Annie Debate

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#25re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:34pm

Actually, I don't like any of the above as much as I like the studio cast recording with Kim Criswell, Ruthie Henshall and Ron Raines.

here it is:
http://www.footlight.com/product.cfm?product_id=1891

Millie42 Profile Photo
Millie42
#26re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:38pm

Victor Garber has always held a special place in my heart.
And Audra McDonald... just cannot be topped. And the girl that played Annie has an incredibly strong voice.

"My friends have made the story of my life." -Helen Keller

broadwayguy2
#27re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/3/04 at 11:21am

i saw the revival with Joanna, and she was GREAT. That little girl that replaced her was HORRID!

Fair 2 Middlin Profile Photo
Fair 2 Middlin
#28re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/3/04 at 11:48am

"Dumb dog, why are you following me?"
"I ain't got a crumb dog..."
I forget the rest.

What an AWFUL addition.

Thank you so much Fair. You are such a "Bewitching" HUSSY! -(DAME 12/2)

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#29re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/3/04 at 11:54am

Alicia Morton sounded like a cat slowly being run over by a moped!! And she was...how shall I put this? Charm-free.

Maybe I just like young girls with freakishly adult voices...which is why Andrea McArdle will ALWAYS be Annie to me.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#30re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/3/04 at 11:59am

Andrea, hands down. She was touted as the lil girl with a voice like Merman back then. No mic'ing, and to belt out Tomorrow like she did every night - simply amazing. And that song, despite it's familiarity, is not an easy one to pull off like she did...

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#31re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/3/04 at 12:15pm

I would have to say that Andrea will always be my Annie. She was just incredible. Also, I would have to go with the OBC Recording as well - I think it is the only recording that truly captured the feeling of what Annie should be. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
The Balladeer

P.S. I was just cast as the Beadle in Sweeney Todd! Whooo-Hoooo!

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

touchmeinthemorning
#32re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/3/04 at 12:54pm

Yes...the Ruthie studio cast is pretty amazing. I agree, though, that anything with Audra is amazing.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#33re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/3/04 at 1:50pm

No recording has duplicated the energy and brilliance of the OBC. The studio recording with Ruthie Henshall and Kim Criswell is by far the worst of the lot. Hard Knock Life is at such a slow tempo, it sounds like a funeral dirge and the girls can't reach the top notes and sing them in an almost whispered head voice. It's horrendous. The London cast recording is quite good, though.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

GretchaSketh
#34re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/3/04 at 4:34pm

Yes Yankeefan, there was a lawsuit. Joanna Pacitti (sp?) was originally given the role of annie for the revival. She went on tour and was supposed to continue with the show when it went to broadway (like the rest of the cast). But she was fired. She got sick a few weeks before and they used that as an excuse to fire her. They said she just never came together in the role. Which to me is a load of bull. They instead hired Britney Kissinger who was playing an orphan at the time. To me Joanna just had more of annie in her than Britney. Anyway, there was a lawsuit cause the family said that no reasons were given for her being fired. They also said that she won the "contest." They basically had a contest to find the next annie supported by Macy's. Andrea did not go to opening night cause she didn't think it was right that Joanna was replaced. Which is funny considering she took the place of the original Annie (before it hit broaday). But Andrea was much better than the original orginal:) Sorry, I'm totally rambling. Hope that helps:)

What is your dream role?
My dream role would be to be myself. To be performing at the Hollywood Bowl and to have an audience there just to see me, as Stephanie. They are there because they like what I do as a singer, an artist and a person (the last being the most important). I enjoy escaping and portraying other characters, but to be accepted and wanted as yourself... that's amazing! --Stephanie J. Block Just one of the many reasons I admire and respect Stephanie!!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#35re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/3/04 at 7:54pm

Andrea rules. Her technique and voice were freakishly perfect and beautiful for a 13 year old. That voice is what introduced me to Broadway and inspired me to learn, sing and enjoy showtunes and musicals. There's never been another even close.

