pixeltracker

Drama League Nominations Reaction- Page 2

Drama League Nominations Reaction

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#25Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 12:19pm

But Metcalf is in a play that is arguably the weakest of her recent forays on Broadway. I think that will be an obstacle for her to win this year. If she’s overdue and can only win once, why not just wait till Virginia Woolf next season.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#26Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 12:25pm

This is good news for Milligan, Kritzer, Pope, Sykes, and De Shields. Just having their names in the mix might remind Tony nominators of their performances in crowded fields. And we might see Brightman nominated? He got in over Daunno and Baskin.

Updated On: 4/17/19 at 12:25 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#27Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 12:45pm

I’m surprised Hadestown was nominated for Best Musical again considering it got the same nomination off-Broadway in 2017.

FWIW, bummed about Urie as some of you are, he was actually nominated for the role last year when the show played off Broadway

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#28Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 12:56pm

If Urie was nominated last year, that explains the snub.

KING KONG as a Best Musical nominee is pretty laughable, even for the Drama League.

Who do we think is winning the Distinguished Performer Award? I'm thinking it's Elaine May or Jeff Daniels. Metcalf could be a contender but I don't think the play itself is going to be a big awards player.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#29Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 1:28pm

As others have noted, the Drama League allows a performance to be nominated Off-Broadway and again on Broadway. Recently, Ben Platt was nominated in 2016 for the Off-Broadway production of Dear Evan Hansen and then won the award for the Broadway transfer in 2017. This also happened with Lin-Manuel Miranda’s performance in Hamilton in 2015/2016.

Updated On: 4/17/19 at 01:28 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#30Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 1:33pm

I said this in the other thread but I’ll say it again here (yes, we already had a thread going on this topic, but c’est la vie).

I would definitely put on my money on Elaine May. Not only did she give a phenomenal, raved-about performance, but she’s also a legend returning to the stage after a long time. And in this late stage of her career, she won’t have many more opportunities to win, if any.

The only thing really standing in her way is that the show closed in January, but in this particular case I think the other factors will far outweigh that.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#31Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 1:41pm

My daughter will be sad to learn that We Are The Tigers didn't receive any nominations - if it was even eligible.

LightsOut90
#32Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 2:39pm

thrilled to see Rags Parkland Sings The Songs of The Future being recognized not just in production but also Stacey Sargents amazing performance. It should have ran alot longer to be honest....

EvanstonDad
#33Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 2:41pm

I've never really followed these awards before so this is probably my ignorance showing, but these nominations seem pretty meaningless to me. It's like if you opened this year you got nominated.

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#34Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 2:47pm

LightsOut90 said: "thrilled to see Rags Parkland Sings The Songs of The Future being recognized not just in production but also Stacey Sargents amazing performance. It should have ran alot longer to be honest...."

Seconded on all accounts! I'd love to see it pop up at another venue sometime in the future.

52889j
#35Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 3:03pm

EvanstonDad said: "I've never really followed these awards before so this is probably my ignorance showing, but these nominations seem pretty meaningless to me. It's like if you opened this year you got nominated."

When you factor in that all off-broadway productions are eligible, this isn't at all a true statement. If anything, it shows that they have massive Broadway bias.

meredithchandler73
#36Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 4:07pm

quizking101 said: "I’m surprised Hadestown was nominated for Best Musical again considering it got the same nomination off-Broadway in 2017."

It was explained that performers could be nominated for the same show off-Broadway and Broadway, but is there an explanation for Hadestown being nominated in 2017 and 2019 (not as a revival)?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#37Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 4:25pm

@meredith, I don’t know the answer to your question (btw, does anyone know where to find the rules and regulations for these awards? That would help). But if I were to wager a guess, I would say that it’s because repeat nominations for transfers ARE allowed, and the reason Hadestown and Choir Boy seem to be treated differently is potentially (a) because Choir Boy’s Off-Broadway production was longer ago, and they have some kind of cutoff date, and/or (b) the fact that Choir Boy was sort of “pulled off the shelf” if you will (I.e, they finished their Off-Broadway run with no intention of transferring, and it wasn’t until years later that they brought it back). Meanwhile Hadestown has been on a slow but steady track to Broadway over the past few years, so it’s still considered a new production.

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#38Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 4:28pm

JBroadway said: "
I would definitely put on my money on Elaine May. Not only did she give a phenomenal, raved-about performance, but she’s also a legend returning to the stage after a long time. And in this late stage of her career, she won’t have many more opportunities to win, if any."

Sounds exactly like the narrative that ended with Glenda Jackson winning last year. And they were both in "revivals" having their Broadway premieres at the Golden Theatre! :)

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

goodlead
#39Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 4:36pm

So many nominations in each category.  It's like the caucus race in Alice in Wonderland: "Every one has won, and all must have prizes."

BritCrit
#40Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 5:21pm

Fordham2015 said: "BritCrit said: "So the nominations have been announced...

If anything highlights the division between plays and musicals, it is putting all the actors and actresses from both in a single category.

The actor - musical category looks especially thin. The Prom, Oklahoma and Hadestown are being represented by their supporting casts and actresses
"

Brooks Ashmanskas is considered a leading actor for The Prom at the Tonys.
"

My mistake. However, the fact that he is nominated whilst Reeve Carney and Damon Daunno aren't indicates that both have fallen behind in the race. The Drama League may not be a reliable indicator of Best Actor or Actress contenders, but it sets the tone for the rest (It's the Golden Globes to the Tony's Oscars), and demonstrates that Carney and Daunno are being overshadowed by flashier male leads. It's likely that (for the first time since 2011) Best Actor in a Musical will not be won by the leading man in a Best Musical winning production...

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#41Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 5:30pm

Not that it matters even a little bit haha, but I would argue that the Drama Desks are closer to the equivalent of the Golden Globes. The Drama League to me is more like the SAG awards.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#42Drama League Nominations Reaction
Posted: 4/17/19 at 6:02pm

Loved Hillary and Clinton and Metcalf in it.  They will be big awards contenders.
That's beside the point.  
May should win and will.

Videos