pixeltracker

Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!- Page 2

Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#25Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/11/19 at 10:45am

Hopefully The Tina Turner Musical will bring about a change in 2020.

Have you seen it?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

massofmen
#26Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/11/19 at 11:12am

i saw this dreck. 
Mr. Baskin couldn't have been a worse storyteller on that stage. The rest of the acting was almost just as bad. 
The show itself was des going back to his Jersey Boys notes and pretty much doing the exact same thing without a second level. It was atrocious. 
The audience of mainly old white people lost their minds though. I could not understand it at all. 
Ephraim is an incredible performer in it. I would have rather paid to see a solo show of his than watch this train wreck. But hey, its making a TON of money. Good for them. 

LarryD2
#27Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/11/19 at 11:20am

The show is a bore. Morriseau's book couldn't be less involving in terms of storytelling. Some of the individual performances are good, and some of the choreography is memorable, but taken as a whole, I found it a long, dull evening.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#28Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/11/19 at 11:22am

Ain't Too Proud is lucky it got the nominations and the one award it did. It was utter dreck from start to finish.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#29Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/11/19 at 11:36am

Malinda5000 said: "Ain't Too Proud is a great musical with a great book and its a shame it only won for choreography (Although Highly deserved). Derrick Baskin and Ephraim Sykes were horribly snubbed at this years Boring Tony Awards. Musicals with a mostly all black cast almost always get a sh@&t load of nominations and go home with one or two or none. Jellys Last Jam 1992 … The Color Purple (OBC 2005) … Motown 2013.

Hadestown sucked in my opinion! I thought the show dragged on and confused me. Hopefully The Tina Turner Musical will bring about a change in 2020.
"

I think recent Best Musical revival winners Once on This Island, and The Color Purple, might contradict your argument. The former was up against stiff competition with both Carousel  and My Fair Lady, with the latter being the presumed winner. Its win was honestly one of the biggest surprises in recent history, unlike other upsets like Kinky Boots winning over Matilda, or Avenue Q winning over WickedOnce on this Island wasn't even the number 2 in the race, with My Fair Lady being the front runner and Carousel being the dark horse. The Color Purple  won against 3 great revivals of Fiddler on The Roof, She Loves Me, and Spring Awakening. Also the fact that The Gershwin's Porgy and Bess won over the 2011 revival of Follies,  when the former many consider a bastardized money grab of the original by the Gershwin estate. 

Also have you heard of this little show called Hamilton?  It won 11 Tony Awards just 3 years ago in 2016. 

Ain't To Proud's problem isn't that its a show with a mostly black cast, its that its a jukebox musical. If you were saying that its more difficult for artists of color to get their work to Broadway, and when they do its only in jukebox or highly commercial musicals that awards voters don't take seriously, I would agree. The fact that in the past 5 seasons only 5 plays that opened on Broadway were written by a person of color. Of those 5, 1 was a revival (M.Butterfly), one was the last Broadway premiere premiere of a play from August Wilson's Pittsburgh Cycle (Jitney), one was the 4th one man show from prolific stage performer John Leguizamo (Latin History for Morons), leaving only 3 new plays by artists of color in the past 5 seasons (Straight White Men, Sweat, and Choir Boy). So if you want to make that argument that artists of color aren't winning because they aren't being given the chance, I'll bite, but Ain't To Proud is not the hill I'd die on.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#30Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/11/19 at 4:10pm

"HOWEVER, y’all’s replies to the OP are rude AF, and I suspect are coming from white people who have always had the privilege of having seen your stories and people that look like you on a Broadway stage, forever.

The way y’all responded to the OP was nasty, snarky, unnecessary, and a revealing part of the problem of why diversity on Broadway is difficult."

Maybe the OP would have gotten nicer responses if the OP did not say the winner of "Best Musical" and show with over 10 nominations sucked. It is fine to say you did not like or enjoy it but to use that term on a show that is a critical hit is going to get a negative replies. Imagine if I said "Ain't Too Proud" really sucked, I can only imagine the reply you would have made to that post.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#31Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/11/19 at 4:12pm

Excellent post bdn323.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#32Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/11/19 at 9:05pm

Malinda5000 said: "Don't tell me to get over it! If you read my post and paid attention, then you would see that I wrote" in my opinion" and in my opinion I stand by what I said with no apologies. Just because you can name a few black actors who won Tony's over the years … Good For You. I said mostly all black Casts. Again, Hades town Sucked in my opinion. I did not like it. I thought it was boring and confusing with forgettable songs. Aint Too Proud in my opinon was better ... jukebox or not … You get over it"

Get over it Malinda...Ain't too Proud just ain't that good! HADESTOWN !!!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

OffOnBwayHi
#33Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/11/19 at 9:07pm

yankeefan7 said: ""HOWEVER, y’all’s replies to the OP are rude AF, and I suspect are coming from white people who have always had the privilege of having seen your stories and people that look like you on a Broadway stage, forever.

