THE WIZ

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#25re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 2:49pm

I'd love to see Fantasia from American Idol as Dorothy. It would sure sell tickets!

broadwayguy2
#26re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 2:55pm

danelle wilson would be a good Dorothy.

jen Holliday as evilenne

musicaltheatreman
#27re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 3:07pm

dorthy - anika rose
scarcrow - cory renyolds(sp)
tin man - daruess de hass(sp)
lion - norm lewis
the wiz - billy porter
eviline - lillias white
glinda - audra mcdonald
adapearl - brenda braxton

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#28re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 3:12pm

ok thank you someone put Audra in a role! I didnt want to show myself yet again as an Audra-holic.

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#29re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 5:00pm

heather headley would be perfect for dorthy!!

Rentaholic2
#30re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 5:29pm

I don't know if she's an actress, but I think Kimberly Locke (AI season 2) would be an awesome Dorothy. She definately has the pipes. Not to say that any and every American Idol finalist should come to Bway.

I didn't realize that they weren't gonna have an all African-American cast.

bwguyhottie
#31re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 7:26pm

natalie venetia belcon.

enough said.

#32re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 8:09pm

Ehh. I don tthink fantasia would be good. her voice is more..macy grey type. I think kristin woudl be cute, but she might want something different after just comming of glinda a while ago. Id liek to see someone that no would would expect, not sure who id pick yet..but im thinking about it..ill letcha know haha!

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#33re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/17/04 at 8:20pm

Jennifer Holliday(sp?) would be perfect for evelenne(once again sp?)

I have a feeling they are gonna try and modernize the music a bit though so don't be surprised to see some rap or hip hop stuff and if thats the case, or even if it isnt, I think Mos Def should be considered somewhere. I think if you put him and Corey from Hairspray in the cast it wouldn't matter who played Scarecrow and who played Tin Man. Both would be fine in either role. And yes Norm Lewis would be a great Lion. But MOS DEF needs to be cast!!

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

broadwayguy2
#34re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/18/04 at 11:53am

yes, they said the show will be updated a bit since the original material is very dated (think rocky horror -- original and revival)

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#35re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/18/04 at 12:40pm

It's intersting how a year ago...if people would have mentioned Anika for Dorothy people owuld have saud.."who??".

Let us not forget that there are and were many talented African American musical theater actresses who came before Anika.

We don't need to just hand out roles to the flavor of the month.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

MaTakeALookAtMe Profile Photo
MaTakeALookAtMe
#36re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/18/04 at 1:17pm

C'mon. Anika IS the greatest African American woman newbie, so she'd be a perfect choice. Especially considering that the other suggestions on here are our favorite American Idol contestants!Why didn't anybody say Tamyra Gray, we know she she can sing and act, didn't you see Boston Public?

pab Profile Photo
pab
#37re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/18/04 at 2:58pm

Fantasia? Come on guys. Next you will be suggesting Diana Ross. Fantasia is too old for Dorothy. Let's get real.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#38re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/18/04 at 3:29pm

Brenda Braxton would be great! She is an excellent singer. Her voice is sometimes considered supieor to her dancing.

broadwayguy2
#39re: THE WIZ
Posted: 9/18/04 at 3:35pm

LOVE Brenda Braxton!

I have been LOVING Anika since her days in Footloose and I mentioned her as Dorothy LONG before caroline or change.

Videos