Belting

Elphie6689 Profile Photo
Elphie6689
#25re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 9:06pm

my link?? Oh well if you are referring to me.. thanks!

"And if I'm flying solo.. at least I'm flying free..."

ponine24601
#26re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 9:52pm

i'm referring to you.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

shesings
#27re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 10:15pm

I wouldn't listen to advice given on the board. It's too far spread and who knows if the sources are reliable. Not to mention you could interpret what someone is saying totally wrong and hurt yourself if you're not under supervision. My advice - get a voice teacher. They can properly coach you and listen for any signs that you're doing things wrong that may hurt you. Its worth it.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#28re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 10:22pm

Watch your hands and arms. They are very distracting and if too overdone can become comical and very unnatural. At the end of the song you finished with a DOOOOOOOOWNUGH, try to finish the song cleanly. Polish your performance, remember sometimes being subtle with your body and powerful with your voice works also.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

searching
#29re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 10:44pm

Elphie -- WOW! You're great. I especially enjoyed the National Anthem -- not many people can pull it off so beautifully. No advice from me. I can't sing. But, I do listen well.

Roxie Profile Photo
Roxie
#30re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 10:46pm

Music Pos2, thanks for the info, i know that you know your stuff. I'm 16, going into grade 12. I definitely don't live in NYC unfortunately. I live in fredericton NB Canada. It's above maine in case you don't know. I have a great teacher but she trains me classicaly but I'm goign into MT. I'm switiching teachers this year but no one in this city teaches belting really. (it's not that huge)I just want to knwo if I'm at a major disadvantage going to audition for MT with only a slight mixed voice? And any tips?

JC14
#31re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 10:57pm

Very impressive for a 15 year old. But...STAND STILL. It's way way way too much motion, it's kinda the epitome of cheesy musical theatre. Stand and deliver, that way when you do gesture it has meaning and purpose. Too much throwing and flailing of the arms out to the side, pacing back and forth, etc. That applies to your sister too, not just you. Vocally, very impressive though.

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#32re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 11:48pm

idina so is belting. if thats no belting i dont know what is

StrStruckDreamr9 Profile Photo
StrStruckDreamr9
#33re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 12:07am

When I clicked on the link, all I got was gibberish...does anyone know why that could be?

shesings
#34re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 1:19am

I agree with MusicPos on her advice to Elphie. Theres a lot to be said for being subtle in your movements. When you have that much power in your voice its better to let it take center stage instead of distracting movements. Though I did think she actually might take off at any second! Keep up the hard work.

TheGirlinTheFrock Profile Photo
TheGirlinTheFrock
#35re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 1:36am

As stated by some of the others on this board, you do something which my sister and i like to call "the pee-pee dance." With the constant movement, it looks like the song is being rushed so that you can run off stage and go to the bathroom(as my former voice/acting teach liked to say). I would keep the arm movements to a minimun, are you actually trying to defy gravity and fly? It can get distracting at times. Let your voice be the focus. With the movements it looks unnatural and over rehearsed. Keep going to voice lessons though!! You'll be great.

Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#36re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 1:57am

To build on what TheGirlinTheFrock said, sometimes it's best not to have any movement at all. You can stand still and still convey every emotion without being presentational. You can show want and need and everything Elphie wants in the song just by staying put. It really works, but not for everything. You have such a beautiful voice!! AH!

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

SuperSchubert Profile Photo
SuperSchubert
#37re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 4:15am

Elphie6689,

I watched the “Defying Gravity” video, and while I think you and your sister are very passionate about your performance, I must be blunt. And I’m only speaking from experience in several years of voice lessons. You didn’t look very comfortable belting in the way that you did. I, frankly, wasn’t too comfortable watching/listening because I was constantly concerned about how you were going to approach the next high note, phrase, etc. You should not sing these pieces at your age. You are far too young to be attempting to belt like that. It is NOT healthy.

You had mentioned that you might get a classical teacher. That could be the best thing for you right now. Get your technique and breathing straightened out. Try singing some classical pieces, art songs, maybe even some lieder. You’re at a stage where your voice is starting to do some major maturation, and if you try to belt and be like every last American Idol contestant, you’re going to regret it later.

However, just so you know I’m not a complete critic, I did enjoy your national anthem rendition! Just think about what I’ve written here.

Best of luck to you!

-SuperSchubert Updated On: 7/29/04 at 04:15 AM

TheGirlinTheFrock Profile Photo
TheGirlinTheFrock
#38re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 4:36am

I agree, SuperSchubert. To many people want to sing their favorite songs, yet it isnt in the vocal range or their voice hasnt matured yet. Did your voice teacher choose that song for you, or was it just something you really wanted to sing?

