Flea Market

theaterfan862 Profile Photo
theaterfan862
#25Flea Market
Posted: 9/28/21 at 2:10pm

soulmistin said: "theaterfan862 said: "It is very surprising that Wicked doesn't have a table this year! Their table is usually one of the top earners."

The list of tables here is actually incomplete, that list of tables was the one thatinitiallywas announced with more planned to come. I can almost guarantee Wicked will be there
"

Okay great! Hope they update the map soon so I can better plan. Can't believe its this Sunday already!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#26Flea Market
Posted: 9/28/21 at 4:41pm

Wick3 said: "Interesting to see they are doing the live auction in Times Sq (pedestrian plaza between 45/46 streets)

Before pandemic they normally had the live auction in Shubert alley
"

They did it at least once in the past in the pedestrian plaza. It was the only time I attended the auction. I want to say maybe 9 years ago?

Just give the world Love.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#27Flea Market
Posted: 9/30/21 at 4:40pm

I noticed for the live auction there are no opening night ticket offerings as usually these end up being big $$$ makers for Broadway Cares (I recall for Springsteen and Hello Dolly opening nights a few years ago the winning bid was in the 5 digits!) 

I'm presuming there will still be opening night for new musicals/revivals/plays. 

iluvtheatertrash
#28Flea Market
Posted: 9/30/21 at 5:06pm

I look forward to this every year, but I just can't get excited this year. The crowds will be relentless if it's only on one side of the street again, and I expect most will be unmasked because it's outside (despite the very close quarters). I plan to go early, 10am, pass through once, and leave. I want to support, but it just seems risky this year. 

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#29Flea Market
Posted: 9/30/21 at 5:11pm

The crowds will be relentless

Spittin' Fax! I hate the flea market, it's always insanely crowded, people are not polite, and I feel like Im in a crowded club. I went twice and both times I needed a very large gin martini afterwards. It's just not for me. 

But enjoy for those who love it and stay safe since you will be pressed up against strangers for the entire duration. 

iluvtheatertrash
#30Flea Market
Posted: 9/30/21 at 6:01pm

Yeah. I used to love it, but the last few times I’ve had a hard time with it and don’t stay very long. I like to check out the windowcards and scripts and then bounce. I used to make an all day affair of it but it’s just become too much for me. And I’ve a feeling this year will be the worst of that.

I don’t want to rain on it for anyone, I love what it accomplishes, but the tween Broadway fans have sadly made it a terribly un-fun event.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

bway0
#31Flea Market
Posted: 9/30/21 at 6:22pm

I’ve been twice and not by choice. Both times I had shows planned months before flea was announced and flea happened to fall on those dates. I will say that flea is more manageable after the matinees start and the streets clear out. But if you’re looking for a popular item, then that’s not the time to go.

I probably won’t go to flea again unless it falls on a day where I’m in NYC and need to kill time. But that huge blocks long vendor sale on 8th, then we can talk.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#32Flea Market
Posted: 9/30/21 at 8:37pm

Wick3 said: "I noticed for the live auction there are no opening night ticket offerings as usually these end up being big $$$ makers for Broadway Cares (I recall for Springsteen and Hello Dolly opening nights a few years ago the winning bid was in the 5 digits!)

I'm presuming there will still be opening night for new musicals/revivals/plays.
"

I'm surprised because those are usually where a huge chunk of the auction money comes from. A lot of the time they end up getting bought by companies and/or law firms as client incentives (which hey, I'm not complaining! It means more money going to an awesome cause!).

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#33Flea Market
Posted: 10/1/21 at 1:29pm

msmp said: "Wick3 said: "I noticed for the live auction there are no opening night ticket offerings as usually these end up being big $$$ makers for Broadway Cares (I recall for Springsteen and Hello Dolly opening nights a few years ago the winning bid was in the 5 digits!)

"

I'm surprised because those are usually where a huge chunk of the auction money comes from. A lot of the time they end up getting bought by companies and/or law firms as client incentives (which hey, I'm not complaining! It means more money going to an awesome cause!).
"

Makes sense! Technically all of these are donations right so it would be a tax writeoff.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#34Flea Market
Posted: 10/2/21 at 2:22pm

Yeah, I believe you can write-off anything over the value of the goods received (so in this case, the cost of the tickets and a premium for the opening night cachet). So they get the tax write-off and get to impress big clients with a unique experience. Win-win all around!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#35Flea Market
Posted: 10/3/21 at 6:11am

I saw that the Broadway Green Alliance will have Wicked merchandise at their table this year. So, I guess that answers the question on Wicked not having a table.

Honestly, with covid, I am not surprised that there aren't a ton of show tables listed this year. I know not everything is open yet, but aren't the tables usually run by people who work for the shows? With Aladdin needing to close again, I can see not wanting to risk so many people for this kind of event. I know I will be masking up.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

bway0
#36Flea Market
Posted: 10/3/21 at 6:52am

The Hadestown table in 2019 was staffed by the workers, fates, and understudies. And stage manager Cherie. I’m not sure if Eva, Reeve, Amber, Patrick, or Andre were there because they weren’t at the times I stopped by or passed by the table. I’m also wondering who will be staffing the tables. I wonder if they’ll get more volunteers from BCEFA to do the tables instead of the show’s members.

northlandfan
#37Flea Market
Posted: 10/3/21 at 6:58am

I was there as well and I did not see any of the principal actors at the table as I went back many times hoping the prices of the autographed playbills and window cards mobile would drop in price ( as they had many left!) which they unfortunately did not….
I believe the playbills were $150 and the windowcards even higher and they had quite a lot left over when I went back at 5 PM. God knows what the prices will be like this year!

thedrybandit
#38Flea Market
Posted: 10/3/21 at 9:10am

bway0 said: "The Hadestown table in 2019 was staffed by the workers, fates, and understudies. And stage manager Cherie. I’m not sure if Eva, Reeve, Amber, Patrick, or Andre were there because they weren’t at the times I stopped by or passed by the table. I’m also wondering who will be staffing the tables. I wonder if they’ll get more volunteers from BCEFA to do the tables instead of the show’s members."

Probably backstage staff more than volunteers - I know at least one or two show tables are being organized by dressers or crew this year.

musicman_bwayfan
#39Flea Market
Posted: 10/3/21 at 5:39pm

If anyone happened to get a current cast signed WAITRESS poster, I was unable to go today and would love to purchase it. PM me. Thank you.

Updated On: 10/3/21 at 05:39 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#40Flea Market
Posted: 10/3/21 at 11:59pm

It was fun! I was there, double-masked. I didn't pick up a lot (nor did I expect to), but I also was out of town most of the weekend and wasn't able to get there until about 3:45. I think I only spent a total of $15 or $20 when usually it's closer to $40 or $50. The crowds were IMO fine and mostly masked, from what I saw. (I can imagine that if denser, they would've still been a bit intimidating earlier in the day.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Videos