The way y’all responded to the OP was nasty, snarky, unnecessary, and a revealing part of the problem of why diversity on Broadway is difficult."

Maybe the OP would have gotten nicer responses if the OP did not say the winner of "Best Musical" and show with over 10 nominations sucked. It is fine to say you did not like or enjoy it but to use that term on a show that is a critical hit is going to get a negative replies. Imagine if I said "Ain't Too Proud" really sucked, I can only imagine the reply you would have made to that post.
"

It's her opinion about the show. She didn't try to silence/belittle anyone by saying "get over it" or throw snarky comments. If it sucks to her, it sucks.

And pretty much ALL of you have said 'Ain't Too Proud' sucked, but the OP nor I or the one other person who liked the show have replied or took it personally.

You can "imagine" all you want, but it didn't happen.

Please stop trying to justify insolent behavior.

Zion24
#34Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/11/19 at 9:17pm

Aside from expressing his/herself so poorly, the OP didnt just praise ATP, but blamed ATP's loss (after many nominations) on racism, ignoring entirely the large pile of evidence completely undermining such a notion. The OP then announced that "Hadestown sucked" (because it was too confusing...) and hoped for "change" when Tina Turner comes next season. This is at best inarticulate and more accurately nonsensical. And the reaction is the problem? 

If ATP's performance is any indication, the show is a total bore. But thats beside the point. The idea that it didnt win more awards (some of which went to... other black actors) because of race deserves all the derision and then some. 

Updated On: 6/11/19 at 09:17 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#35Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/11/19 at 9:17pm

morosco said: "I hate the use of the word "snubbed" in this context. To "snub" would meanthatthere was a conscious and concerted effort to not allow a show to receive any Tony awards. That's just crazy conspiracy thinking."

It's more surprising when people use it accurately...

As opposed to it being nominated, considered by voters, and not winning.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#36Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/11/19 at 9:27pm

JDonaghy4 said: "Aside from expressing his/herself so poorly, the OP didnt just praise ATP, but blamed ATP's loss (after many nominations) on racism, ignoring entirely the large pile of evidence completely undermining such a notion. The OP then announced that "Hadestown sucked" (because it was too confusing...) and hoped for "change" when Tina Turner comes next season. This is at best inarticulate and more accurately nonsensical. And the reaction is the problem?

If ATP's performance is any indication, the show is a total bore. But thats beside the point. The idea that it didnt win more awards (some of which went to... other black actors) because of race deserves all the derision and then some.

Hadestown sucked in my opinion! I thought the show dragged on and confused me. Hopefully The Tina Turner Musical will bring about a change in 2020.
"

LOL    ~ TINA's not changing anything but still looking forward to Adrienne Warren's star turn as TINA!

Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Zion24
#37Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/11/19 at 9:32pm

(just to clarify: the quote about Hadestown sucking and Tina Turner was the OP's quote that got stuck in mine... Hadestown was pretty good and I am perfectly open to loving Tina Turner musical on its merits....Adrienne Warren's talent is surely not in question....)

Malinda5000
#38Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/12/19 at 7:39am

I am Malinda5000.  I am not angry. I am not racist. I am a woman of a certain age who loves the Theatre.  My OP was simply my opinion. Some of YOU are angry at how I expressed myself with my Opinion and that's okay.  Snarky and rude remarks are un called for... YET... That's you all's  opinion and you all have that right.  . I now see that diversity has diversity.  I will not be told HOW I should say this or that just to NOT get snarky remarks. What one person praises may be horrible in my opinion and vice versa.  I saw the original production of Carrie and I LOVED it!   I saw Smile and I loved that too. .   Those shows were panned by critics … but that was their opinions back then.  Again I thought  HadesTown sucked. I also thought The Cher Show sucked.  I thought Motown sucked and the revival of The Color Purple sucked.   I didn't see what all the fuss about Hamilton was and I saw the OBC. Dreamgirls didn't do it for me all those years ago.  I'm not saying that the actors in these productions were not great , but the overall  shows in my opinion were not.   I have a love for Broadway  just like you all.  The first Broadway show I saw was Applause back in 1970 and That wasn't all that good but I was a huge fan of Lauren Bacall.   Over the years I developed a certain type of show that I like because most shows these days are not original to me anymore.  It seems Broadway producers are running our of ideas and so they reshape movies and tv shows and throw it all on a stage and charge an arm and a leg to go see it.  Back in my day, it used to be that the Broadway show was first then a movie version would follow.   Not anymore and so, I have a liking for the Juke box musicals nowadays.   I get to watch a show about people I grew up on.  That's  exciting to me.  So, "Ain't Too Proud IN MY OPINION was a great show TO ME! NOT TO YOU!  So my comment has nothing to do with race.  I Love to see and support all shows but I like shows with black casts a lot and I don't apologies for that.   You all will most likely have a hissy fit about this too but that's fine.  When I feel the need to post an OP in the future I will still do so.  Can't wait to see  The Tina Turner Musical...maybe they'll win some Tony's or go home empty handed but that remains to be seen.  I will ALWAYS have an opinion...The one thing in my life I can call my OWN.

