pixeltracker

Bright Star's financial troubles- Page 2

Bright Star's financial troubles

mamaleh
#25Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 12:17pm

I just wonder whether the wider audience BRIGHT STAR is seeking will even be watching the Tonys to catch any performance from the show. I'm somehow doubtful that lovers of bluegrass music and tearjerker/happy reunion themes will mark their calendars to tune in.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#26Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 12:18pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Shows like SCOTTSBORO and THE VISIT are exactly why we need another broadway house similar to Circle in the Square. Those need to be done in a smaller, intimate venue like that where not only they can be experienced in the way they need to be, but where they'll stand a chance at succeeding. 

"

I agree. It would be especially nice to finally have a modular Broadway space for these kinds of shows. 

neonlightsxo
#27Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 1:12pm

mamaleh said: "I just wonder whether the wider audience BRIGHT STAR is seeking will even be watching the Tonys to catch any performance from the show. I'm somehow doubtful that lovers of bluegrass music and tearjerker/happy reunion themes will mark their calendars to tune in."

Agreed. They're being extremely optimistic, rather than realistic.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#28Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 1:34pm

I read this in another thread somewhere, can't remember which exactly but it stuck with me. The show, I think, has done a really lousy job tying itself to the bonafide legend Steve Martin. Most people outside the Broadway realm have no idea that he has written a new musical, and maybe since the show is not a comedy they felt Steve's name wasn't an adequate representation, but either way, they really should have gone in stronger with the angle that he had written a Broadway musical. 

This person likened the situation to Waitress/Sara Bareilles. It's true-- you cannot hear the show's name without it being immediately tied to Sara, and I think Bright Star really could have used that additional star power with Mr. Martin. 

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#29Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 1:37pm

I can't believe people are actually putting Tuck and Bright Star in the same category. Tuck is a children's story and Bright Star has a much more sophisticated score and characters. Perhaps some people don't understand bluegrass music or the stories of small town country people. I'm not arguing that those things will or should appeal to a Broadway audience, but you cannot simplify Bright Star to the level of Tuck. 

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

neonlightsxo
#30Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 1:40pm

I completely disagree with you backwoodsbarbie. Bright Star is in no way more sophisticated than Tuck.

backwoodsbarbie
#31Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 1:48pm

neonlightsxo said: "I completely disagree with you backwoodsbarbie. Bright Star is in no way more sophisticated than Tuck.

"

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but Bright Star has very well composed music in the context of the genre. People who didn't grow up listening to bluegrass and country music often believe it to be "hokey" and they are welcome to feel that way. I'm not arguing that this music is necessary for a Broadway show, but I believe to be a more complex score than Tuck's. 

Broadway Forever2
#32Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 1:54pm

TFMH18 said: "I read this in another thread somewhere, can't remember which exactly but it stuck with me. The show, I think, has done a really lousy job tying itself to the bonafide legend Steve Martin. Most people outside the Broadway realm have no idea that he has written a new musical, and maybe since the show is not a comedy they felt Steve's name wasn't an adequate representation, but either way, they really should have gone in stronger with the angle that he had written a Broadway musical. 

This person likened the situation to Waitress/Sara Bareilles. It's true-- you cannot hear the show's name without it being immediately tied to Sara, and I think Bright Star really could have used that additional star power with Mr. Martin. 

"

This is definitely true. I guess since it isn't a comedy they didn't think it would help that much but they should have at least pushed his name more. I didn't really know Steve Martin wrote Bright Star until a few weeks ago haha. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#33Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 1:59pm

I had a friend inquire if Bright Star was a comedy. He was just about to buy tickets because he saw Steve Martin's name attached to it and assumed it would be a laugh riot. I felt embarrassed on the show's behalf that I had to explain to him that it wasn't the case... 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#34Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 2:00pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I had a friend inquire if Bright Star was a comedy. He was just about to buy tickets because he saw Steve Martin's name attached to it and assumed it would be a laugh riot. I felt embarrassed on the show's behalf that I had to explain to him that it wasn't the case... "

Didn't they see The Pink Panther?

Broadway Forever2
#35Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 2:03pm

haterobics said: "

Didn't they see The Pink Panther?