People talk on this boards that it will so hard to find someone to replace Idina and that no one can compare to her singing these songs. Defying Gravity is definately the most challenging of her songs in the score. I dont understand how, if people who do this for a living cant "handle" the role or the song, a 15 yr old can.

Give your voice a couple years to mature and more time taking voice lessons. As you get older you will have more of an idea of what your voice can handle. Like SuperSchubert, i am just giving my opinion and am not a professional.

Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#39re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 6:12am

I agree with what has already been stated. You have an AWESOME voice.....you will go far. But, the movements are WAY too distracting. Great job though

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Roxie Profile Photo
Roxie
#40re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 10:16am

Where all these messages are great, I don't know where my original question went!

JC14
#41re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 10:21am

Get a teacher who has a firm classical background who also studies and teaches music theatre students. Study with him/her. Take everyone on this board's advice into consideration, but I wouldn't devoutly practice it as you could be doing it entirely wrong. Bottom line, no one can tell you what to do because belting can hurt your voice if done incorrectly and since no one here is actually watching you and hearing the sound you're producing, no one can give you any help. Bottom line, get a teacher who understands your goal and work with him/her.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#42re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 10:25am

Basically, what everyone else said, keep the arm movements to a minimum. I mean, don't stand like a stick, but just keep the movements to a minimum. I was listening to "My Strongest Suit" and your voice sounds mature!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Annie Get Your Rose
#43re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 11:07am

I agree with SuperShubert. Where you do have a good voice, you will probably ruin it if you keep singing like that. It sounds very forced and uncomfortable.(Not good for vocal cords) Also you must limit arm movements. It was almost like a comedy performanve. In the end you do have a good voice, but it is not pleasant to listen to you try to force yourself to hit those notes with that much power. I think you might've crossed the line into yelling. Then again your 15 and you have many years to develop your singing abilities. Good Luck:)

MegGiry Profile Photo
MegGiry
#44re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 2:50pm

I can belt and I am writing the belt version of "How Could I Ever Know" from The Secret Garden. And I'm only in high school! I'm a high belter,or some may say that I'm a low belter. I will write more songs, especially since writing songs is my hobby. I love to write songs.
"How Could I Ever Know" makes me cry!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAH!!

Meg

http://groups.msn.com/The Jerry Herman Appreciation Society

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#45re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 5:33pm

I think this girl is freaking amazing! What a talent!

MusicPos2 Profile Photo
MusicPos2
#46re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 5:47pm

Ok, first, of all, I'm a guy, and second, I hadn't responded to her recording b/c I just got the chance to listen to it, so I'm not sure how anyone is agreeing with me. I partially agree with SuperSchubert in that you need to be really careful of your voice: you are screaming a lot, which can lead to vocal nodules. Remember that what Idina does IS belting, and true belting has a mix, when it goes that high (please read my previous posts as to how that works physiologically). This song is not necessarily too hard for you, but you need to relax in it, and you need to work with a voice teacher that knows healthy belting.

Roxie:
Choose something that would show off your classical technique for your audition: like some Rogers and Hammerstein, and you can learn to belt in college. You can check out the NATS site to see if there's a teacher around you that does musical theatre, but if there isn't, you're best off just waiting. Colleges, generally are looking for potential, and they would love to have someone like Kristin Chenoweth come in, so they can train them to do everything. So, while you might not be the next Kristin, let them think you are. The only other suggestion I have for you is to take lessons maybe once a month in NYC or something like that. PM me if you have any other questions.

ponine24601
#47re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 5:51pm

thanks for the advice, even though i'm not who you were directing it towards.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon
Updated On: 7/27/04 at 05:51 PM

MusicPos2 Profile Photo
MusicPos2
#48re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 6:01pm

I put it on here for anyone to read, if I didn't want you to benefit from what I had to say, I would've PMed Roxie. Vocal health is something I take very seriously, and while this might be tooting my own horn, it's what I'm really good at, and so when I think there could be an issue, you'll always see a post from me. So many people have voice ideas wrong, such as not understanding what belting is or thinking that belting is not safe, and these are the people teaching singers. You need to be really careful who you listen to, and sometimes, even then you get someone that doesn't know what they're doing.

sprokspork101
#49re: Belting
Posted: 7/27/04 at 6:09pm

you sound very knowledgable (spl) in the subject. looking for any more students? (ponine24601) sorry. i forgot that this was my cuz's name. she's right here, so yeah. Updated On: 7/27/04 at 06:09 PM

Videos