ArtMan
#39Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/12/19 at 7:55am

Malinda5000, I think there are some on here that are getting your comments mixed up with the poster OffONBwdayHi, who took a more negative (MY OPINION) approach to the discussion.  I personally, based on the Tony performance would have not bought a ticket to Ain't Too Proud.  I felt like I have already seen it before and it didn't interest me.  (BTW, I have seen The Temptations perform many times in person) I agree, there are way too many movie into musical adaptations.  That is the main reason I did not make my yearly visit to NYC.  I'm just not that interested in them.  In closing, someone posted that in another thread "you had the time of your life at Summer".  They included this I would assume to be snarky.  I am NOT a woman of a certain age and I had the time of my life at Summer also.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#40Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/12/19 at 7:57am

"Some of YOU are angry at how I expressed myself with my Opinion and that's okay.  Snarky and rude remarks are un called for... YET... That's you all's  opinion and you all have that right.  . I now see that diversity has diversity.  I will not be told HOW I should say this or that just to NOT get snarky remarks. What one person praises may be horrible in my opinion and vice versa."

You can express your opinion anyway you like but when you say a show that got numerous Tony nominations and won for "Best Musical" sucked, you can expect negative replies to your statement.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#41Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/12/19 at 8:18am

"Not anymore and so, I have a liking for the Juke box musicals nowadays.   I get to watch a show about people I grew up on.  That's  exciting to me.  So, "Ain't Too Proud IN MY OPINION was a great show TO ME! NOT TO YOU!  So my comment has nothing to do with race.  I Love to see and support all shows but I like shows with black casts a lot and I don't apologies for that.   You all will most likely have a hissy fit about this too but that's fine."

Nobody on this board will have a hissy fit that you like black casts. If you have read this board for any length of time, posters quite frequently have talked about wanting more diversity on Broadway. You want opinions, I will give you mine and I hate juke box musicals. There is no original music and most of them follow the same old story line of sex, drugs and having a tough childhood. BTW - You don't need to "shout", we all get your point and it is rude.

Updated On: 6/12/19 at 08:18 AM

spicemonkey
#42Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/13/19 at 8:50am

Malinda5000 said: "I am Malinda5000. I am not angry. I am not racist. I am a woman of a certain age who loves the Theatre. My OP was simply my opinion. Some of YOU are angry at how I expressed myself with my Opinion and that's okay. Snarky and rude remarks are un called for... YET... That's you all's opinion and you all have that right. . I now see that diversity has diversity. I will not be told HOW I should say this or that just to NOT get snarky remarks. What one person praises may be horrible in my opinion and vice versa. I saw the original production of Carrie and I LOVED it! I saw Smile and I loved that too. . Those shows were panned by critics … but that was their opinions back then. Again I thought HadesTown sucked. I also thought The Cher Show sucked. I thought Motown sucked and the revival of The Color Purple sucked. I didn't see what all the fuss about Hamilton was and I saw the OBC. Dreamgirls didn't do it for me all those years ago. I'm not saying that the actors in these productions were not great , but the overall shows in my opinion were not. I have a love for Broadway just like you all. The first Broadway show I saw was Applause back in 1970 and That wasn't all that good but I was a huge fan of Lauren Bacall. Over the years I developed a certain type of show that I like because most shows these days are not original to me anymore. It seems Broadway producers are running our of ideas and so they reshape movies and tv shows and throw it all on a stage and charge an arm and a leg to go see it. Back in my day, it used to be that the Broadway show was first then a movie version would follow. Not anymore and so, I have a liking for the Juke box musicals nowadays. I get to watch a show about people I grew up on. That's exciting to me. So, "Ain't Too Proud IN MY OPINION was a great show TO ME! NOT TO YOU! So my comment has nothing to do with race. I Love to see and support all shows but I like shows with black casts a lot and I don't apologies for that. You all will most likely have a hissy fit about this too but that's fine. When I feel the need to post an OP in the future I will still do so. Can't wait to see The Tina Turner Musical...maybe they'll win some Tony's or go home empty handed but that remains to be seen. I will ALWAYS have an opinion...The one thing in my life I can call my OWN."

Yes, you can have your own opinion, so does everyone else.  If you can't stand replies that are different from your point of view, just stay quiet and do not post in the first place. Bringing race into the discussion is totally hilarious. I don't see anything relevant to that. If you can't calm down, you probably should listen to the Donna Summer Musical cast recording one more time.