"

I laughed

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#36Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 2:06pm

Didn't the producers of a Christmas story take out large loans?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

neonlightsxo
#37Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 2:10pm

Well composed music, sure, but lyrics?

backwoodsbarbie
#38Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 2:17pm

neonlightsxo said: "Well composed music, sure, but lyrics?

"

Again, are you familiar with bluegrass and country music? It's about average, country people. I believe it is well written in the context of the genre.

neonlightsxo
#39Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 2:18pm

I'm extremely familiar with bluegrass and country music. It's still a musical and should have intelligent lyrics.

"If you knew my story, you’d have a good story to tell” ?????

Anyway. This thread is about how they aren't making any money.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#40Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 2:26pm

"...Bright Star has very well composed music in the context of the genre."

I'm a musician and gladly confess I have no idea what such a statement even means, particularly seeing that both composers of the piece are known to not be able to read or write music (a la Mel Brooks), but rely upon an arranger to create the entire harmonic language/structure of their work.

I've been listening to bluegrass since childhood; my favorite theatre-bluegrass score is The Robber Bridegroom (the original, not so much the recent revised version). To me, Bright Star's score, although often very pretty, lacks wit, humor and character/situation specificity, things that The Robber Bridegroom achieves quite well.

Broadway Forever2
#41Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 2:28pm

Well I personally can't say anything about the lyrics. The only song I've heard in full is "the sun is going to shine again" but it doesn't appeal to me for the same reason I guess it's not really catching on with main audiences. Even the reviews weren't good enough to change my mind so I'm surprised by all the love it got at the Tony's and that it won the outer critics award. 

Updated On: 5/9/16 at 02:28 PM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#42Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 2:33pm

Any score wherein a character not suffering brain damage sings “a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do when a man’s gotta do what he’s got to" is bad enough; that the lyric is repeated is simply unbearable.

neonlightsxo
#43Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 2:35pm

newintown said: "Any score wherein a character not suffering brain damage sings “a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do when a man’s gotta do what he’s got to" is bad enough; that the lyric is repeated is simply unbearable."

Agreed 1000%.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#44Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 2:36pm

newintown said: "Any score wherein a character not suffering brain damage sings “a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do when a man’s gotta do what he’s got to" is bad enough; that the lyric is repeated is simply unbearable."

THANK. YOU.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#45Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 2:43pm

Bright Star is infinitely better than Tuck.  Not even a fair comparison.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

rebeccmam31
#46Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 2:53pm

backwoodsbarbie said: "neonlightsxo said: "Well composed music, sure, but lyrics?

"

Again, are you familiar with bluegrass and country music? It's about average, country people. I believe it is well written in the context of the genre.
"

I personally *am* familiar with bluegrass. My friend runs a state park that hosts a wonderful and well-attended Bluegrass Festival every August. I've heard some quality bands over the years. I agree with you that Bright Star's music is well crafted and quite good. As for the lyrics, I do not agree; I find them not "simple" but trite and lazy. You like it, and you're allowed to. But to imply that those who don't like it don't "understand bluegrass music" is just not accurate.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#47Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 3:28pm

Nice to see they won the Outer Critics Awards for Best Musical and Score.

Just give the world Love.

VintageSnarker
#48Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 3:30pm

"I'm guessing the producers are clinging to two things- a Tonys performance will hugely bump up sales and interest and the possibility of winning a major award, especially since they can basically say "the score/book/actress/whatever that beat Hamilton!""

I don't know how much of a boost he'll be, but I imagine seeing Steve Martin out there might get some casual theatregoers interested... though how many casual theatregoers are watching the Tony's...?

I forget if any of the songs have "spoilers" but I would guess that they might pick "If You Knew My Story," "I Can't Wait," "Sun's Gonna Shine," "I Had A Vision," or "At Long Last" to highlight Carmen but one of the best songs for a Tony performance is one she's not in... which is "Another Round."

The show has a good cast and it's a fun time that leaves you feeling good when you leave the theatre. The story is just... kind of stupid at times and they refused to fix it. And I do think there are ways to fix it.

neonlightsxo
#49Bright Star's financial troubles
Posted: 5/9/16 at 3:35pm

Totally agree re: the story being fixable but they didn't fix it. That sort of preciousness of writers with their work drives me insane. I think "Sun's Gonna Shine" is the most obvious choice for their performance.

Videos