pixeltracker

Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?- Page 2

Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#25Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/26/15 at 11:45pm

JBroadway said: "TheGingerBreadMan said: "In the event of a fifth nominee: American Pyscho"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I got the impression from various sources of word-of-mouth that American Psycho was very well-received in London. I wouldn't have put it as my 5th slot based on what I've heard. 

I don't disagree, actually. The one thing holding me back is that London audiences can be fairly different from Broadway audiences sometimes, but I don't doubt that it will be well received here as well. I would actually say that Psycho and Tuck are interchangeable in my list, I could easily see Tuck taking the fifth spot. The only show that I think we can all agree on as being an absolute shoe-in is Hamilton (obviously), the rest of my list (and likely everyone else's) is just early predictions, as many of these shows haven't even opened yet. 

brdway411
#26Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/26/15 at 11:45pm

Allegiance isn't that good musically, I saw it and act 1 felt like an eternity, act 2 moved better but still felt long. George T is only on stage for maybe 20 minutes (and that is being generous). Also, I saw the ending coming a mile away. Good ideas for a show, poorly executed. I did see this early in previews and not sure how much, if anything they are and have change and will not be returning to find out either.

Updated On: 10/26/15 at 11:45 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#27Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/26/15 at 11:57pm

WiCkEdRoCkS - that unannounced musical will NOT be in the running. I can tell you that right now. 

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#28Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 12:08am

I can only state On Your Feet as of this writing. Saw it tonight and it was a blast. It really makes no difference as we all know who the ultimate winner will be.

Strange thing re the Playbill. At first, I thought the musical numbers were not listed. In leafing thru it, I found the song list in the middle of the bios. Stranger still, the songs were in alphabetical order so you had no idea which song was where. Normally you see what the last song before the intermission is so you can get ready for a mad dash to the john. It would really help at the Marquis where the bathrooms are a nice distance away from the theater itself.

Poster Emeritus

brdway411
#29Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 12:13am

Mr Roxy said: "Strange thing re the Playbill. At first, I thought the musical numbers were not listed. In leafing thru it, I found the song list in the middle of the bios. Stranger still, the songs were in alphabetical order so you had no idea which song was where. Normally you see what the last song before the intermission is so you can get ready for a mad dash to the john. It would really help at the Marquis where the bathrooms are a nice distance away from the theater itself."

Didn't Rock Of Ages do the same thing??? Don't remember, its been years since I saw it. 

As a side note, the second time I saw OYF, I don't think a song list would help, as people were coming and going at all scenes during the first and second acts. Kindda annoying. 

Updated On: 10/27/15 at 12:13 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#30Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 12:23am

By the way, the Playbill is in color. For how long, I do not know.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/27/15 at 12:23 AM

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#31Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 12:24am

ON YOUR FEET entered  the millionaire's club this week in it's 3rd week of previews. Lousy book or not, this show could be this years dark horse.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#32Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 12:28am

It has a better book than Motown but that ain't saying a whole lot.

Poster Emeritus

brdway411
#33Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 12:31am

reading the phone book is better than the book for Motown, that was just painful. 

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#34Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 12:37am

Hey MrRoxy, I haven't seen OYF yet, but have only heard dire reports on the book. How does this show compare in general to Motown? Are there really enough Estefan fans to support it long term,  versus fans of Motown?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#35Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 12:40am

The physical production is first rate. You can forget the book as everything else is so strong.

Poster Emeritus

brdway411
#36Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 12:44am

Seen OYF twice, I liked it. The book is not the best, but SO MUCH BETTER than MOTOWN. I think Motown tried to hard to be funny, OYF has some great lines. It's just a fun show. OYF's book is closer to that of Beautiful than Motown. 

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#37Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 12:45am

I've only heard great things of On Your Feet. I hope it's the next Mama Mia in terms of a long run. There isn't many latino musicals.. I can only think of In the Heights.. Most shows are all white casts.. you have to at least root for it a little....? I know I do. Can't wait for the cast recording. The main guy is so attractive, i can stair at him all day hahaha

brdway411
#38Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 12:48am

ummm, aren't you forgetting a little show called West Side Story???

Winter Garden Profile Photo
Winter Garden
#39Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 12:57am

CapnHook said: "WiCkEdRoCkS - that unannounced musical will NOT be in the running. I can tell you that right now. "

you're talking about amelie? how do you know?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#40Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 6:31am

And Hamilton has many Hispanic cast members.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

rebeccmam31
#41Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 6:43am

VernonGersch said: "Waitress is in for sure caught it at the ART over the summer and it's a wonderful, smart, crowd pleaser with a gorgeous score."

This pleases me to hear.  I intend to buy tickets for May when they become available.

Jabere
#42Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 7:06am

Hamilton makes me forget the stupid write casting of  Noises Off without any diversity

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#43Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 7:59am

Not AMELIE. 

And (if we are talking about the same show) while I agree at the moment, Capn, weirder things have happened...

You never know. 

Updated On: 10/27/15 at 07:59 AM

Winter Garden Profile Photo
Winter Garden
#44Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 1:23pm

then what show are you talking about? Gotta Dance? Bandstand? Up Here? Little Dancer? 

brdway411
#45Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/28/15 at 1:37am

I am guessing it's either Invisible Thread and or Lazarus. 

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#46Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/28/15 at 7:52am

None of the above. It should be announced relatively soon. 

c0113g3b0y
#47Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/28/15 at 9:32am

Dear Evan Hansen?

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#48Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/28/15 at 5:20pm

Dear Evan Hansen is not moving to Broadway but Second Stage in the spring 2016

http://2st.com/shows/current-production/dear-evan-hansen

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

funhamilton_rent
#49Best Musical: Who Will Take The Other 3 Slots?
Posted: 10/28/15 at 8:28pm

I'm a little late in this thread but:

1. Hamilton (obvi getting in, but I'm just putting it here because it's in 1st place in general)

2. Shuffle Along (if it isn't a revival)

3. American Psycho 

4. Waitress

That's been my top 4 for some time now, but here are some others that could come up and sneak a nod.

On Your Feet, School of Rock, Bright Star, Allegiance (maybe?) Tuck Everlasting, and Amelie (if it transfers).

Videos