on subtle shades of meaning. "I know it when I see it" is, unfortunately, how it usually works. My rules are:

1) "Jews," as a plural is usually ok, although when preceded by "the," it's often better to substitute the term "Jewish people". Example: "The Jews are often worried about the survival of Israel" could be offensive. However, "Jews are often worried about the survival of Israel" or "Jewish people are often worried about the survival of Israel" are both ok, although the latter may be a bit better than the former.

2) The term "A Jew" is often offensive, but not always. Example: "He's a Jew" is usually better avoided. "He's Jewish" is better. "He's a Jewish person" is totally unnecessary, and sounds like someone is terrified of being offensive. Here's where I wouldn't find "a Jew" offensive, depending on the punchline: "A Catholic, a Protestant, and a Jew walk into a bar...." Also, to me, "Jewish" refers to religion, whereas "a Jew" refers more to ethnicity.

3) Never, EVER use "Jew" as an adjective. Example: "Jew cooking is usually heavy," should be "Jewish cooking is usually heavy."

4) If the three letters, j, e, and w appear together in other contexts, leave them alone. Example: "I'm not a fan of gold jewelry."  Fiddler.. more security for audiences?

Except for the last one, I've found myself explaining these amorphous "rules" for real, to well-intentioned people.

Audrey Liebross (who is proud to be a Jew, proud to be Jewish, proud to be a Jewish person -- whatever)

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#45Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 1:26pm

In each of these theaters there is on any given night a international gathering of 1000 to 2000 people.  Broadway is a major world wide known attraction.  There have already been gunmen hitting movie theaters.  A couple of years ago in Russia a entire theater was held captive.  I think this is a worth while discussion.   Also;  the example someone used in which they indicated they could get the president in and out of Hamilton without incident therefore they could take care of anything else is stupid.  Since that security is not in place for a normal audience.  

Updated On: 7/28/15 at 01:26 PM

LizzieCurry
#46Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 1:36pm

Nord-Ost story, since apparently no one wants to bother to link to it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis 

Were these same discussions happening after the Aurora movie theater shooting in 2012? Or are you all just wanting to whip yourselves into a paranoid frenzy?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#47Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 1:41pm

Personally, I have no desire to see additional security at theaters, movies, or anywhere else.  I have absolutely no faith that it would deter anything, and it would diminish the experience, while bumping up ticket prices due to the additional cost.  I would be far less inclined to attend shows under such conditions, and I think it would be harmful to Broadway in the long run.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#48Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 1:53pm

No paranoid frenzy.  I think it is a discussion woth having. 

"Nord-Ost story, since apparently no one wants to bother to link to it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis 
Were these same discussions happening after the Aurora movie theater shooting in 2012? Or are you all just wanting to whip yourselves into a paranoid frenzy?"

Updated On: 7/28/15 at 01:53 PM

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#49Fiddler.. more security for audiences?
Posted: 7/28/15 at 2:00pm

On the topic of security, do they normally do a cursory bag check at Hamilton? They did last night and I wondered after if it was because Biden was in attendance or if it was standard. Though if it was for Biden's sake, it was an awfully quick peek in the bag so I don't know if it would have been truly effective. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Videos