Updated On: 6/13/19 at 08:50 AM

Malinda5000
#43Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/13/19 at 5:38pm

It amazes me how you all think that no one should have an opinion that you don't AGREE WITH.  I will NOT be silenced on how I VIEW things and  I will ALWAYS share MY OPINION whether it gets snarky remarks or not. I welcome them. That's what makes us different. Why can't we all have our own opinions and have a healthy debate if you all disagree.    I never said I can't stand replies that are different from my point of view...YOU said that!  I will NEVER stay quiet because of how someone else feels...especially if I am not being rude or nasty to them.  How dare you say I should stay quiet and don't post in the first place.  And Race?   I don't think you want me to go there.   I love the Broadway musical, but I enjoy seeing shows with African Americans more and I WILL NEVER apologies for that.   So you calm down and stop trying to be the Queen Of BroadwayWorld.com because you don't own this chat board so stop trying to dictate to others what to post and HOW to post...And as for The Donna Summer Musical cast recording I don't own it...and that probably pisses you off.

cryan71
#44Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/13/19 at 6:29pm

I guess ATP will just have to wallow in all that money they are making.  98 percent capacity and 1.4 million in box office.  It's got to be tough.

OffOnBwayHi
#45Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/13/19 at 9:03pm

Malinda5000 said: "It amazes me how you all think that no one should have an opinion that you don't AGREE WITH. I will NOT be silenced on how I VIEW things and I will ALWAYS share MY OPINION whether it gets snarky remarks or not. I welcome them. That's what makes us different. Why can't we all have our own opinions and have a healthy debate if you all disagree. I never said I can't stand replies that are different from my point of view...YOU said that! I will NEVER stay quiet because of how someone else feels...especially if I am not being rude or nasty to them. How dare you say I should stay quiet and don't post in the first place. And Race? I don't think you want me to go there. I love the Broadway musical, but I enjoy seeing shows with African Americans more and I WILL NEVER apologies for that. So you calm down and stop trying to be the Queen Of BroadwayWorld.com because you don't own this chat board so stop trying to dictate to others what to post and HOW to post...And as for The Donna Summer Musical cast recording I don't own it...and that probably pisses you off."

I stand with you, Malinda.

Most of the replies in this thread have been awfully insensitive and in no way understanding with what, in my opinion, you’ve been clear about from the jump. You have been bullied up and down this thread, and I’ve found it very disappointing. Looking forward to more positive threads that really demonstrate a sense of mature community amongst the board, cause ch...

Where’s the mod around here...?

spicemonkey
#46Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/14/19 at 1:05am

Malinda5000 said: "It amazes me how you all think that no one should have an opinion that you don't AGREE WITH. I will NOT be silenced on how I VIEW things and I will ALWAYS share MY OPINION whether it gets snarky remarks or not. I welcome them. That's what makes us different. Why can't we all have our own opinions and have a healthy debate if you all disagree. I never said I can't stand replies that are different from my point of view...YOU said that! I will NEVER stay quiet because of how someone else feels...especially if I am not being rude or nasty to them. How dare you say I should stay quiet and don't post in the first place. And Race? I don't think you want me to go there. I love the Broadway musical, but I enjoy seeing shows with African Americans more and I WILL NEVER apologies for that. So you calm down and stop trying to be the Queen Of BroadwayWorld.com because you don't own this chat board so stop trying to dictate to others what to post and HOW to post...And as for The Donna Summer Musical cast recording I don't own it...and that probably pisses you off."

You really think so much of yourself. Like I said , bringing race into the discussion in the first place is hilarious and groundless .

Nobody is asking YOU for apologies. Stop acting like a crying teenager and trying to get attention.

Updated On: 6/14/19 at 01:05 AM

spicemonkey
#47Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/14/19 at 1:08am

BalconyClub said: "Malinda reported in another thread that "I had the time of my life" at the Donna Summer musical."

LMAO 

broadwaysfguy
#48Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/19/19 at 10:56pm

ain’t too proud can laugh all the way to the bank and to impacting and uplifting so many people

this show will outlast, outgross, and out tour hadestown and all other shows from this season combined

after seeing it prebroadway a handful of times and loving every single performance. i saw it sunday in nyc

somehow and fantastic show had gotten even better with the cast members operating at an absolutely incredible level
(special shout out to ephram and jeremy...nice dang!!!!

what a simply amazing ride and show. and absolute crowd pleaser

getting many people to experience and enjoy your work is incredible and the ATP team can hang that and the residual checks on their mantle for many many many years to come....

broadwaysfguy
#49Ain't Too Proud ... Snubbed!
Posted: 6/19/19 at 11:04pm

holy cow
aint too proud is the fourth largest grossing musical on broadway right now behind only

hamilton 3m
lion king 2.2m
wicked 1.9m
aint too proud 1.6m

wow

Videos