News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Musical Theatre Crimes

NoDayButToday2 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday2
#25re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/20/04 at 12:34am

what? Anthony is leaving the tour? Does he have another job offer or something?

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#26re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/20/04 at 12:43am

There was a thread or something a couple of weeks ago about that. He said that he may not renew the contract in Dec.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

shesings
#27re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/20/04 at 1:07am

oh.... i was hoping these were going to be actual crimes that i could solve. i was totally looking foward to Nancy Drew Goes to Broadway. hey ... that might actually be a good musical....

andyf
#28re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/20/04 at 1:28am

LSOH closing?? did anyone SEE the show?

regardless, the bigger crime was casting kerry butler.

terrible.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

VivaBohemia Profile Photo
VivaBohemia
#29re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/20/04 at 1:37am

Damn it! I hope Anthony renews his contract. Its coming near me in March and I was looking forward to finally seeing Anthony Rapp Live.

*Krissy* **Support the use of illegal wood burning stoves. Get your own metal trash can today!**

badkarma719 Profile Photo
badkarma719
#30re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/20/04 at 1:44am

B-way shows being turned into movie musicals
they totaly ruin it for me

In the words of the great MargoChanning "Broadwayworld.com -- Your One Stop on the Internet for All Things Broadway, Nasty Political Discussions, Meltdowns, Name-Calling and General Nonsense along with being a Premiere Pick-up Joint for Hotties, Shut-ins, Rambunctuous Teenagers With Bad Grammar, and All Manner of Bitter, Jaded Theatre Queens with WAY Too Much Time on Their Hands"?

midnghtdolphin Profile Photo
midnghtdolphin
#31re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/20/04 at 2:14am

i kind of like the movie musicals... as long as they're done well. how else would us youngins get to see south pacific or camelot or my fair lady or cinderella or the sound of music or west side story or fiddler on the roof of a chorus line... the list goes on.

staticradar Profile Photo
staticradar
#32re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/20/04 at 2:28am

I second the Anthony being cast on TOUR while Joey was on BROADWAY, that Irked me, but I guess it was for the best since the show closed...but Anthony is a million times more talented then Joey

and I e-mailed Anthony a few weeks ago and he said that his contract is up in December and after that he's not sure...so there's hope! At least I'm hoping haha...

If not i do hope Anthony gets some good offers, hopefully on Broadway, maybe around March when I go back up to NYC...

You're always sorry, You're always grateful, You hold her, thinking: "I'm not alone." You're still alone.
-"Sorry-Grateful" Company

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#33re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/20/04 at 2:31am

~ SOUTH PACIFIC not receiving a Broadway revival after over 50 years since the original production.

~ Patti LuPone and George Hearn not getting to do SWEENEY TODD on Broadway.

~ The CABARET revival not being filmed prior to closing.

~ The CATS DVD being raped and slaughtered by having omitted over 30 minutes of material for a "filmed for posterity" video version.

badkarma719 Profile Photo
badkarma719
#34re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/20/04 at 4:09am

i kind of like the movie musicals... as long as they're done well. how else would us youngins get to see south pacific or camelot or my fair lady or cinderella or the sound of music or west side story or fiddler on the roof of a chorus line... the list goes on

South pacific- it was ok but there was a whole lot that bothed me

Camelot- never seen the whole thing, I watched part of it in a class though and all I remember is white, white snow, white costumes, white horses

My fair lady- the set and costumes were a wow but I wasnt impressed my anything else

Cindella- the new one- OMG its a wow I love it

Chorus line- killed the show for me I dont know y, there was a thread about it a while back that said something about it

Fiddler- I made the mistake of useing it as a musical study for my middle schoolers once and not only did they hate it but I refuse to ever watch it again

Caberet- where did the music go, some of my fav songs from the show were not there

Annie- great dancing- however now everytheatre in the world wants their production to look like them( I know I just did it last spring)

Chicago- this is one that is a little different, I have done the show before and well although there are songs missing I feel is still moves well but I miss the songs still

Jesus Christ Superstar- the sining and sound ruined the movie for me

Grease- good but needs some of the FUN out of the show in it(ie the language and sexual stuff)

and I sould go on and on
but I think I have and would annoy people

ATTENTION
this is just my opinion
do not start anything over this because of it
everyone is entitled to it
just like the people from "wkd"
they have thier opinion we have ours

In the words of the great MargoChanning "Broadwayworld.com -- Your One Stop on the Internet for All Things Broadway, Nasty Political Discussions, Meltdowns, Name-Calling and General Nonsense along with being a Premiere Pick-up Joint for Hotties, Shut-ins, Rambunctuous Teenagers With Bad Grammar, and All Manner of Bitter, Jaded Theatre Queens with WAY Too Much Time on Their Hands"?

