Putting it Together

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#25re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 10:15am

I love the arrangement of "Back in Business" as sung by the Julie Andrews cast. Very jolly!

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#26re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 10:19am

Yes! - and where is Rachel York's version of that song from Assisins about the gun? (I'm flu-ish right now so can't remember the name of the song!)

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

ConvinceMe2 Profile Photo
ConvinceMe2
#27re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 10:50am

I only saw the MTC production. While I could take or leave the piece as a whole, the cast was superb, and Julie Andrews owned that audience. She was whatever is beyond radiant. One of the biggest thrills I've ever had at the theater.

ConvinceMe2 is dead. Long live BrendanStryker!

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#28re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 10:56am

Saw both the MTC and the Broadway productions. MTC was better, in my opinion. Julie Andrews was terrific, and Rachel York was simply phenomenal. The Broadway company was also great, with Burnett, Hearn, and Henshall all doing great work.

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#29re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 11:08am

redhotinnyc- you're thinking about the "Gun Song" it's on the second CD. It's two songs before "the miller's Son." Speaking of which, I liked the orignal better, mostly because of Rachel York's performance. I love her rendition of "Lovely" especially when she does the coloratura-type part. Her whole performance is so funny and cute. I also like Julie Andrews, although I must admit, it took some getting used to. Ont he whole, I love Putting it Together!

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~
Updated On: 4/13/05 at 11:08 AM

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#30re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 12:12pm

hmmm that's kinda funny. between PUTTING IT TOGETHER and ELEGIES, it would appear that John Barrowman is turning out to be England's American answer to America's American Michael Rupert. I'd never noticed they were so close in type before. I think Barrowman should do CITY OF ANGELS then FALSETTOS, and Rupert should do SUNSET BLVD opposite maybe Barbara Cook or Stritch.

to keep it somewhat on topic, Bronson Pinchot was atrocious.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

Plum
#31re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 1:44pm

I rather like my recording of Putting it Together, but I don't bother to think of it as a book show- to me, it's just another Sondheim revue, and I'm fine with that. Julie Andrews and Rachel York are sensational and totally outshine the men. (Though I might be prejudiced by the fact that I bought the CD the day after I saw Dessa Rose, and Julie Andrews is, well...Julie Andrews.)
Updated On: 4/13/05 at 01:44 PM

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#32re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 1:53pm

Convinceme2 - I loved Julie in that show - and being just a few feet away from one of my idols was a real thrill - it prompted me to write to her and she wrote back - a letter I will always cherish. Rachel's coluratura part of Lovely is so much better than Ruthie Henshal's - I just love Rachel's voice in general, and her acting is quite good also.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

hannahshule
#33re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 5:40pm

her acting's incredible!

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#34re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 6:42pm

Just to add in my Opinion, I prefer Rachel York's performance to Ruthie Henshall. (The Miller's Son and Lovely are two of the greater songs...not to mention Every Day a Little Death) I also like Durang, and can't stand Pinchot. If I had to choose one to listen to, I would definately say the original. I'm not even crazy about the DVD.
Rachel's character was a ditzy blonde, and worked well with the songs. Ruthie was just plain boring, and very uncomedic.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Elizabeth_DeBris
#35re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 7:25pm

If it wasn't obvioius already, I love Putting it Together. I have the DVD with Carol Burnett et al, but I've only heard some of the songs from the recording with Julie Andrews (through the glory that is accubroadway).

I love Ruthie Henshall, so even if her performance wasn't fantastic in this, it went unnoticed by me. re: Putting it Together Carol Burnett was hysterical, but I always skip her Ladies Who Lunch. It just grates on me, for some reason. John Barrowman was... well... he was nice to look at. George Hearn, like Ruthie Henshall, can do no wrong, with me, so I enjoyed his performance too. I feel like I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed Bronson Pinchot (is it just the lighting, or does he have tears streaming down his face towards the end of Being Alive?) too.

Highlights:
Lovely
Back in Business
There's Always a Woman
Being Alive
Putting it Together

hannahshule
#36re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 7:37pm

hehe, one of my favorite parts is during the Game Sequence (on the recording) right before the Miller's Son. Rachel's laugh is so funny, she sounds so different then she does now.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#37re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 9:32pm

Does the CD have Rachel York Singing "Sooner or Later"????????

jmnpublications
#38re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 9:52pm

BB18,

Yes, Rachel York does sing SOONER OR LATER on the PIT CD. Yet another great rendition from her.

lc

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#39re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 10:06pm

well, she doesn't quite get it as a solo as it was in the Broadway version. Rachel's "Sooner or Later" is interjected with a few other songs for the first musical sequence in act one...

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#40re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/13/05 at 10:10pm

I enjoyed the Broadway production a lot. Never saw Julie. re: Putting it Together
The night I saw PUTTING IT TOGETHER Barrowman sneezed while they were all facing upstage waiting to sing their solos. When it was Ruthie's turn to face the audience and sing she first faced JB and imitated his sneeze. The whole cast broke up laughing and never quite recovered, for the rest of the show. Carol almost fell to the floor in a fit of laughter.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

hannahshule
#41re: Putting it Together
Posted: 4/14/05 at 7:00am

You can hear an uninterrrupted version of Rachel singing "Sooner or Later" on her new CD

Videos