pixeltracker

Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?- Page 2

Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?

rmposey Profile Photo
rmposey
#25re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 10/21/04 at 10:13am

I completely agree with my sister, wickedwitchofthechest! I've spent many a fun filled hour watching the video and laughing myself silly. In fact we don't tape over it just because sometimes we need to watch it to boost our own egos. It's really quite painfully funny. "Oh, make the pain go away!"

I should have eaten the saw and used the cake to bludgeon my way out - Alfred Hitchcock

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#26re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 10/21/04 at 1:27pm

The Germans

I found it totally amusing that he merited a laugh line in "I Am My Own Wife"

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#28re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 10:17am

Not a fan of the Hass, but, after seeing the show on Broadway with Robert, and seeing Dave on tv - it's not Dave who is bad. It's the show - the direction - the character. They are directed to be extremely overdramatic, and it really doesn't work - especially the transformation scene.
There is a reason why it took ten years for J&H to make it to b'way - just as there is a reason they had to get Hass, Bach, and Wagner to play those roles...the reason is...the SHOW sucked!

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

iluvtheatertrash
#29re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 10:22am

I miss him. He was good for a laugh or two.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#30re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 10:39am

I'll admit owning the dvd, but never watching it.

I went with my parents to see it when he was 'starring', but thankfully he was out and we saw Robert Evan instead.

My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland

LittleBitRacist Profile Photo
LittleBitRacist
#31re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 10:57am

I saw all of the Jekyll/Hydes other than Bob Cuccioli (sp?) and the understudies and Hasselhoff was pretty much laughably bad. They should have documented it like a year earlier, with Sebastian Bach! (and brad oscar, but thats just me)

Quasi
#32re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 11:58am

He isn't big in Germany for over 15 years. So it was a mistake from the Germans, I apologize for that. re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?

wicked1
#33re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 11:59am

I'm so glad I never saw him in Jekyll and Hyde. I'm not a fan of him AT ALL!!

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#34re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 12:04pm

How anyone on stage with him kept a straight face is beyond me.

RumTumTugger Profile Photo
RumTumTugger
#35re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 12:26pm

I had the unfortunate displeasure of watching Hasselhoff perform Jekyll and Hyde in High Definition.

And just in case you wondering, the HD did not improve the performance.

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#36re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 12:52pm

So you have time to think about missing DH instead of reading your sides for your call back? (see other post)

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

ElphieZ
#37re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 12:55pm

Oh GOODNESS NO I don't miss him. Personally, I think it ruined the show's great image. They should have done the DVD with Christiane Noll, Linda Eder, and Robert Cuccioli, for sure. Of course, they probably wouldn't have had the support to even film it with no international names, but still, the original cast was what made a so-so musical amazing.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#38re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 12:57pm

David Hasslehoff put money into making the recording - Otherwise it would have never been made...Darn that Hasslehoff!

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#39re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 1:05pm

This is a joke right?

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#40re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 1:06pm

Nope.

LittleBitRacist Profile Photo
LittleBitRacist
#41re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 3:19pm

Elphiez, i know Hasselhoff is awful but whats wrong with Coleen Sexton and whoever plays Emma on the DVD? Emma is great, and Coleen definitely gave an amazing performance (much better acting than linda, and has an amazing voice). I'm glad its different than the obc, because if i wanted to hear linda or christianne i could just listen to the ocr. Especially since Coleen is so much better.

musicgal04 Profile Photo
musicgal04
#42re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 3:32pm

I just watched the DVD a few nights ago and I didn't really know how to respond. I saw the show with Cuccioli, Christiane Noll and Linda's understudy when I was twelve. At the time I loved it, after watching it, I just feel like it was a cheesy show. The story has potential to be so intense (even if the book lacks the love interests), but it just felt cheesy. Andrea Rivette(Emma) and Collen Sexton(Lucy) were good, and made it bearable, but Hasselhoff ruined any nice moment. He was just BAD. I also am not fan of the ensemble dancing behind a scrim during many numbers. It was distracting.

ElphieZ
#43re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 3:38pm

LittleBit - The two leads who played with Hasselhoff were not bad, they both had good voices, but they were young. Wasn't one of them only 21? And lets face it, half of those songs were written for Linda Eder, so hearing her perform them to the utmost max was just amazing. Its hard for any performer to match her--especially when she's been singing those songs for over 10 years! I've never heard a better version of In His Eyes as Noll/Eder.

In any case, nothing against Rivette and Sexton, but I just preferred the other two. Yes it was a cheesy show, but I just saw it for Eder/Noll/Cuccioli because I loved all the voices!

grownupgroupie Profile Photo
grownupgroupie
#44re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 3:41pm

Mr. T, I believe Rath's comments on this thread were from October, so I doubt they got in the way of preparing for the callback re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#45re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 3:53pm

"I've never heard a better version of In His Eyes as Noll/Eder. "

Amen to that. I saw the show in previews, April 1997. "In His Eyes" stopped the show. Literally. Not before or after have I experienced that kind of audience reaction-a standing ovation mid-performance.

nztheatreluva Profile Photo
nztheatreluva
#46re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 6:09pm

I love that version of In His Eyes. And I will confess to owning the video and watching it too, it's just so damn hysterical. Does anyone else think that when he's transforming though he looks like he has a carrot stuck up his ass? And that his confontation is possibly the most agonising(and hysterical) thing in the world?

J'ai compris tous les mots, j'ai bien compris, merci.............

#47re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 7:14pm

I miss Coleen(i'm SORRY if i spelt it wrong) Sexton as Lucy! She was great on the DVD version... i'd love to see her live.

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#48re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 7:23pm

RumTum, lol.

Broadwaybaby87, I just saw Coleen in Chicago. Her little bit in Cell Block Tango was marvolous. Wish I could have seen her in J&H.

You have to give Hasslehoff some credit. I mean, I've laugh so hard while watching J&H in my life. It takes someone REALLY bad to do that.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#49re: Who misses Hasselhoff as Jekyll and Hyde?
Posted: 1/21/05 at 8:08pm

Imagine him as Dracula

Poster Emeritus

Videos