pixeltracker

Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......- Page 2

Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#25Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/8/23 at 9:22pm

Funny that you mentioned "Anyone Can Whistle"....  Last time we were at City Center it was for that play, but with Raul Esparza and Sutton Foster......   It was great!!   One of her favorite actors and one of my favorite actresses!

jimmycurry01
#26Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/9/23 at 8:28am

TaffyDavenport said: "I know it's semantics, but Gavin Lee is Raul's standby, not his understudy."

You are right that it is an distinction worth making, as it's even more than a matter of semantics; they are two entirely different roles in a company. A swing, understudy, and standby each have their own unique sets of expectations and contract riders.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#27Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/9/23 at 12:53pm

They mentioned in passing during the pre-show speech that they had understudies "in case of illness, which has happened tonight" or something to that effect, and since he's out again tonight, it feels like a safe bet to assume he's ill. Hope he feels better soon and is able to finish the run. Gavin was wonderful. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#28Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/9/23 at 1:36pm

City Center's A CHORUS LINE had understudies and they only had a one week run. However, Leigh Zimmerman got injured and missed the final dress and the first performance.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

JSquared2
#29Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/9/23 at 1:49pm

jimmycurry01 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "I know it's semantics, but Gavin Lee is Raul's standby, not his understudy."

You are right that it is an distinction worth making, as it's even more than a matter of semantics; they are two entirely different roles in a company. A swing, understudy, and standby each have their own unique sets of expectations and contract riders.

The major difference is that the Actors Equity Association Production Contract defines the duties and pay scales for both "swings" and "understudies".  "Standby" is not recognized by the Production Contract. It's a term created by agents and producers to add a certain level of "prestige" (albeit imaginary) in order to sweeten a deal.

rj1060
#30Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/9/23 at 2:17pm

Raul is out again tonight. Gavin Lee is going on again as Fagin.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#31Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:03pm

Hope he feels better.....

KathyNYC2
#32Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/10/23 at 8:07am

I was there Tuesday night and we had the same announcement at the start of the show that Gavin just had a few hours put in rehearsal snd here he is. There was no indication thst this was his second standby show. There were two others out as well as noted in the insert..Mrs Sowersby and one make ensemble 

I love Raoul..hope he’s ok…but it’s clearly impossible to think that Gavin was not perfect for the role  

steve.sometime
#33Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/10/23 at 6:37pm

The box office said Raul will be on tonight.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#34Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/11/23 at 8:15am

Anyone know if he was back?  Doesn't he have a Drama Desk interview as well?

steve.sometime
#35Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/11/23 at 8:16am

He was back. I saw it last night.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#36Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/11/23 at 10:23am

There's a good chunk of ensemble and swings getting taken out by COVID this run... my heart feels for them

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#37Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/11/23 at 10:50am

ken8631 said: "Anyone know if he was back? Doesn't he have a Drama Desk interview as well?"

that interview was supposed to be on Tuesday but it was cancelled. Email said he had a sinus infection

Voter
#38Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/13/23 at 6:19pm

DELETE

Updated On: 5/13/23 at 06:19 PM

BroadwayPhan
#39Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/13/23 at 8:10pm

And the 8pm show tonight has been delayed due to an unknown tech issue. It's after 8pm and the house doors haven't even opened. Matinee apparently went on ok.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#40Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/15/23 at 1:14pm

BroadwayPhan said: "And the 8pm show tonight has been delayed due to an unknown tech issue. It's after 8pm and the house doors haven't even opened. Matinee apparently went on ok."

One of the boys was practicing his flips and he fell on his arm and broke it at the curtain line. He could not be moved until the paramedics arrived. So the curtain could not be closed to open the house on time for the patrons. My buddy who works there said that the majority of the patrons were patient but a few had just returned from the January 6 riots. The cast and staff felt terrible for the boy but he handled the situation with grace and courage.

Updated On: 5/15/23 at 01:14 PM

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#41Esparza out of Oliver! on 5/7 7PM show......
Posted: 5/15/23 at 2:38pm

UWS10023 said: "My buddy who works there said that the majority of the patrons were patient but a few had just returned from the January 6 riots."

Excuse me, what?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Videos