By the way, for you Struthers fans, I think she is just genius in everything she does. And I had the great fortune to meet her - open, generous, funny, loving and sweet. One of the best. One of the greats.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#36re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/3/04 at 8:06pm

i love me some gloria stivic

xluckystar2107x Profile Photo
xluckystar2107x
#37re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/3/04 at 8:52pm

ANNIE (Disney tv soundtrack)- good. however, if carol played mrs. hannigan on THIS recording rather than the original movie one it would have been evern better

VIETgrlTerifa
#38re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/3/04 at 11:22pm

I'm not too sure about Carol Burnette as Mrs. Hannigan. I prefer Mrs. Hannigan to be sober.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

MargoChanning
#39re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/4/04 at 4:21am

38 posts about "Annie" and almost no mention of the legendary Dorothy Loudon who won the Tony (and every other award) for her brilliant, definitive performance and will forever OWN the role of Miss Hannigan???? Huh? What is wrong with you people? You should all be ashamed.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 9/4/04 at 04:21 AM

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#40re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/4/04 at 4:36am

What about Annie Warbucks? Although it's out of print now.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#41re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/4/04 at 10:08am

Sorry Margo - I saw red over the Andrea/Alicia debate, so that is what I responded to. You are absolutely right. Dorothy Loudon was spectacular.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#42re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/4/04 at 11:11am

Margo, i was reading post after poast after post just waiting for Dorothy Loudon's name to pop up.

I feel her Miss Hannigan was FAR superior to Carol Burnett's. And Carol Burnett was spectacular. But Dorothy Loudon was just THAT great of a performer. It is a shame she had some hard breaks in her career and played very few memorable roles. (Fig Leaves Are Falling, anyone?)

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#43re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/4/04 at 4:53pm

that's normally what happens, the movie version eclipses the original stage version because the movie is more accessible. in the process people forget who originated the role or have no idea unless they happen to own a copy of the original cast recording. based on the OBC CD alone i would say dorothy loudon was a great miss hannigan, but i wasn't fortunate enough to see the original broadway production.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#44re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/4/04 at 4:55pm

On BROADWAY's LOST TREASURES there is some of her brillaince captured.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

shesings
#45re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/4/04 at 4:56pm

the annie scenes were some of my favs on Broadways Lost Treasure - reason enough for me to buy it!

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#46re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/4/04 at 5:17pm

much too short display of brilliance though Priest.

I was not quite born in 77 when Annie opened, but would have loved to have seen it. It's a wonderful show with timeless music. This was discussed slighty on the OT board a month ago, and i am still shocked that people enjoyed the Disney movie. I think it is maybe one of the most wretched movie musicals ever. Disney completed butchered Miss Hannigan's character, the PC orphans, and there wasn't any shred of acting by any characters in that movie - which is very depressing considering the talent that had been assembled. The original movie is completely unapologetic. Beautifully performed, choreographed, and directed. Albert Finney was a remarkable Warbucks - sincere and endearing. Burnett is in a world of her own - simply stated. And yes Tim Curry and Bernadette Peters were much better than Mr. Cumming and Betty Boop...all right..dinner time :)

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

VIETgrlTerifa
#47re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/4/04 at 5:22pm

I couldn't stand the original movie version. I think it had good aspects, and John Houston had some good ideas, but I just think they butchered it too much. I don't like how Carol played Mrs. Hannigan drunk the whole time and she had too many orphans (although it made Hard Knock Life look great). Albert Finney was ok, but his voice really annoyed me, and how can you have Annie without Annie singing "Tomorrow" during the movie the way it should be sung? I think the submissive, full of sexual tension Grace that Reinking portrayed was annoying. I really think Aileen Quinn's Annie was too obnoxious and tough. Yeah Annie is strong, but she's still a little girl and she's not perfect.
Don't get me started on the overblown ending.

The Disney version is better, IMO, but I wish it wasn't so fast-paced so that the characters could have some development.
It would have helped if Disney put more money in the budget. I still think the Disney version has a killer "Easy Street".

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."
Updated On: 9/4/04 at 05:22 PM

CATSNYrevival
#48re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/4/04 at 5:33pm

The only reason I don't like the Disney version is because they cut songs... I began watching it with the impression that they were trying to capture the stage version and show what Annie is supposed to be like compared to the original movie version ... once the songs started disappearing I lost interest. I loved the Disney Music Man though. Very nice...

CATSNYrevival
#49re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/4/04 at 5:33pm

The only reason I adore the studio CD compared to some of the others is because it has some scene change music, the act one finale, some dialoge here and there, the entr'acte, the bow music, the exit music... etc. etc. Sometimes those things come first for me over tempo or little girls trying to hit those high notes. Just a personal preference. Updated On: 9/4/04 at 05:33 PM

Videos