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#35re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/20/04 at 10:36am

I'd have to say...

~that there is no type of Best Ensemble Tony award (not like a 'best chorus' award, but rather 'best cast working amazingly together and that being a huge part of the show's success' award) because I really think that shows with an incredible group of people who work well together to give a show that 'oomph' should be recognized and that the ensemble work/aspect of theatre is too overlooked.

~I concur that standby's, understudies, etc. do not get enough recognition - they should be eligible for nominations

~no Stage Manager awards (living with many of them in college, I saw how integral they were - they can pretty much or break a show IMO)

~that pop stars are being hired foremost as a means of publicity rather than more talented people who are names only familiar to the theatre world.

~I also concur with Hunter Foster not getting nominated for Urinetown and for Urinetown not winning best musical, and then Avenue Q beating Wicked this year - I think both situations should have been teh other way around. (I know, I just asked for a lot of trouble, but seeing all of them, it's just my opinion)

...that's all I can think of at the moment! :)

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?

andyf
#36re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/20/04 at 10:58am

for everybody who says "little shop closing on broadway"

im still with matt_g. did any of you see the production? calling it mediocre is almost a compliment.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

megannn33
#37re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/20/04 at 11:41am

Understudies, standbys, swings, chorus members and anyone behind the scenes never getting enough credit for a production.

I agree with Adoannie925. I was printing out Wicked pictures to put in my locker and I felt bad that the ensemble wasn't recognized so I put some of their pictures in my locker too =] lol. I definitely think they should get more credit. Without them the musicals would be nothing.

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#38re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/20/04 at 1:26pm

Yeah I know I'll get a lot of flack for this, but I don't care. I know everyone here hates Wicked and blah blah blah. But when I was watching the Tony Awards this year and Avenue Q won, I cant lie and say I was happy. This made me incredibly sad because that was Urinetown's win. Wicked should have won the Tony--and now, 2 years later, the board is going to give the Tony to the underdog, when clearly the other show deserved it more? Its all poilitcs, and I hate politics.

I really hate the Tony voters...

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#39re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/20/04 at 1:35pm

That criminal Raul Esparza stole my heart during Tick Tick...Boom three years ago. If he keeps it, i'm gonna handcuff him (to my bedpost.)

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston

#40re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:36pm

Directors. You know who you are.

#41re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:41pm

oh yes!!! a tony award for best lead understudy! its brilliant i say!!! BRILLIANT!

NoDayButToday2
#42re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:43pm

yea there should be tony's for understudy's swings and ensemble members... they deserve some recognition too!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#43re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:43pm

While you're praising understudies and ensemble members, please don't forget the assistants to the producers, general managers, and press agents, who work much longer hours and make much less dough than those understudies and ensemble members.

And, Tovah Feldshuh not having a Tony on her mantel.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#44re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:44pm

Oh wow, ok:
-TABOO not winning anything
-Raul not winning anything
-Normal Heart closing before I got to see it
-TABOO closing before I got to see it
-Mel not wearing the blue Mimi pants (purple? wtf is up with that??)
-pop stars invading Broadway
-MILLIE winning over URINETOWN
-JCS not winning any Tonys
-Schwartz not winning for PIPPIN
-Aida not getting nominated for best musical-- what is wrong with these people?
-Adam not getting a nod for Radames.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

NoDayButToday2
#45re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:47pm

While you're praising understudies and ensemble members, please don't forget the assistants to the producers, general managers, and press agents, who work much longer hours and make much less dough than those understudies and ensemble members.

I know they work hard! Dont get me wrong... I just didnt think the general public would go for those being Tony categories...

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#46re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:50pm

The best musical that opened this year didn't win Best Musical.

Caroline, or Change.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#47re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:57pm

I didn't realize these were only Tony categories...

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

NoDayButToday2
#48re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/21/04 at 10:00pm

Oh they arent just Tony categories, but thats what i specifically was talking about... whatever it doesnt matter I just wanted to clarify that I do appreciate the assistants to the producers, general managers, and press agents too re: Musical Theatre Crimes

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#49re: Musical Theatre Crimes
Posted: 9/21/04 at 10:08pm

Sunday In the Park With George losing best score to La Cage.
Merrily We Roll Along not being a hit.
Stephen Schwartz has yet to win a Tony.
Children Of Eden not coming to Broadway.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Videos